• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LivingForever v HSBC - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well after reading these pages for about a month now I feel ready to take the plunge. Our new joint account with Alliance and Leicester is up and running so I spent last night totting up £1050.50 worth of HSBC charges over the last 5 years.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes!

I've printed off the preliminary letter and have also added my own little bit as this is something I feel quite strongly about:

In addition, the constant levying of excessive charges against my account has led to financial difficulty on many occasions, with several of these unlawful charges being incurred as a result of exceeding my overdraft limit purely due to the previous month’s charges being deducted. This has led to a cycle of charges from which it is extremely difficult to escape.

I'm sure no-one will read the letter anyway but I put it in Italics in the hope someone will notice it!

I gather that at this stage there should be no mention of interest, so my 'What I require' paragraph simply reads :

Since opening the account in October 2001, I calculate that you have taken £1050.50 from our account in the way of these charges.

Is that right, or should I have written something there about overdraft interest incurred as a result of the charges?

Thanks for reading!

James

Round 1: HSBC Current account - £1050 of unlawful charges refunded before even filing my claim! (August 2006)

Round 2: HSBC Current account (again!) - £275 refunded after preliminary letter! (June 2007)

That is fine if you are not including overdraft interest...

Good lUck

• Confused 1

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

No, I think to be honest that it'll take me too long and be too complicated to try and work out what percentage of the interest I've been charged over those 5 years was levied on the bank charges!

Letter going in the post today, I'll let you all know what they say.

Do we generally recommend sending it recorded, or even better delivering it by hand?

Cheers

James

Round 1: HSBC Current account - £1050 of unlawful charges refunded before even filing my claim! (August 2006)

Round 2: HSBC Current account (again!) - £275 refunded after preliminary letter! (June 2007)

Do we generally recommend sending it recorded, or even better delivering it by hand?
If you do deliver it by hand, still make sure you get a signed receipt, that acknowledges they have received the lettter. It has been known for hand delivered letters to disappear and later denied being received. There was one person here who when speaking to his branch manger about things and had the manager deny ever receiving such a letter. Fortunately the person had had it signed for and so produced the receipt. The manager went and found the letter. I think this is a true account of what happned. Can't recall who had the experience?

Much as I don't like to say this, as I generally do trust people, don't trust the banks.

Neil.

Well the letter went off recorded delivery last night so they should hopefully get it today or Monday.

Let the games begin!

;-)

James

The letter has been delivered. Counting down the 14 days until letter number 2!

Waiting for the bank not to read your preliminary letter, you might like to amuse yourself trying to calculate how much interest they have taken from you in respect of your unlawful charges over the previous five years. You may find it quite a surprising amount and you may decide that it is worth going for. There is no problem about adding the charges to your letter before action and then to your final claim. That kind of approach might teach the bank to take the opportunity of a reduced claim in the preliminary letter in future (although I doubt it).

Thanks for the useful info - trouble is I wouldn't know how to go about differentiating between interest legitimately charged on my overdraft and interest charged on the fees, is there a simple way to calculate this?

Thanks again!

James

Thanks for the useful info - trouble is I wouldn't know how to go about differentiating between interest legitimately charged on my overdraft and interest charged on the fees, is there a simple way to calculate this?

Simple answer is no. It is complicated and many people don't bother. You'd need to know the interest rate the bank was charging at the time. Unless you're claiming loads back the time spent wokring it all out may not be worth the effort?

Well I received a letter this morning saying that they thank me for my enquiry and someone will be in touch soon, nice to know someone cares, eh?!

Letter before Action is printed and ready to send on Friday!!

;-)

Surprise surprise - 14 days is up and no-one has been in touch!

LBA going off today...

James

• 3 weeks later...

Well I must say I'm disappointed that no one's been in touch whatsoever after two lots of two weeks...

Still, I guess that means more money for me (interest can be added now I'm claiming right?!)

James

Hi James,

I am nearly at the end of the first 14 days and not heard a word, sending off the second letter on the 6th. I sent the first letter by 1st class post so I guessed they wouldn't reply. I intend to send the second by recorded delivery. Out of interest did you send both of yours recorded?

HSBC:

17/06/2006 Settled on offer of £785.00

Cahoot:

25/05/2006 DPA sent. 40 Days to comply.

06/07/2006 Deadline for DPA.

Hey guys,

I have just worked out all my charges and now want to send the preliminary letter. I have read through the FAQ's etc but an confused. What figures do I put in the letter and do I include the 8% interest charge in the preliminary letter?

After that letter has been sent, I guess they'll write to me saying they agree or they don't?

I've calcualted I'm owed just over £500, which I'm surprised at really as I thought it would be a bigger amount.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

I have read through the FAQ's etc but an confused. What figures do I put in the letter and do I include the 8% interest charge in the preliminary letter?

If you had read through the FAQs thoroughly or even browsed around the forums you would know the answer. Almost all of your posts on this site have contained questions which are answered in the FAQs.

Please understand that this could ultimately end up in court, so it is really important you read through the FAQs thoroughly to understand what exactly you need to do.

Furthermore, you need to start your own threads for your own questions.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

OK, thanks for the info. I'm pretty new to all this forum stuff so ur advise is much appreciated!

Thanks

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Hey, don't hijack my thread!! ;-)

Anyway, I spoke too soon - before I got the chance to file my claim I got home today to a letter from HSBC (Phil Beaumont) offering me £875 of the £1100 I'm owed...

Obviously I'm not going to take it but I'm guessing I need to send them a letter now stating that I don't accept it and will be pursuing the full amount. Is there a standard length of time to give them now before filing my claim on Moneyclaim?

Cheers

James

Hey, don't hijack my thread!! ;-)

Anyway, I spoke too soon - before I got the chance to file my claim I got home today to a letter from HSBC (Phil Beaumont) offering me £875 of the £1100 I'm owed...

Obviously I'm not going to take it but I'm guessing I need to send them a letter now stating that I don't accept it and will be pursuing the full amount. Is there a standard length of time to give them now before filing my claim on Moneyclaim?

The day you first told them you'd take them to court if they didn't pay up. In the letter you write refusing the part payment you should put in there the date you will start the claim, giving them another chance to pay before court action.

Neil.

Well I told them it would be Monday the 5th but getting their letter obviously delayed me a little bit.

I think I'll reply to them today stating that I don't accept but will be willing to accept the full amount as a goodwill gesture and avoid them having to pay interest! I'll say that if I don't hear from them within 7 days I'll assume they don't accept my offer and will begin proceedings. (Use their own words against them!)

Is it worth accepting their offer but not as full and final, and then making a claim only for the rest of the money? Or should I just refuse and make a claim for the full amount?

James

Is it worth accepting their offer but not as full and final, and then making a claim only for the rest of the money
Yes..that is the best response. Be short and to the point in your response. Good luck. :cool:

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks very much guys.

In fact at the bottom of the letter they've sent me there's a part for us to sign which says 'I/We accept the sum of £875.00 in full and final settlement of this matter against the bank.'

So what I'm going to do is sign and date this but cross out the "in full and final settlement of this matter against the bank" part, write instead "as part payment of this matter against the bank" and send this off recorded post along with a letter explaining that we accept their offer as part payment and will be pursuing the remainder if not refunded within 7 days from now.

The ********* have also whacked another £50 worth of charges on our account this month so that's another £50 to add to the total! (MOD - Language please!!)

James

Oops, sorry for the profanities!!

;-)

Here's what I'm writing to them today - any thoughts?

"Dear Mr Beaumont,

I refer to your letter of 1st June 2006 offering a figure in the sum of £875.00 in relation to the charges levied against our account.

We accept this offer as part payment in relation to this claim and would ask that the remaining £225.50 be refunded to the account in question within 7 days to avoid further action.

This remaining £225.50 is comprised of the remainder of the initial charges of £1050.50, plus £50 charges levied on our account on 29th May 2006 despite our request in our previous letter of 19th of May for these to be cancelled.

Yours sincerely,"

Sounds fine to me.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks