verers

help with Charges from my DWP money. Confused

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4621 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

i am hoping someone can help me with an issue i am having with Natwest. Basically i am getting charged stupid money ( charged today £70 for a pos i made on the 16th - even tho there was money at the time, but there was also a DD coming out)

ok so, i rang Natwest and explained that them taking £70 ( making me £65 overdrawn) leaves me with £5 when my next lot of DWP money goes in at the weekend. Which is not enough to feed 5 people and run the car to get the children to school. I have read thro the other threads about banks takig charges from DWP money but when i tried to tell them about this on the phone i was snubbed off, with them telling me they havent broken any laws or anything. and now i am totally confused. The DD that came out of my account was for my car insurance which tbh i had totally forgotten about ( i have been ill the last few months with mental health issues).

So natwest tell me that i am spending my DWP money before i get it ( the DD and pos) and thats why they are taking £70 from me.

after giving them a bit of a month full they agree in the end to pay 50% of the money back into my account and i will still be charged £28 at the end of the month.

Is there anything i can do about this? or am i stuffed becuase i forgot the date that the DD was coming out my account?

Any help is more than appreacted

Thank you for your time.

Guest NATTIE

That is incorrect because DWP or benefits BY LAW cannot be taken from you even if you are over an agreed overdraft. It is the Law plain and simple. Pop into your local branch and ask to withdraw the money, all of it, if they say no, then tell them to phone their lending centre and tell them that it is benefit money. They will then give that to you 100%.

Hi

This happened to me also, Abbey took all of my dss benefits to pay for charges even though I had never before been overdrawn in 15 years. since I had the account.

which left me with £17 to live on for a fortnight which caused extreme hardship as I had no money to put in my electric & gas meter and no money for food.

That is why I am in the process of reclaiming my charges back.

I did not know that this was illegal and I bet others dont either

:rolleyes: shazzy :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice guys.

The bank won't listen to us, nor will the DWP :sad:

Going to start the process of claiming the charges back by post now.