style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have/had an account with YB. I encountered money problems which were made 100x worse by their regieme of charges.

They have asked me to pay what I owe to them.

I sent off a DPA request letter to them including the £10, they have sent me a letter back saying

"thankyou for the £10, it was not what we were expecting please send full payment"

even though in my letter I said I would be claiming charges they levied against me and would be using this to offset what I owe them. I believe the ammount I owe them will be dwarfed by what they owe me.

I want some advise on what to do now. I sent the letter to a collections address, should I send another letter, this time without the £10, but where to?

Help please anyone.

We sent ours to the local branch. I would send to Mr Gordon Watts. Check JImo's post below yours on the last page. His Address is there but dont expect too much.

We are in the process of taking them to court for the charges going back 6 years ago for 2 years (when I was young, not so sensible with money and enjoyed life to the max) . They seem to play delay tactics all the time and I am trying to put a stop to it.

Hi jmahdavi,

Their collections are absolute [words I can't use on this forum]. I've had exactly the same thing but have finally managed to gag them. I owe them £300, they owe me £2200.

Send your DPA request & £10 off to your branch, then send a letter to collections (Leeds address), include in it the following:

1. You are disputing the funds are owed & as the banking code states that collections action will not be taken on funds in dispute you will not be paying them anything until your dispute over said funds is sorted out.

2. When you expect your claim/complaint to have reached their head office (40 days for DPA plus a couple of days for you to send your request for payment).

3. That you'll not enter into a discussion about this with them.

4. You'll only deal with them in writing & not over the phone.

5. You will not give them any details about the claim & will not enter into any further dialog with them regarding it. Any info they require they will be able to get from their head office after the date you work out for point 2.

If you'd like a copy of the letter I sent to them PM me & will gladly let you have it.

Onto the DPA request.

When you get the letter from Network Support saying they have your request & are dealing with it PHONE THEM. Ask them when they will be ordering your statements (they'll tell you this). 3 days after the date they say they are ordering the statements phone your branch, tell them statements have been ordered for you & for security reasons you'd like to collect them from the branch rather than them send to Network Support to send to you. By doing this you'll get your statements in approx 10 days rather than 40. NOTE, you'll have to call your branch every day to check if the statements have arrived to prevent them being sent up to Glasgow. Your statements will arrive in 2 lots, usually a day apart (pre & post July 2005), keep phoning until you have both lots in your mit.

Anything you don't understand let me know & I'll clarify.

Take care & don't let collections bully you or mess you about, they'll try every trick in the book but you have the upper hand as you are in the right & they will eventually have to let go of the bit.

Trunny

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

• 2 weeks later...

Ok heres an update,

DPA posted to YB on 28th April 2006,

Letter recieved from collections on 4th May saying 'cough up'

Now today letter recieved, dated 16th May, ackowledging my request for statements and stating they have 40 days, but I assume that this 40 days is from around the 28/04 and not 16/05? Anybody?

Seccondly they write:

"We also note your request for disclosure of data relating to manual intervention on your account. This is not data which you are enititled to receive under a data subject access request and accordingly no such disclusire will be made."

Is this what other people have experienced? Should they disclose these details to me?

This is pretty much the way mine went. My understanding is that they have to send info within 40 days of receiving payment for DP disclosure. They acknowledged receipt of this even though they did not seem to know what the £10 was for. Did you make it clear is was a DP disclosure request? I got a similar letter saying the branch would send info, and had a copy of all statements from the opening to closure of my account within a few days. Never got anything on manual intervention though, so I take that to mean there wasn't any.

I am not an expert, but this is my interpretation so I hope it helps.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They are aware of the fact this is a DP disclosure and they understand the £10 covers the request for the statements too.

They are not saying if there were or weren't manual interventions, they are flatly refusing to give details of this as they say I am not entitled to know this information.

Interestingly when I contacted them about when the statements would arrive, they told me that they are all generated centrally and not at branch level anymore!?

I think my situation could turn into a nightmare as my original branch closed and it was moved by them to another holding branch, has anyone been in this situation and had any problems?

Is your holding branch close by (you'll get your statements much quicker by collecting them from the branch)? They are printed centrally (in 2 different places pre & post 2005) but they'll be sent to your holding branch for them to send up to HQ.

I wouldn't worry too much about the manual intervention stuff for now. Just concentrate on getting the ball rolling with your statements & getting collections off your back.

FYI - YB's response to my initial request for refund was an offer of a sum of money & to write off any funds owed. So, you should be rid of collections as soon as you start the ball rolling but you need to get your 1st request for refund in as quick as you can.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

I shouldn't worry too much. I am sure that if you need to take them to court they will soon get their act together, and then you will be able to get 8% for as long as it takes, so you will get your revenge;)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Is your holding branch close by (you'll get your statements much quicker by collecting them from the branch)? They are printed centrally (in 2 different places pre & post 2005) but they'll be sent to your holding branch for them to send up to HQ.

No my branch is now about 2 hours drive away!

Why arent they just posted direct to me from the central locations, is this just a delaying tactic to have them sent to two locations before they arrive to me!

When can i start to include 8% in my calculations just out of interest?

you can't add the 8% until you file a claim with the small claims court. If they agree to settle before it reaches this stage, then you'll just be able to get back the amount they've actually taken.

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

If, and only if, you have to claim through the court, you can add 8% interest from the day the charge was put on you account up to the present day. There are a couple of very useful spreadsheets in the library that work it all out for you very easily.

Take a look at the FAQ's too. While you wait for YB to get their act together you can make yourself more familiar with the process and work out your next steps.

I am not sure if it is a ploy to put you off or just incompetence on the part of YB.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i now have my statements and have worked out the total charges they have levied against me.

My question now is, as information around this seems a little sketchy and forgive me if this has been asked before, do I now send a Prelim or an LBA, or Prelim followed by LBA after 14 days?

Cheers

jmahdavi

My question now is, as information around this seems a little sketchy and forgive me if this has been asked before, do I now send a Prelim or an LBA, or Prelim followed by LBA after 14 days?

Prelim followed by LBA after 14 days.

Please read the step-by-step guide in the FAQs so you know exactly what steps to take. It's very clear and not at all sketchy.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

So

I have recieved, what appears to be a standard reply from Neil Mckirdy, to my Prelim, and I want to know should I wait to the 14 days to send the LBA, hence this looks good on my part or should I send it as they have refused to send money.

Next when I do send LBA I assume i should send it to the department Neil is in? Or to him specifically?

Finally has anyone been sucessful in claiming charges from YB? If so who and at what stage did they pay?

cheers

What was the gist of the standard letter.

1 We are looking into your complaint.

or

2 Sod off

I sent mine to Neil McKirdy only which might have been a mistake as he is in Scotland where things are different. I would suggest you send one the LBA to the branch with a copy to Neil McKirdy. I see a lot of posts advising to wait the 14 days, but I do not see their is anything to gain by this as they have already given their answer. It's up to you if you follow my advice or not.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks