• Tweets

• Again, don't worry, the defence is really only intended to stop the other side winning by default.  The "meat" of your case is the Witness Statement. We'll have a good read through what you have prepared today and suggest some tweaks. We need to see what UKPC have put in their WS.
    • Anyone had a bad experience of Civil Enforcement Limited (CEL), Greenwich?  I'm considering taking a complaint to our Greenwich MP, to dig into CEL's unlawful and unethical practices.  CEL is making an incredible amount of money scamming motorists with huge, dis-proportionate fines in many cases - looking for any discrepancy and then attempting to bamboozle motorists with legal fear-mongering. I've just won a POPLA appeal after a few months contesting a private land penalty charge notice (PCN) from Civil Enforcement Limited (CEL).  I used the private car park at 237-259 Greenwich High Road, SE10 8NB several months ago - correctly paying for my full stay.  To my annoyance I received a £100 fine a month later from CEL - and only after my querying and sharing my receipts, CEL stated that the fine was because it had taken me slightly longer than 10 mins to acquire a ticket (their small-print terms on the car park sign states the cut off is 10 mins of entry).  CEL immediately rejected my appeal (that the busy/crowded car park caused delays in securing a parking spot, making it impossible to meet the allotted 10 min cut off).  However, I escalated to a POPLA (the independent appeals service for PCNs issued on private land) - who were incredible.  POPLA truly listened to the facts unbiased and collected fair and appropriate evidence, before throwing out the PCN.  It's been a mild annoyance over the past months - but at least I'm vindicated. With the number of terrible reviews of CEL online (*link below), I'm surprised they've been allowed to continue operating at that location (I'm not sure of their practices elsewhere, so cannot comment there).  If anything comes out of this, I urge anyone receiving private land PCNs from CEL, to closely look at the contravention.  If you've genuinely paid and it's not your fault, I'd urge you to appeal to POPLA.  FIVE TIPS IF MAKING A POPLA APPEAL: 1.  Read the instructions and paperwork carefully, and follow POPLA's guidance - 2.  Be clear, concise, but brief in your responses - 3.  Make sure to address every itemised argument that CEL makes (failure to address specific points may work against you) - 4.  Don't be put off by the number of case laws, rules and codes that CEL will cite and throw at you (these are designed to overwhelm and distract - remember that motorists have protections too) - 5.  Familiarise yourself with the relevant section/s of the 'British Parking Association (BPA) Guidelines' if you can. *https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/greenwich_high_road/se10/london/?arriving=202405221830&leaving=202405222030
    • own thread created for this debt. is the address for the date of takeout correct on the paploc reply return agreement copy the rest is std rubble all dca's return with no DN i see. dx
    • Here's the defence - this was submitted before finding this site.  Worried that it is too different from the witness statement in terms of grounds.  will it be OK? Parking appeal UK CAR PARKS defense redacted.pdf
    • Normally Preliminary Hearings or as they were called Case Management Hearings are usually to set directions after allocation if from the particulars of claim or defence are unclear that it requires a hearing for the judge to determine and set directions for the claim to proceed.(N157) So he may direct what is to be disclosed for trial or whether the claimant must further validate their claim....it wont be a he said she said hearing of who did what.   Andy  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Little old me against the big bad bank! *** WON WON WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, although i have done loads of reading and browsing through the threads in the past, I have not been on the site for a some time and need some help quickly from a mod.

I have just recieved my 'Notice of Alllocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing)' The judge has ordered that I clarify the claim by filing in court and serving on the defendant the following:

a) a schedule of charges (I have already sent abbey 3 copies & the

court 1!!)

b) state what the claimant considers to be a proper charge.

I am a bit confused by the latter and I don't want to mess this up. Does anyone know what I should state constitutes a "proper charge"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated from all you experts out there.

Hi Livelylad

The order word for word is:

NOTICE OF ALLOCATION TO THE SMALL CLAIMS TRACK (HEARING)

On 21 December 2006 District Judge Steel sitting at Willesden County Court considered the statements of case and Allocation questionnaires filed and

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. Allocate claim to small claims track.

2. The Claimant do by 4.00pm on 30 January 2007 clarify the claim by filing in Court and serving on the Defendant the following information:

a) in a schedule under the headings 'date', 'amount' and 'description' give details of each item in respect of which a refund is sought.

b) state what the Claimant considers to be a proper charge.

3. Defendant do by 4.00pm on 13 February 2007 file a statment in answer.

4. Parties do by 4.00pm on 27 February 2007 serve on each other copies of all documents to be relied upon at the hearing.

5. The hearing of the claim will take place at 14.30 on the 13 March 2007 at Willesden County Court and should take no longer than 1 hour.

6. The Court is of the view that this matter ought to be settled by sensible negotiation or mediation and will take into account the failure of either party to follow such a course when dealing with the question of costs.

The bit I am unsure of is 1b. state what you consider to be a proper charge. Also, at this stage can I add any other charges that I missed of my original schedule and any that have been added to my account recently??

My particulars of claim are:

1. The Claimant has an account ******* with the Defendant, opened Sept 2001 2. Since 01/02/03 the Defendant debited charges and interest in respect of purported breaches of contract. 3. Defendant is aware of all details as a list of charges has already been supplied. Another copy will be sent. 4. Claimant contends: (a) The charges exceed the Defendant's losses caused by the breaches; (b) The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at Common Law. 5. Claimant claims: (a) return of the amounts debited of £1178; 6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. 7. Costs allowed by the Court.

Thanks very much

Well they want your schedule of charges, but what really concerns me is that they want you to state what you think a proper charge is, how on earth can we make that decision, i think I would be tempted to say that the UTCCR 1999 (I think) states that the charge has to be a true reflection of the ACTUAL COST to the bank in question - the bank need to come back with their true costs for each transgression and not just a blanket penalty charge - perhaps this is a roundabout way to get you to ask for full disclosure

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

b) state what the Claimant considers to be a proper charge.

This Direction is either stupid, irrelevant or an ambush.

I'm not a mod but I deal with contract LDs at work. If an LD specified at the time of contract turns out (under challenge later) to be unenforceable (for whatever reason but including the fact that it wasn't a genuine pre-estimate) then that's that - the 'damaged' party can't then introduce a new (lower) LD term/figure or a new estimate of its loss. That deals with stupid and irrelevant.

As for ambush ........ there's nothing to stop both parties agreeing a new LD clause. DO NOT, under any circumstances whatever (in my humble opinion) offer a figure. Tricky one though - can't be seen not follow Judge's Directions.

Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

Kathryn, just a thought, ring the clerk of the court and just check that this is what the order is supposed to say.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Sorry for the delay in answering.

Ok

I think you should write to the Judge for clarification. Our gut feeling is that it refers to a value.

In principle the response should be something like "a proper charge should be the amount which in law the defendants are justified in asking from the claimant in respect of breaches so that they are put into the position which they would be in had the breach of contract never occurred."

I suggest that the you provide the judge with the draft directions and respctfully suggest that if they are adopted by the court, the defendants will then make a disclosure which will put the question beyond doubt.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionaires.html

Hi everyone and thanks for your responses.

Livelylad, when I submitted my AQ, I attached with it a Draft Order for Directions. So unless the Judge has misplaced these I cant see why he has not adhered to them.

Mad Nick, my claim was not a pre-estimate of charges but a true figure that I gathered from my statements (kept them all). I have not asked for any interest nor any other costs. I have simply asked that each and every charge is refunded, I dont think this is an unreasonable request. I know many others have claimed interest on top.

I don't intend to offer an 'exact' figure as this will just play into the hands of abbey and I also feel that it should be abbey not I, who has to "state what they consider to be a proper charge". No?

Will give the court a ring this afternoon as Lula suggested.

If you attached the Draft order for directions then I think that they might have got the directions a bit wrong - it might be worth asking if they can check for what the judge actually said - respectfully of course

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Mad Nick, my claim was not a pre-estimate of charges but a true figure that I gathered from my statements (kept them all). I have not asked for any interest nor any other costs. I have simply asked that each and every charge is refunded, I dont think this is an unreasonable request. I know many others have claimed interest on top.

I don't intend to offer an 'exact' figure as this will just play into the hands of abbey and I also feel that it should be abbey not I, who has to "state what they consider to be a proper charge". No?

I wasn't actually questioning the legitimacy of your claim however it's constructed. When I said the 'damaged' party can't then introduce a new (lower) LD term/figure or a new estimate of its loss I was referring to the Abbey as the 'damaged' party not you - strictly speaking they are because of our default. Their only problem in claiming LDs is that their charges are not a genuine pre-estimate of loss, disproportionate and therefore unenforceable. My point was that having lost that argument they can't retrospectively charge a lower figure which would pass the pre-estimate/proportionate test - it doesn't work like that. Which is exactly why you are right not to play into their hands by offering them a figure. You must have thought I was living up to my Mad tag. Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

Right... tried calling the courts 3 times yesterday and each time was on hold for over 30 mins! So gave up.

Today however I persisted and finally got through (after 40 mins)! The man I spoke to got my file out and confirmed that the judge had received my Draft Order for Directions (although it seems he did not want to follow it?). He said there had been no mistake with order and that I should attach a letter to judge stating what I consider to be a proper charge but to point out to the judge that I am unsure exactly what he has requested.

I am gonna need some help with this one! I don't want to give an exact figure but at the same time I can't be too vague either. Any suggestions from you guys? It has to be handed in by next tuesday so want to post it by the weekend really.

Just to let you know I am claiming £1178 worth of charges. Also is it possible at this stage to add 2 other charges that completely slipped me by?

Personally and IMHO, I would tell the Judge that as I am not a forensic accountant then the onus is on Abbey to provide to you and the Court an accurate assesment of their charges actually incurred. You cannot with any accuracy provide it as it is the Defendants responsibility to do this as how do they work out the charges in the first place in order to charge what they do? They must have detailed accountancy reports detailing the amounts accrued for each transaction!

PLease point out to the Judge that (if you have used the standard script for your claim) that this information has been requested from the DEfendant and to date has not been provided.

• Haha 1

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Hi Livelylad

The order word for word is:

NOTICE OF ALLOCATION TO THE SMALL CLAIMS TRACK (HEARING)

On 21 December 2006 District Judge Steel sitting at Willesden County Court considered the statements of case and Allocation questionnaires filed and

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. Allocate claim to small claims track. Self explanatory

2. The Claimant do by 4.00pm on 30 January 2007 clarify the claim by filing in Court and serving on the Defendant the following information:

a) in a schedule under the headings 'date', 'amount' and 'description' give details of each item in respect of which a refund is sought. Submit a schedule of charges

b) state what the Claimant considers to be a proper charge. Ok it seems that he is asking for a monetary value. You can quote the recent report regarding bank charges on the money programme, and competition commsioners report saying that a proper charge would be directly proportional to the costs. It is your belief that this would be in the region of £1.50 but in the absence of information from the defendant (which you have requested from them) you are unable to make an accurate assessment of what would be a proper charge. A standard disclosure regarding a breakdown of charges will allow you to enter the correct "proper charge " figure.

3. Defendant do by 4.00pm on 13 February 2007 file a statment in answer. Self explanatory as above.

4. Parties do by 4.00pm on 27 February 2007 serve on each other copies of all documents to be relied upon at the hearing. Court Bundle incl letters and statement copies (and commisoners reports etc from your reply to 2b)

5. The hearing of the claim will take place at 14.30 on the 13 March 2007 at Willesden County Court and should take no longer than 1 hour.

6. The Court is of the view that this matter ought to be settled by sensible negotiation or mediation and will take into account the failure of either party to follow such a course when dealing with the question of costs.

The bit I am unsure of is 1b. state what you consider to be a proper charge. Also, at this stage can I add any other charges that I missed of my original schedule and any that have been added to my account recently?? You can add the charges but it will cost £35 and you will need to complete the N244. This fee is not recoverable and may delay your claim so a better option would be to ask for the charges to be added once they agree to settle if they refuse you will need to start another claim.

My particulars of claim are:

1. The Claimant has an account ******* with the Defendant, opened Sept 2001 2. Since 01/02/03 the Defendant debited charges and interest in respect of purported breaches of contract. 3. Defendant is aware of all details as a list of charges has already been supplied. Another copy will be sent. 4. Claimant contends: (a) The charges exceed the Defendant's losses caused by the breaches; (b) The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at Common Law. 5. Claimant claims: (a) return of the amounts debited of £1178; 6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. 7. Costs allowed by the Court.

Thanks very much

Hope this helps.

Here is a draft copy of what I intend to give to the court. Can someone please give it the once over and make any neccessary changes. Thanks!

1. Please find attached a schedule of charges which gives details of each item in respect of which a refund is sought.

2. The Claimant considers a proper charge should be a true reflection of the actual costs to the defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant. The Defendant should therefore provide to the Claimant and the Court an accurate assessment of their costs actually incurred. The Claimant has never been the subject of debt recovery action, or been pursued for payment of debt, by the Defendant. In addition, the Defendant has never been required to undertake any work other than sending automated letters to the Claimant with regard to Unpaid Items, Unarranged Overdrafts and Referral Charges.

The recent report regarding bank charges on the money programme, and competition commissioner’s report stated that a proper charge would be directly proportional to the costs. It is your belief that this would be in the region of £1.50 but in the absence of information from the defendant (which you have requested from them) you are unable to make an accurate assessment of what would be a proper charge. A standard disclosure regarding a breakdown of charges will allow you to enter the correct "proper charge" figure.

Made some chages myself as re-read it and it didnt make sense. As for the competition commissioner's report I am not sure which one I should have read. Thanks for all your help.

1. Please find attached a schedule of charges which gives details of each item in respect of which a refund is sought.

2. The Claimant considers a proper charge should be a true reflection of the actual costs to the defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant. The Defendant should therefore provide to the Claimant and the Court an accurate assessment of their costs actually incurred. The Claimant has never been the subject of debt recovery action, or been pursued for payment of debt, by the Defendant. In addition, the Defendant has never been required to undertake any work other than sending automated letters to the Claimant with regard to Unpaid Items, Unarranged Overdrafts and Referral Charges.

The recent report regarding bank charges on the money programme, and competition commissioner’s report stated that a proper charge would be directly proportional to the costs. It is the Claimant's belief that this would be in the region of £1.50 but in the absence of information from the Defendant (which has been requested from them) the Claimant is unable to make an accurate assessment of what would be a proper charge. A standard disclosure regarding a breakdown of charges will allow the Claimant to enter the correct "proper charge" figure.

This looks ok.

Should adequately furnish them with what they asked for.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Thanks so much for all your encouragement and help. It really is nice to know so many people are here to help you.

Oh bugger. My laptop doesn't want to let me open the Competition Commissioners Report! I shall have to do without a quote.

Will try and put something in before tomorrow. Lets hope it does the trick eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, well, well would you believe it, Abbey sent me me a settlement letter today for the FULL amount woo hoo!

However, since starting this claim I noticed I missed off a couple of charges on my claim. Is now the time to ask for these and can I reject this offer if they do not refund them aswell?

I am actually quite suprised as I was expecting them to settle closer to my court date on 17th March. Certainly not complaining though!

HUGE thanks to all the MOD's and everyone else for all your help and a donation going the CAG's way as soon as I get my money! x

Well, well, well would you believe it, Abbey sent me me a settlement letter today for the FULL amount woo hoo!

However, since starting this claim I noticed I missed off a couple of charges on my claim. Is now the time to ask for these and can I reject this offer if they do not refund them aswell?

I am actually quite suprised as I was expecting them to settle closer to my court date on 17th March. Certainly not complaining though!

HUGE thanks to all the MOD's and everyone else for all your help and a donation going the CAG's way as soon as I get my money! x

CONGRATULATIONS!!

You can ask them to include the charges in the settlement, if they refuse accept the settlement then start a further claim. I am so glad you won!!

When you say that the proper charge should be £1.50 do you mean that is the figure I should calculate against all the £35.00 fees deducted for failed direct debits in my account ? .... ie I should claim back £33.50 in each case ?

I thought the proper charge was supposed to be £4.50 ?

I am not very good with numbers and wondered if anyone could help me with my claim. I have two accounts with Nat West and believe my claim on both accounts are near the £10,000 mark. I would be happy to pay for the help.

Deanio

Hi Kathryn

Was just reading your thread with interest and believe CONGRATULAIONS are in order.

I am just about to start my claim with Abbey and was just contemplating the best way to go about it as my claim is with interest just under £10K

as to whetehr I should do it in two claims or one due to the value. Also what interest rates did you use? I have calculated mine on the unauthorised rates based on simple interest calculations.

Even more bizzare is that my Barclaycard case is also at is at Willesden and I have just received from Judge Steel his notice to small claims track. I thought at first it was exactly the same as yours, but he has not included the one about the charges which stumped you. He has however also made quite a few points to the defendants they they have to comply with looks like he means business.

Regards

DS