• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

please help can they go in my room

topCatDC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

please help

my son shares a house with 3 other students (girls)and they keep going into his room when he is not there .

He has asked them not to but they do any way .

they claim they are switching off lights ect .

they are now totaly ignoring him . he has payed his share of the rent up to the end of term (june)but he is concidering leaving the house because of the bitchie- ness .

He would be greatful for any serious help

please excuse my spellings

Dave

Your sons room that he pays rent for is his room, i would think that allows him to choose who he wishes to enter into it except off course the landlord. Isnt there a lock on his door? as for the return of rent already paid did your son have to pay this up front or did he decide to do so, if the later then the landlord may return if he decides to terminate agreement early but he must explain to landlord or at least have locks fitted. All depends on what was agreed at time of entry.

Dave, you'd do better starting this again in or getting it moved to the Landlords and Tenants forum.

Your son has a flat-share with three other people right? Is it a joint tenancy arrangement, with a landlord off-site and rent split four ways, or a lodging arrangement with the landlord living in? Tenants have more rights than lodgers, that's why I ask. Simply, no, they should not be going into his room full-stop, especially if he's flatly refused permission for them to do so, and I would get him to write to the landlord asking permission to fit a basic key-lock on his own door (make sure to give the LL a copy if it's all agreed!) to ensure his own security, as university-style shared flats do. Landlords themselves have to give at least 24 hours notice to enter a property for repairs/inspections/maintenance.

If he decided to leave the property early, unless he could get the LL to agree to him finding a replacement tenant on the LL's behalf, he would be liable for the rent for the rest of the contracted period. Do you know if there are any break clauses in his tenancy contract? may be worth checking for if the atmosphere in the flat has soured beyond repair. However, I'd get him to try and sort it out with his friends over a cuppa or something first, as it's far less hassle than moving out and breaking the agreement.

Good luck.

• Haha 1

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Hi there

just to let you all know we contacted the land lord and got permision to put a lock on the door , my son arranged a meeting with the other house mates and the discused the problems about each other over a glass of wine with just the four of them (no mates or boy friends) they took turn and agreed to lisen with no shouting or tantrums. It turns out the problems were just silly things like a squeeking bed or leaving lights on leaving dishes ect. Just like a normal house .

once again thanks

to all for your advice

my son is now staying put

regards Dave

Hi Dave, just read your thread. Glad to see that your son managed to sit down with the other student's and work out and air each other's differences. For future reference I would always recommend that you put a lock on the door to any multi-occupancy dwelling. You should First contact the landlord or agent to resolve this issue prior to moving in. It is likely that the property would be let out by as land agent and if so you should either contact them or the landagent direct.

As a last resort you can contact the local police authority. A crime prevention officer may be able to come out and advise you on what lock or other security measure you should employ. There are also police university liaison officers in most force areas who can mediate disputes like these and try to esolve tem without the need for University or further police intervention. (there are in mine).

To summarise if I attended a call from you son reporting other occupants had entered his private room without consent then I would look at an offence of Burglary or being found on enclosed premises. Obviously that would be on the severe end of the scale, but still an option. More likely the police would talk to the college / university that your son is studying at and they would usually have better procedures in place to deal with these matters i.e. formal warning, suspension or exlcusion.

Hope this helps. Any other advice from a police point of view let me know and i'll help if I can.

hmmm having seen what the police are and aren't interested in - aren't being up to the extent of assault by doorstaff, I think if the police were called for someone having entered someone elses room then they would dismiss it as a 'civil matter'. Also there would only be the op's sons word against whoever went in and if he wasn't even there to witness it I doubt that the police would bother dusting for fingerprints. As for suspension from university I doubt very much that a university would risk the legal ramifications that could occur if someone was suspended for such an incident. ie OP imagine how upset and wanting to sue you'd be if your son got suspended for suposedly threatening one of his housemates due to them entering his room?

All in all I thinks its good that this got sorted out without going to any of these extremes as this would have only increased tensions.

• 1 month later...

a slightly older thread but its good the situation is resolved.

but just as an afterthought, wouldnt this have been along the lines of unlawful trespass any way.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!