• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Didge v Egg

Didge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After a successful claim against the Halifax, I'm now after the rest...

SAR written, cheque enclosed and will be posted today.

I's in a fightin' mood now:grin:

HALIFAX

30th Oct 06 - 18th Jan 07 - Success in claiming £3617.95

HALIFAX 2nd claim

5th Mar - 16th Apr - Success in claiming £176

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

17th Mar 07 - Paperwork received - bits missing

19th Mar - Non-compliance for missing bits posted

9th Apr - ICO complaint filed

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

21st Mar - Statements received

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

31st Mar - Offer for £30 rec'd

10th Apr - LBA sent

• 3 weeks later...

Just received acknowledgement of my request and my ID document back. Apparently my relevant information will be sent to me within the next 40 calendar days - the letter is dated the 7th Feb.

Oh, I don't think so - my letter was dated the 20th Jan, don't think Royal Mail are quite that bad at deliveries, so I think we'll stick with my dates, shall we?

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

• 4 weeks later...

Shock :o

Even with an extra couple of days, still no documents.

Good job I didn't hold my breath:wink:

They obviously think I will wait until 40 days from the 7th Feb (their letter).

The Non-compliance letter going in the post today should persuade them otherwise.

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Guest louis wu

Didge, I get the feeling they are about to realise you mean business lol.

Best of luck, although I suspect luck is going to have nothing to do with your claim!!

Well done and keep us updated

• 2 weeks later...

Day 56 - Receive paperwork from Egg. (Sounding like Big Brother here - sorry.)

Have had three accounts; A Boots Advantage by Egg - found five Unpaid DD fees and one Overlimit Charge, each £20.

That turned into my Egg Blue card - no charges from the time of change to present. Was a good girl with that one.

Then there's my Green Egg Card. Found no charges on that one. Hmm. Oh. March-April 2004 seems to be missing. And May-Jun. And July 2004-Jan 2005. Considering this is the one I got into most trouble with, and Egg defaulted me on, and 2004 is the time that I got deeply into financial difficulty...hmmm. Surely Egg wouldn't deliberately withold information...?

Well, I'll just give them a gentle reminder of the missing months - I'm sure they'll be 'oh - silly us - here they are - don't know why you want them though...'

Another couple of strawberry-blonde questions;

- On the charges I have found, because it's on a computer prinout, I can't actually work out the date of the charges - merely the month/year. Would it be acceptable to either put the date of the statement or the end of the month the charge appeared in?

- On the Boots Egg and Green Egg accounts, there appears a 'Finance Charge'. It's usually only pence or a couple of quid, but I'm just wondering what it is and is it reclaimable?

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Guest louis wu

Didge,

As to the statement date. I would use the 1st of the month.

As to the finance charge, don't honestly know. Perhaps give them a ring and ask exactly what it is, if it sounds like a penalty, then put it in the claim. The chances are they will settle before court, and the worse the will do is make an offer minus these charges. See what happens.

Louis

PS, whos getting evicted this week?

Louis

• 2 weeks later...

Still no response or missing information returned. :x

Really don't want to go to court just for getting statements, so have just zipped off a secure message politely inquiring as to when I'm going to get the info. Oh, and a reminder that they're slightly over the 40 days - like by nearly 30...

So I'll just hang on until I get a response from the messaging, and if that isn't positive, then I suppose it's down the courts we go...

Another question - as I have charges from one of the other accounts, could I start the ball rolling with a prelim on that, then add the missing charges if/when they arrive? Or is it better to hang on?

Another another question - It's the Egg Card (green) that I have a default on. This I was told had to happen when I had entered an agreement when I was having problems in repayment and was paying off a token payment each month for a while. It's also the account where I'm missing information, but apart from these missing months, I have absolutely no charges on this card. Can I still request for the default to be removed even though it was not as a result of charges?

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Statements still missing from the months with high probability of unlawful charges need to be vigorously pursued -- check winner Maxine989's experience with similar "accidental omissions". If you draw the attention of Egg's Company Secretary, that if they persist with non-compliance, when the missing pages eventually arrive and show unlawful charges, a complaint against Egg will be sent to their regulator the OFT -- demonstrating a pattern of INTENTIONAL (rather than accidental) withholding of information required by law, quoting your own case and others known from the forum. Culprits cannot be allowed to get away with blatant concealment and defiance of the law.

Legal docouments are meant to be signed and dated, accurate and complete. Within the past 12 months banks faced a 4,000 percent increase in complaints and claims over unlawful charges, no doubt Small Claims Court's experienced an exponential rise in workload. No way should a claim form be submitted, with bits and pieces of supplementaries added later.

If the Default Notice was NOT triggered in error or by unlawful charges, it is hard to see how Egg can be forced by law to retrospectively remove it. DN related to past conduct of the account, not how it is currently conducted. However a whole new area of ongoing litigation has grown up over retrospective challenge to DN, quoting as grounds unlawful charges and interest, unauthorised PPI, and lawful procedure not being followed over the issuing of DN, e.g. Yasmin, Angry Cat. Too many details for me, I have not had time to follow this. If interested, suggest you click SEARCH, ADVANCED SEARCH, DEFAULT NOTICE, selecting to cover only Egg Forum.

Basically credit cards are bound by law to issue a warning letter with certain days of notice before issuing a DN as fait accompli, so that cardholders get a chance to repair the breach. Egg never sends any letters out, relying instead on internet Secure Messages. Not sure if warning letter via the latter channel complies with the law. Not sure if there were or are any trace of such warning was sent, prior to cardholders agreeing to a payment rescheduling.

GL to my strawberry blonde.

PS. Have you paid £2 to check your Experian file? If there is any other DN apart from Egg, hardly worth bothering.

If you do value the removal of DN, would you consider bargaining with Egg? Namely if you withdraw your claim for unlawful charges wholly or in part with full and final satisfaction, would Egg consider removing the DN?

The issuing of a DN is necessary before Egg can resort to law in pursuing arrears and balance, so there may be technical reasons why Egg may not consider such horsetrading.

Thanks for all the info Mister:D

Egg is the only Default I have - defaulted in 2003 which is a year before I thought :o - found my credit file from the end of last year - that and the arrangements I went into with Egg, a loan and a catalogue in 2003 seem to be the only things that would go against me credit-wise. Debating whether just to be patient as it would only be a couple of years before the default drops off my file - not planning to get back into the debt I've just clawed myself out of by applying for more credit.

Have now read Maxine and Yasmin's threads (wow! - Respect!) Making me err on the side of being patient about my default - think if I went ahead, it would have disappeared by the time the courts made a decision!

Think my rule of thumb now is patience with the claims I have remaining - they are not life-changing amounts (I got that back at the beginning of this year), but I'm not just going to lay down and let them trample all over me.

Will see what my secure message will bring and then this quiet, shy wallflower might have to show Egg what happens when they p*** off a redhead...

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Hello D, good luck with your forthcoming efforts, hopefully Egg will not pointlessly drag things out costing you time.

More than most financial institutions Eggployees adopt airs and graces, treating their paying customers like selfrighteous headmasters dishing out detention class. It would do the heart good to right a wrong and wash away bad memories, before putting Egg back into storage where it belongs.

Mr Mind icon12.gif

XX

Had a response to my SMS - 'they're looking into it' and will contact me as soon as they have the missing information.

So patience - I'll let them play their game - the amounts involved aren't huge and I'm not in a position where I'm desperate, so to avoid being accused of harrassment I'll wait for the missing docs.

Just as long as this is settled in time for festival season - it's not a huge sum, but it's some serious drinking allowance ;)

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Another week of absolutely no response and no missing docs sent.

So patience wearing a little thin - have filed a complaint to the ICO. Will compile a letter to that effect to Egg and print it out and send it, just as soon as I have bought some more paper. Though I can just see the person reading it at the other end saying 'am I bovvered?'

Really can't believe they would go so out of the way to obstruct and delay, for what I think is going to be nothing - if the rest of my statements are an indicator.

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Next question:

I know they're probably snowed under too, how long would I be waiting for a response from my complaint to the ICO?

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

April 2007

ICO current response times

All written complaints and enquiries will receive a response within 14 calendar days of receipt. In this response we will either deal with all the matters raised straight away, or where this is not possible, we will write to you to acknowledge your correspondance, give you a reference number and tell you what will happen next including whether we need any additional information from you.

Some matters are more complex than others. Below is some information indicating how long it currently takes us to deal with the complaints, enquiries and telephone calls we receive. By ‘deal with’ we mean ‘responding’ to enquiries, ‘providing the outcome’ to a complaint and ‘answering’ telephone enquiries. All reference to ‘days’ means calendar days.

Complaints and enquiries made under the Data Protection Act or the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations.

66% of all casework in this area is dealt with within 30 days, 91% is dealt with within 90 days, 98% within 180 days and 99% within 365 days of receipt.

Natwest - DPA sent / prelim sent http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/75363-bump-crapwest.html#post656651

Barclaycard - DPA sent

MSDW - DPA sent

GE Capital - Prelim sent http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/store-cards/72853-mr-bump-frasercard.html#post629618

RBS bank - DPA sent

RBS card - DPA sent

Student Loans Co - pending

Egg - DPA pending http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/79992-bump-humpty-dumpty.html#post707138

Hi Didge

You and I are getting similar treatment from Egg, and its being meted out on a similar timetable, too.

I sent my SAR on 26 Jan -- a week after you sent yours. I've not received ANY statements yet, despite reminders etc and I'll be filing my DPA-Non compliance claim at court on Monday.

Egg play dirty. I'm just hoping you and I get our money back before they go bust (which, if there is any justice in the world, they will)!

Thanks for that Bump

And Rose, we WILL crack them - like you, it's not the money - it's for the way they treated me when I was getting into trouble and asked for help too. It does make me angry, looking back at the statements I have, that I wasn't that delinquent with these accounts, yet Egg is the blackest of black marks on my credit record.

We'll go for a nice eggy breakfast when we win, eh?;)

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

• 1 month later...

It's been a while...

Still no missing statements, but really looking and working out the balances, etc. I don't think there are any more charges to come.

So I started the ball rolling with my prelim on 14th May.

Had a response and was offered the £4 difference in Full and Final on the 25th May.

Which, of course, I instantly accepted.

Yeah. Right.

Posted my combined rejection/LBA on Friday.

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Guess what turned up today? A complete set of transactions for my Egg Green card, along with my CCAs, which I had asked for completely separately.

And I was right - in five years of having that card, not a single charge - just when I was in financial difficulty and actually asked for help before it escalated, they helped by putting a default on it, which is the major blip on my credit record now :mad: .

So now on to the CCAs. There is nowhere mentioned about CC Repayment Protector. I know I wouldn't have ticked the box to do it, because I never tick that box, and when I applied for my Egg card, I'd had a Barclaycard for 4 years that had not taken one payment protection charge out ever, because I wouldn't have opted for it. Would it be worth going for a refund? Is the onus on me to prove I didn't tick the box rather than Egg proving I did? As the charges on one card were over £500, it's certainly worth it in that respect, but what are the odds on getting it back?

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

Thanks for that Mister :)

Don't know if I'm brave enough to pursue PPI, but one good thing on my doormat as I got home tonight an offer from Egg for what I've asked for. :D :D :D

As the terms of the settlement ask for confidentiality, I won't say if I'm going to accept the offer... ;)

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

10th Apr - LBA sent

:D :D Congratulations, Didge. :D :D

Really pleased to hear your news.

By the way.... you can simply cross out the confidentiality clause and initial it before sending back your acceptance. Ring them first if you're not sure about this. I did, and it was immediately okayed (I dealt with Guy Someone, who was perfectly civil and easy to deal with.)

Either way, enjoy your money. :D

Didn't we promise ourselves an Eggy Breakfast when we had both reached this point????

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations a bit premature at the moment - sent off a secure message asking about the confidentiality bit, got no response other than 'we'll send it on to the relevant department' and nothing.

So I've posted an acceptance letter (not theirs) this week, hoping that because I was waiting for a response and haven't had one, it's not too late because they put a 14 day limit on the offer.

Cross fingers...

HALIFAX

HALIFAX 2nd claim

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted