• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

FARM Business Account V Northern Bank

Clare11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I heard nothing from them since 22 Feb when I noticed ONLINE that the Northern Bank had lodged a NOTICE OF DISPUTE.

Then today (28 FEB) I checked my claim online and the following appears

27-Feb-07 Transfer (Civil) Case

I take it this means they are lodging a defence?

I dont see any court date showing yet..

What other "surprises" can I expect? smiles.

Kind regards

Clare

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LTWFB..

Thank you! I will just keep watching and waiting. I will keep you informed.

However in the meantime....Martin Lewis of www.moneysavingexpert.com

says the following in his weekly email which I received today.

Bank Charges Reclaiming. Payouts may be cut. Act now!

In April, the Office of Fair Trading will give its opinion on the appropriate amount for bank charges. My guess is it'll be £12, though the banks predict higher and I think it should be lower. The banks will be under huge pressure to drop charges across the board, and will probably fall into line. This won't stop people reclaiming past charges, however banks may only offer the difference between £12 and the amount you were originally charged (e.g. £35 - £12 = £23). If you don't accept it, the risk they may defend in court for the first time, citing the OFT ruling, is a tiny bit higher.

To avoid all this, reclaim now!

Clare, i got my first settlement. It was lodged into my account today. So i have just completed my spreadsheet for the second and will post it tomorrow recorded delivery. Just read that about the fees, it was bound to happen and people should be claiming now, because if they get to court claim stage, it will be taken from the date of claim and if it's before April, they will get the full refund, hopefully.

nervous.

Hi Nervous.

You are making me even more jealous!.....But well done!

What are you going to do with all that money?

It feels the same as "drawing blood from a stone" to get our money back from the Northern Bank....smiles

Perservance will win the day!.....

Kind regards

Clare

You know when you said the northrn lodged 'dispute'? well, they did that to me, after offering the full settlement for the 1st claim!! just discovered that a few minutes ago!! How stupid is that? anyway, just added up my 2nd claim and it comes to £1313.06 plus the 8%.

nervous.

Hi Nervous.

All I can think why they settled with you so quickly is that IF you left them they would stand to loose alot more.

You are probably a good customer .....in the nicest way of course....smiles.

I am sure the Northern Bank will be delighted when you sting them for a second time!!....smiles..

I hope a letter or something arrives tomorrow in the post from the Northern Bank!

Kind regards

Clare

Yes, I hope you do too, Clare. I think the banks are running scared at the moment, what with all the news regarding their profits etc. So, fingers crossed for you.

nervous.

P.S. I'm off now with my letter for recorded delivery as well as the letter to the small claims stating that the bank settled (1st claim) and that i am withdrawing my application. I personally feel that this 2nd claim WILL be a fight, it has to be!!But i won't be happy until i get all of my money back!

nervous.

Hi Clare, posted off my second claim . Went onto the small claims online and do you know that the we had a court hearing for the 29th March???? What i don't understand is that they had typed their settlement letter on the 21st Feb. and we received it ON the 22nd. the same day that they had lodged their dispute?!!!!! I just don't get it!! The judges will start to lose their rags, because this is time wasting in the biggest sense..... it's wasting the Judges times and all this cancelling is costing money in the long run to the taxpayer!!!!

nervous.

Hi Nervous.

I am glad you told me that the Northern Bank had infact lodged a defence resulting in a date being allocated for the court hearing.

Seems all nonsensical to have done so and on the same day wrote you a letter of settlement.

I thought they were "picking" on us when they lodged a defence against us!

So no one should be too alarmed when the Northern Bank lodges a NOTICE of DISPUTE or DEFENCE.

This only confirms what LTWFB said all along....."....its standard practice" with the Northern Bank.

As for our claim........as predicted the Northern Bank lodged a defence but this morning no date or court has yet been allocated.

We have not received any communications from the Northern Bank since we filed against them on the 1st Feb. Viewing my claim online is my only way of finding out what the Northern Bank is up to.

Nervous......if I were you I would be very wary of staying with the Northern Bank. In future they could be very awkward with you when e.g. you ask about a loan etc. They may want "revenge" at some stage.

As you know we left them years ago so they mean nothing to us.....smiles.

Kind regards

Clare

Bring out the champagne!!!!!!!!!!..

Corks popping everywhere.!....

Celebration Time in here!!

Yes...today we received a cheque in full settlement!!

Gosh......this is fantastic news!

If you read this thread you will know there were times when my spirits were low.

Everyone seemed to be getting money back on claims filed long AFTER we filed ours......smiles

Perseverance won the day.......smiles.

But thanks everyone for your help and advice AND encouragement.

It is all much appreciated.

As this was a FARM business account I would encourage members of the farming community to get their hard earned money back and claim now!!

Kind regards

Clare

By the way...the Northern Bank said they would be contacting the small claims court and tellling them that the claim has been paid in full.

I suppose I should do the same online? Its the least I can do!:)

Hi "young fella".....

LTWFB doesnt lie. ....thank you.......smiles.

The small claims court ON LINE recommends NOT to withdraw your court action until CHEQUE IS CLEARED!.....

You know.......I am walking on air.....today.......lol...

It feels good......smiles.

Congrats Clare

I'm just setting off on my adventure against Northern and noted that you didn't claim 'Maintenance Fees'. From my statements the following entries stand out out but now I'm unsure whether I can claim them. Could you please point me in the right direction so I can get in before the dreaded April deadline.

ID Narrative Debit

FE (Strangely no narrative) £8.50

DX Arrangement Fee £25.00

DX Warning Letter £11.00

FE Referral Fee £11.00

DX Unpaid Charges £37.50

FE DD Setup £4.25

FE DD Cancellation £8.50

Hi Lizzie.

The items we claimed back from our statements :-

Referral Fee,

Unpaid Charge

Warning Letter

Sadly "NO" to the following as they are standard SERVICE charges

FE DD Setup

FE DD Cancellation

Maintenance Fee

DX Arrangement Fee

I am unsure about

FE (Strangely no narrative) £8.50 but I am nearly 100% certain it includes interest added on when overdrawn (which they are permitted to do if you were drawn) but at the higher rate of interest.

We left the Northern Bank in 2004 so "wordings" may have changed since then.

So remember......GREEN is Yes, RED is NO.....smiles

Unless someone knows diffferently

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Clare

Congrats Clare

I'm just setting off on my adventure against Northern and noted that you didn't claim 'Maintenance Fees'. From my statements the following entries stand out out but now I'm unsure whether I can claim them. Could you please point me in the right direction so I can get in before the dreaded April deadline.

ID Narrative Debit

FE (Strangely no narrative) £8.50

DX Arrangement Fee £25.00

DX Warning Letter £11.00

FE Referral Fee £11.00

DX Unpaid Charges £37.50

FE DD Setup £4.25

FE DD Cancellation £8.50

HI there, if you read my thread 'nervous v northern bank' you'll see that i too received settlement for first claim. I included ALL of the above except arrangement fee, setupfee and cancellation fee. They are not to be included! I did include maintenance fees because they were a behind the back door charges relating to the overdraft fees. See Bankfodders sticky on charges in the Northern Ireland Banks. It made VERY interesting reading and i will include that in my court bundle for my second claim whixch has just been submitted.

nervous.

Well done , Clare!! :D That is brilliant news and I knew it would happen just like LTWFB said!! I got my notice of a court hearing for the end of March TODAY!!! How weird is that? I double checked the settlement letter and yep there it was, written on the 21st Feb the same day that they lodged their dispute!!!!!!? What angers me is that it is the taxpayer who will pay for all the legalities arranged for the court hearing and it would be time for the judges to fine the banks thousands for time wasting!!

nervous.

P.S. Keep reading my thread, i am still not finished with my full claim.

Hi Nervous......

Thank you!.......and I wish you well in your next claim.

But.......

I think you were very lucky to have been paid the MAINTENACE FEES.

I have read elsewhere that they are a SERVICE charge and NOT a penalty charge that is why I didnt risk claiming them back.

Would you care to take a bet on it.? smiles.....

your winnings from the Northern Bank as your stake? smiles.

Someone help us here......smiles.

Kind regards

Clare

Thanks for the advice Clare/Nervous - prelim letter sent for just shy of £2K. Will keep you informed.

Yes, please do Lizzie77, because I included my maintenance fee of £62.00 in my second claim. IF you read what Bankfodder says re; the maintenance fees and charges, it is VERY clear, that one can claim on the maintenance fees because they are inclusive of overdraaft interest charges as well as the handling fees for the overdraft interest, if you get what I mean!! Anyway, to prove thepoint, it has been announced today by the consumer assoc; that the Big 4 Banks MUST be clear in their explanation of charges and overdraft and they MUST give 14 days notice of any pending charges etc etc. This is only a provisional statement and the official statement will be announced in May. We are not stupid and we do realise that the provisional statement ordered by the Consumer group is tantamount to being the Official statement! So there to the Big 4!!!:p

Claim for what I said and yes the £8.50 that is still an unlawful fee/charge!

Nervous.