• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

FARM Business Account V Northern Bank

Clare11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wrote letter to Northern Bank on 9th Jan 07 requesting a refund of bank charges.

Later discovered should NOT have included Maintenance Fees.

Sent another letter recorded delivery with amended bank charges list and posted it on 15th Jan and demanding all the default charges in 14 days or else......

Hubby received phone call (17th Jan) from Senior Branch Manager who wished to discuss the charges. Hubby refused to discuss matter on phone saying all was clearly stated in the letter and so conversation was ended.

I expect a "nasty" letter in post from Northern Bank tomorrow.....smiles...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another letter received today (20th Jan) as follows.

"Customer complaint 9th January 2007 and

subsequent letter of 15 January

Dear Mr XXX

I refer to your letter dated 15th January 2007 regarding your request for refund of fees in relation to your account previously held in XXX Branch.

All complaints are taken very seriously. I will respond to you as soon as my investigations are complete, and in any event, within the next 20 working days.

I have enclosed for your information a copy of our internal Complaint Handling Procedures "Putting Things Right For You." These procedures confirm how to pursue your complaint if you remain dissatisfied and how to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service if we cannot resolve the matter.

No matter what, they have until the 30th Jan to settle in full or we start court action?

Another letter received today (20th Jan) as follows.

"Customer complaint 9th January 2007 and

subsequent letter of 15 January

Dear Mr XXX

I refer to your letter dated 15th January 2007 regarding your request for refund of fees in relation to your account previously held in XXX Branch.

All complaints are taken very seriously. I will respond to you as soon as my investigations are complete, and in any event, within the next 20 working days.

I have enclosed for your information a copy of our internal Complaint Handling Procedures "Putting Things Right For You." These procedures confirm how to pursue your complaint if you remain dissatisfied and how to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service if we cannot resolve the matter.

No matter what, they have until the 30th Jan to settle in full or we start court action?

Hi Clare11, Well, it must be our lucky day! I got my reply back this morning as well ( read my thread) and what a lot of baloney it was too!! I am furious, especially when they refused to extend our o/d facility and continued to charge us for going overdrawn. That's why i want to go to court because i want the judge to hear that! We seem to be at the same stages watch my threads as well!!

nervous

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clare good luck to you when going to court as i said for nervous, i'm taking halifax to court once i figure out exactly what to do then i'm coming after good old northern bank lol!!

Claim with Halifax Current Account settled for £2000 4th Jan 2007 :D

2nd Lba to halifax credit card sent 16th jan 2007 for £1200

S.A.R. request sent to mbna 3rd Jan 2007

S.A.R request sent to northern bank 3rd Jan 2007

hello again......

No further correspondence received from the Northern and it seems I will have to file for the small claims court for the penalty charges on our BUSINESS account.

I might just extend the deadline another day....

I am going to need guidance on this part.....BIG TIME......smiles..

If I can....should I do it online.....or do it "manually"...? smiles.

Hi Claire

I'm in the same boat, and i'm searching and searching for a step by step program, so anything i get i will pass on.

Claim with Halifax Current Account settled for £2000 4th Jan 2007 :D

2nd Lba to halifax credit card sent 16th jan 2007 for £1200

S.A.R. request sent to mbna 3rd Jan 2007

S.A.R request sent to northern bank 3rd Jan 2007

hello again......

No further correspondence received from the Northern and it seems I will have to file for the small claims court for the penalty charges on our BUSINESS account.

I might just extend the deadline another day....

I am going to need guidance on this part.....BIG TIME......smiles..

If I can....should I do it online.....or do it "manually"...? smiles.

Clare11, don't extend the deadline. you are strong enough and remember we are all doing it together. I'm doing mine tomorrow and yes i'm doing it online, it's quicker and it'll prevent me from making an excuse of ' well, tomorrow is another day' ( Clark Gable in Gone with the Wind). So, come on we'll do it together.

nervous

The postman arrived today....no correspondence from the Northern Bank. Their time was up yesterday so I have no option but to now go and

(1)...add on the interest!

(2).... Go to this site and I will attempt to make the claim online.(fingers crossed)

https://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/default.htm

I think I have to more or less keep 3 copies of everything.....IF I have to go to court.?

But I have a few questions needing answered.

(a) Our business account was in joint names although one signature was only needed for any cheques. I have kept all correspondence in my hubbys name .......will I continue to do so? Hubby asked IF he has to go to court who will represent him? I said "I"would. ( his mouth hit the ground) ....lol...... I will be allowed to represent us both? I feel confident to do so. They surely wont bar me for attending?

(b) All along I sent all correspondence to local branch and their local business centre .....so do I now make my claim in the small claims court against the Northern Bank's Head Office in Belfast?

Any other advice? remembering of course this is a BUSINESS account

Clare

And another question.....

I know for certain that the account was CLOSED on XX May 2004

BUT.....we are uncertain even to what year that account was opened. There were legal matters involved when hubbys father died and it could have been 1980 but we cant say for definite. How do I over come this problem when filing online for the small claims court

Advice urgently needed....

And another question.....

I know for certain that the account was CLOSED on XX May 2004

BUT.....we are uncertain even to what year that account was opened. There were legal matters involved when hubbys father died and it could have been 1980 but we cant say for definite. How do I over come this problem when filing online for the small claims court

Advice urgently needed....

Clare11, Hi.

I'm also getting all my bumpf together and once again keep getting different balances. I know your case is re; business but even so, unless I am wrong, can they go back further than 6 yrs? If your account was closed in 2004, you are then going back to 1988? Phone up Head Office and just ask them outright the date when you opened the account. But i am slightly confused because did you not have all the details for claiming for 6 yrs or were you only going back as far as 2000? If you do not want to phone the head office, what about the solicitor who dealt with the probate of your father in law's estate? There will be info regarding opening and closing of all accounts.

Let me know how you got on. I tried checking the business section, but couldn't find anything? If as a last resort, go and check out the Mods and see who is on line and PM them .

Nervous.

I can only claim back to as far as Nov 2000 to May 2004 when we left which is a shame but that is the law.

I would like to think that such info about when the account was originally opened would NOT be given over the phone! That would surely indicate a lack of security on their part to tell in such a fashion. I dont want to delay this form filling online any longer... smiles

kind regards

Clare

Clare-in particulars of claim,just word it to state that to the best you can establish,it was opened by your father in law in or around 1980....it wont make any difference to your claim if you get it wrong-and I have my particulars of claim on hand .If you need them PM me and I'll send them to you as I have just done for nervous.....

if you feel happier by putting in the exact date,they will tell you if you go into the branch and ask them.

Hi Clare11,

Yes, thank god, you're there too! It makes me feel that at least I can't be that stupid! You're right, we will have to go to the courts and fill in the forms, doh! I think i may have beaten you to that glass of wine, though, i have had mine sitting here for quite a while, cursing at the stupidity of the facilities that are not available!!

Anyway, good luck and keep watching the threads, at least we can give each other support and watch with baited breath.

Night. nervous;)

Well....I have done it!.......Be it right or wrong! I filed my claim ONLINE!

I wish I had taken a copy of it.....smiles......

Hopefully I can view all I have written at some stage incase I have left something out?

But its more difficult on line because you are only allowed 2000 CHARACTERS and being a woman I have so much to "say".....smiles. I think last night I just had a bad case of "verbal" diahorrea !! Hopefully they have got the gist of it all.

I have just one more question that needs answering..

In my first claim for payment to the Northern by letter I made an error in that I included charges outside the period allowed....(genuine mistake) because they sent statements going back to 1999 instead of 2000.

Wrote to them a second time asking for it back MINUS the maintenance charges which I again added by error....

Now my total claim online is reduced because I since learnt that I could only go back as far as Nov 2000. But I have said (online) that the bank charges are dated back to Nov 2000 to XX 04.

So do you think they will question all those different amounts in the past?

And should I post the Branch manager the "proper list" of charges with interest....

OR......just wait and see.

You know I should have taken my time and not rushed into things .....patience is not one of my virtues....smiles.

Letter arrived today from the Northern Bank dated 2 Feb 07 .

The strange thing is....I wrote to my local branch at the start, the next letters came from the BallyXXX Branch and this one came from the SERVICE RECOVERY , Donegall Square West, BELFAST

I am sure many have received a similar letter!!

Dear XXXX

I refer to your letter dated X January 2007 addressed to XXXX Senior Branch Manager, regarding your dissatisfaction with the charges which have been applied to your account. In accordance with our Internal Complaints Procedures the matter has now been referred to Service Recovery for investigation. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

All complaints are taken very seriously and I have arranged for the matter to be investigated. I will respond to you as soon as these investigations are complete, and in any event, within the next 20 working days.

For their information......I filed against them on 1 FEB!! I was scheduled to do so on 30 Jan..according to MY timetable.

I made a phone call today at the civil processing centre and was told the "papers" will be served on them tomorrow.....and that they will have until 5th March to respond!

Thats all for now.......

Kind regards

Clare

Thats the job clare just sit back now and let them do some work for a change of course frm time to time check the courts website to see if they file a defence !

if my advice has been of any help to you then please click the scales ! Thank you :D

hello Paddy.

I wanted so much to "click on your scales" for all your help. But it says I must spread more "Reputation" to others before giving it to you......lol....Dont know what my hubby would think..lolol

What a shame......smiles

Another time perhaps? lol

Thanks Paddy

And of course LTWFB is a gem too!! Apparently I have already given him "reputation" and cant give him any more either.....smiles.

Sorry boys!

Kind regards

Clare

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,Clare11, have you heard anything from the small claims yet? I haven't heard a dickie bird. No claims number and no copy of my claim. I know they have cashed my cheque but I thought I would have heard something by now!! I'm not sure how long it really takes, do you? Keep me posted, or I should say, keep us all posted.

nervous.:o

Hi Nervous.......

"All is quiet on the Northern front"...smiles

Havent heard anything yet. I just keep checking my claim online and I see there have been no developments. But they have until 8th March to respond.

IF a cheque from the Northern Bank had arrived in the post today I would have forgiven hubby for not sending me a valentines card.....smiles..

But he says every day with him is "valentines day"....Cheap skate..smiles

Hubby is in the "dog house" tonight....smiles.....

Kind regards

Clare