• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

northern Bank charges reclaim **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got reply to SAR within 40-day limit. Have a wee look at Brooksdad v Woolwich thread for info. :)

NEW CLAIMANTS PLEASE FIRST READ FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND FORUM RULES

Link:

FAQ

ANY ADVICE OFFERED IS A PERSONAL OPINION AND IS GIVEN AS SUCH

Where are you at now Nervous - it is now February.:oops:

Hey,hughes690, i have just finished filling in my N1 forms (manually) if you see my thread 'nervous v northern ' you'll see why and i have just finished doing my spreadsheets, attached all and posting recorded delivery tomorrow,pronto! Read my thread, it'll keep you up to date. Happy reading!!:)

nervous.

• 1 month later...

Hi averyone

i am at the stage of having filed my claim with NB for charges toataling approx £6000 on 2 accounts(Incs Interest) I have been asked to attend a meeting with my branch manager and business manager this week. I am vey dubiious of attending this as i also dont want to get a grilling.

Did LTWFB go to his meeting as requested or not?

I would appreciate any advice or help!!!!

Wish me luck

hi......just to let you know we followed lickthewallfatboys footsteps and agreed by letter to meet the bank manager at a venue decided by us and only to discuss the repayment of the charges. The Northern agreed, the meeting was painless and resulted in our money in our pockets again. So go for it on your terms and stick to your guns - there was a fair bit of bartering involved but when we explained we had nothing to lose and were willing to go the whole way to the courthouse the bank caved in. So good luck and think of all those £s soon to be back in your pocket!

tatty bogle

hello out there

just returned from my meeting with NB I met the branch manager and the business manager they said they had to apologise for the senior area manager who could not make it. After some discussion as to what i would accept ( they hinted at 50% of my claim) i said i would not accept anything less than what i am owed and i was prepared to go to ourt to get it. My problem is that the total charges from 3 accounts with NB stands at £7568.00(before interst), can i do 4 seperate small claims to the court?

i have been asked to make an appointment to meet the area manager next week,i am happy to do this but need advice on the 4 small claims issue.

PS

I asked what a referral fee was and how they could justify charging £25 for it.

The answer

" I sometimes wonder what it means myself"

looks like were getting closer to a result!!!!

you could split it up but if the court catch on what your doing you risk not being able to claim your money back beyond the first claim. they say its an abuse of the sc system and wont let you claim on the same accoutn twice

regards john.

people have claimed twice on same account check with lickthewallfatboy however you have to wait until each seperate claim has been settled which can be time consuming i reckon after your first meeting you should wait to see what the area manager has to say just stick to your guns as Tatty has said they got a result so hold fire and dont settle for less than 100% make them aware you are prepared to go to court you have nothing to lose and the publicity that will surround it should be very interesting for all the people of Northern Ireland the media are very interested at present !!

if my advice has been of any help to you then please click the scales ! Thank you :D

Yes, i got a court date! 25th May at 10.30 Newtownards. This is my second claim and I knew it would be more difficult with the Northern this time round. I haven't heard a dickie bird from them but as i have already said on my thread, i am going to prepare my court bundles over the weekend, so roll up your sleeves, Northern guys, I am READY!!

nervous.

Hi Guys

I have 3 seperate accounts that i am claiming on so maybe 3 seperate claims may go through the small claims courts system?

I had re arranged a meeting with the senior area manager for Monday coming and they rang back to say he could not make it........ Surprise surprise!!

They offered me another appointment later in the week but it did not suit me and i insisted Monday was the only day suited me, they rang back to say they had arranged for another senior manager to meet with me instead.

So lets see what they come up with and take it from there

I cant help but feel they are stalling on a face to face meeting, maybe i am wrong!!

Garwil:!:

SUCCESS!!!!!:-D :-D

Well guys

we have done it

i went for the meting with the senior NB manager yesterday and i have to say it was very ammicable!

after some discussion i discovered that i was claiming too much, i had over calculated interest and claimed for items i was not entitled to - they were very understanding.

the newly calculated figure was approx £5000 and after some discussion and bartering we agreed an a repayment of.........£4000.00

what a result. We are over the moon.

all it took was a letter asking for statements, the request for the money to be repaid, we received an acknowledgement saying they were looking into our concerns and next a ophone call asking for a meeting. Money lodged in account today!!!!

I was nervous about this but after some consideration decided to go ahead. But like LTWFB new what my bottom line was before going into the meeting and this is what we got!!!!WHOOPEE:-D :-D :-D :-D No LBA, No Court No Hassle!

They also changed our current account to a fee free one and extended our overdraft facility

What a result!!!!

So to all NB customers out there Go For It!

it is a very straightforward process and you will get a result.

The support from everyone else on this forumn is invaluable - thanks to everyone for there encouragement!

now for the next ones

natwest CC claimed £240 offerd 96 LBA for remainder today

RBS CC claimed £180 refusal letter recived today saying fees are legal - LBA sent

Mint CC as above

Citi cards request for statements sent 40 days past and still waiting

Capital One CC claim for £1000+ lodged clock ticking!!

Can Some One Please move this to the success section or have i to do it myself??

Hi lickthewallfatguy,

Sorry to bother you but bank is making my life hell. A lodgement of £100 was made last Wednesday to cover some direct debits. Yesterday got phonecall to say direct debit was returned-insufficient funds was the excuse bank applied £90 referral charge. Which wiped out lodgement have now discovered not 1 but 4 direct debits returned =£120. Can I do anything our should I JUST WAIT TILL EVERYTHING IS SORTED OUT.To me it looks like punishment for asking for back statements.

Hephalump

• 2 weeks later...

Just read bankfodder's latest info about claiming back from 6 years+.

When the revised "Give us me money back" template letter becomes available demolishing the bank's Limitation Act 1980 defence, Im going to claim back the charges and the 20 or so years of contractual interest on my Northern Bank account from back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Congrats Garwil!! You did very well. If somebody is watching, I need some advice regarding my 2nd claim. My court date is 25th May. Should I send my court bundle to the Northern and the courts or wait a bit longer, cos I have not heard a dickie bird from them and I feel they are waiting for a court appearance. Can someone advise on a covering letter and do i state that this is a continued claim or explain that it is a second claim. I don't think I have much of a choice, cos all my letters are for the £4000.00 plus,and as I did get over £3000.00 I will have to state that they still owe me £1000.00 plus, won't I? Please advise. It's the same question as in my own thread, I am pretty worried on this one!

nervous.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Lickthewallfatguy

Please Have A Look At My Thread As Its Too Drawn Out I Need Help And Bank Doesn't Care About Threat Of Information Commissioners Office

just do what i did-they mucked me about big style and I stuck in an estimated claim and forced their hand.

They are,by the way bound by law to divulge ALL your data whether they like it or not.

By all means go to the ICO- tough talk is cheap,and the Northern can bluster with the best of them....

if and when it gets to court,and they dispute your amount of claim,you just tell the court you had no choice because the Northern refused to abide by the law by giving you your data as rightfully and lawfully requested.Don't forget it took me months to get mine.Make it clear that you personally know of several people who got all their data as requested,and that you feel that you are (the magic words) BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST for whatever reason.The "D" word can work wonders,especially in Northern Ireland ;)

Should redden a few faces.....

• Haha 1

Got phone call 8:54am from head office expressing concerns as to why nothing had been done with regards my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request). Seemingly letters had reached my branch and they had not forwarded (not even one) to be acted on by head office. 12 noon received apology from head office, branch is being investigated and I will have my statements sent recorded delivery to my address.Will have to wait and see. One more thing bank has taken the view that 40 days starts from the date the letter reaches their risk assessment unit. I,m to much of a lady to reply with what was going through my mind to that but the equivalent of it was, what aload of not very nice smelly stuff!

HI LICKTHEWALLFATBOY;)

As I Have Mention Before Have Had No End Of Problems With Bank And I've Took Your Advise Wrote Of Letter Today And Mentioned The D Word. Lets See How Fast They Get Their Butts Into Gear Now

Hephlump

:lol: As far as their concerned I'm going to be Snowwhite ,The Virgin Queen and Mary Poppins all wrapped up in one- oh look poor little victimized me boo hoo. Who cares for the weak and looks out for the dis-enfrachised but underneath!!!They won't know whats hit them.:!: