• Tweets

• I don't think they did meet, TJ. I don't think Truss saw Trump either, did she?
    • I guess the inquiry will decide, I haven't heard or read the evidence the way they have.
    • Did farage get to see trump and kiss his  err boots after being 'called' to see his err mate? I cant see any reference to trump even seeing him? Trump to busy ? LOL
    • understand that HB, yet much of it that has 'come out' seems smoke and mirrors - like the pointing at and questioning of data clerks   the core issue remains the same Who set these practices, and hid the known data issues? Vennells obviously presided over it and has no excuses - but those gov board members effectively were her bosses - representatives of the shareholder. If they weren't embedded in the issue, then why wasn't there more openness and correct direction from them? Including replacing Vennells etc Like with vennells - no excuses.
    • Below is my proposed letter of claim to Yodel. I would welcome comment.   Dear Yodel, Claimant x: claim for breach of contract loss of package xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I am making a claim against you claim against for breach of contract relating to your loss of a package valued at £150.00. I refer to two webchats that I have had with your organisation following which I was advised that Yodel were not prepared to recompense me for my loss. This letter is being sent to in accordance with the Practice Direction on Pre-action Conduct and Protocols (the Pre-action PD) contained in the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR). In particular, I refer you to paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Pre-action PD concerning the court's powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with its provisions. Ignoring this letter may lead to our my commencing proceedings against you and may increase your liability for costs. Circumstances leading to my claim against Yodel On 14 June 2024, I made a sale on eBay of a set of 3 Kirkland Signature golf wedges (‘the goods’) at a price of £150.00 plus £6.00 postage. I received payment from the purchaser via eBay and on 15 June I purchased postage from eBay’s Packlink. Packlink arranged the delivery of the package to the purchaser with Yodel. Having packaged the goods in wrapping paper, I delivered them on 15 June to the Shell petrol station on ……..and a tracking number of  xxx was given. Tracking showed that the package made it to your Leeds Depot on 15 June but thereafter the package went missing. The Purchaser had been advised that they were ready for collection at her local depot in Preston but they could not be located in Preston. I personally attended your Leeds depot where your helpful staff confirmed that the package had been scanned into that depot and was also scanned going onto one of your trailers (7DL 1436) bound for Preston but that thereafter the package was not scanned again and could not be located either in Leeds or Preston. Due to non-receipt of the goods, I was required to refund the buyer her £156.00. I have sought compensation via Packlink but they are only prepared to pay ‘basic compensation’ of £25.00. Through your webchat I have sought to make a claim against Yodel but have simply been referred back to Packlink suggesting that I do not have any rights against Yodel. You are referred to the The Contract (Rights of Third Parties Act) 1999 upon which I rely and which give me the right to sue on the contract just as if I was a directly contracting partner. I was a discernible beneficiary of the contract entered into by you with Packlink to deliver the package on my behalf. As the sender of the parcel I was somebody who was intended to benefit under the parcel delivery contract. In breach of contract, you failed to exercise reasonable care and skill to deliver the package to the purchaser but instead have lost the package. Given the scanning history of the package, it is likely to have been misappropriated whilst in your custody – a failure to take reasonable care to avoid such misappropriation.   My Claim against Yodel I wish to claim the sum of £150.00 being the value of the goods lost by Yodel   Relevant documents I enclose copies of the following documents that are relevant to this matter: 1.    A screenshot of the eBay sale of the goods and the tracking notes.   Alternative dispute resolution I am prepared to consider ADR.   I  look forward to receiving confirmation that accept liability for these matters, together with a full settlement of my claim, within [21] days of the date of this letter, namely by [DATE].] [In the absence of a full response by that date, I will issue and serve proceedings without further notice. Yours faithfully,    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Dishwasher/Mastercare nightmare

ashlem
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Firstly let me intorduce myself as this is my first post. I am 26, live in London and wish I had seen this and the numerous other forums about mastercare and how awful they are before I bought all my applicances at Currys!!

Just wondering if you can help me, I have summarised (no honestly) all of the problems I have been having and just wanted to see if you had any suggestions as to how to take this forward. Am a bit of an emotional wreck about this, you will see why.

What should I do? Pressumably the first steps are to call Mastercare, write letters to MDs, customer services, office of fair trading and then county court? Any suggestions welcome.

Summary of complaint

1. You have provided engineers that are unable to fix our brand of dishwasher by their own admission.

2. This has gone on for an unreasonable amount of time by anyone's standards. The missed hours at work and frustration and still no clear diagnosis of the problem means this has gone beyond a simple refund of our initial costs.

3. Engineers are rude, have lied about the parts they have ordered and are always late and have twice failed to come at all. I am sure you appreciate how hard it is for us to take this time of work.

4. We were mislead by Mastercare on the phone which added to further delays to the process.

5. The engineers have not only damaged our carpets but potentially further damaged our dishwasher by their attempts to fix it including using a lot of glue.

6. The engineers have a part of our dishwasher and they still do not know what is wrong with it. There is no end in sight for us and further more the manager has said he is 'fed up with this job' and will see if anyone is' willing to take it on.'

The Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 states that a service must be done to a reasonable standard, and must be done at a reasonable cost and within a reasonable time if price and timing haven't been made explicit. It also states that if you damage your property while doing a job you also have to repair this as well. It also states that 'may be able to claim compensation

if you had to take a day off work, for example.However, this would depend on whether you told the trader this when you made the appointment.'

23rd October

Smeg Dishwasher gives us a message Error 9. We take out a Repair and Protect Plan with Mastercare.

First Visit - 27th October

2 engineers arrive 4 hours late, one of which is called Alan and diagnose a leak, say a new part will take 7-10 days.

9 weeks later we are still waiting for the part. The office will not tell us the name of the part (we offered to source and pay for it independently) and refuse to chase their suppliers.

They are rude on the phone and hardly ever answer it.

We call Mastercare to complain and are informed that as 6 weeks have elapsed we can get vouchers for a new dishwasher. We are quite surprised by this but agree to ask the engineer to file a report saying the machine is unfixable.

6th December

Over the following week I call Mastercare 4 times to chase up on process, each time I am told I will get a new dishwasher. I follow up again on 6th December and am told that they have the engineers report and they will send over the vouchers in the next week. We then go to Curries and get a new product.

I follow up again for the 5th time on 11th December I am informed by Sue in pod H that because our policy is Repair and Protect we will get our money back but that is all. When I asked why I have been misinformed on so many occasions she replies that most of the individuals have just joined and are still in training. She speaks to the supervisor and alerts them to the problem.

She offers a refund. I reply I don't really want one I want my dishwasher fixed! The engineers now say that as I have asked for it to be written off it is no longer their problem. We try reasoning with them that the only reason we asked for it be to written off was because we were misinformed.

Sue from pod H offers to call the engineer to reinstate the job. This takes approximately 2 further weeks.

Second visit

Tony (manager) offers to come and look at the dishwasher himself as he not convinced that Alan has diagnosed the problem correctly. He arrives and they agree it is in fact 3 rubber rings that need replacing not the sump and will get it from Smeg directly. Tony admits that Alan had not been able to see what was wrong with it, had not been able to point out the part that needed ordering on a diagram at work and therefore the entire base had been ordered from Smeg as they did not know which part was faulty.

We could have saved ourselves 2 months of anguish had an appropriate engineer been sent who could diagnose and identify which parts needed fixing. We are told this part will take 7-10 days to order.

3rd January

I receive a phone call from the engineer to say that he is 20 minutes away. I have not been informed of his visit and am therefore at work. I let him know I will not be able to get there in time as I work 1 hour away and was not informed of his visit. There is no one answering the phone at the office.

Scheduled visit on 12th January

James (my partner) calls the office and is told at 3pm that the engineers are one hour away. He leaves the office for home. At 7pm no one has arrived and no one is answering the phone in the office. I have the engineers mobile number from last weeks attempt. I call. He informs he is still on another job and will not be coming. He says the office should not have said he was an hour away. I explain how hard it is for us to leave work early and says he will come tomorrow (Saturday 13th January) between 10 and 11am.

13th January

No engineer arrives, he does not phone nor answer our calls.

Latest Visit: 17th January

Tony arrives at 630pm, we appreciate him coming after hours. He apologises for the previous engineers and we are told that Alan was 'blind as a bat', does not understand Smeg dishwashers, nor do any of his colleagues who are used to working with Hotpoint and was probably in a bad mood because he does not like working outside of his patch which is Croydon.

He also said that Smeg was a contract ' he could do without' as mastercare should not really cover it as they cannot supply the right parts.

Installing the new rings does not solve the problem and the dishwasher is still leaking. On further investigation it becomes apparent that the problem might be a screw which has also become loose. He tries to fit another one but it is the wrong size. He covers the bottom of the dishwasher in glue but this does not help either. It becomes clear he really does not know what is wrong with it and says it could be leaking from anywhere. He will need to take away the base of dishwasher to investigate 'with Fairy liquid' and he also needs to re-solder the wires which have become loose in the 'fixing process.' He also says' had it been me I would not have ordered the rubber rings'. We remind him that he was here with the engineer and they both agreed that was the part that needed ordering. If he did not believe that this would solve the problem why waste another 3 weeks waiting for that part!!

He puts the dishwasher back, I ask if it is ok to leave the pipe open like that and won't it leak - he stuffs some loo roll up the pipe.

All of this does not fill me with confidence that this problem will ever be fixed or indeed diagnosed. He now has the base of our dishwasher as well.

Given that he has told me that the other engineers cannot fix Smegs I ask if when the part comes he will come and fit it (assuming this is now the right part). His response was shocking saying 'I have had just about enough of this job and I will see if someone else was willing to take the job on.' He then would not answer any questions and literally stormed out of house.

In the meantime our carpets have been ruined. When Tony arrived I took out a large supply of towels to mop up the water that would come out of the dishwasher. I explained that our carpet stains with water (Sisal). He said they were not necessary. I turned my back for 5 minutes to return to find the carpet drenched and subsequently stained. I tried drying it and using a hairdryer but it is ruined. This was totally avoidable. (Photos available)

I hope you will agree that the level of service we have received has been completely unacceptable and we can see no light at the end of the tunnel.

We cannot take any more time off work for this, we have confidence in the engineers you have provided and cannot see how this problem will be resolved.

This has gone beyond simply refunding us the £120 for Repair and Protect and is a matter for compensation which we will pursue for through the Office of Fair Trading and the legal services if we cannot agree.

January 18th

Repeated calls to engineer who has not returned our calls and still has part of our dishwasher

Hi Rosiecotton,

Yes we bought it in August 2004 and we paid for it on a visa debit card (Intelligent Finance), bought in Curries along with other appliances and kitchen units.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Thanks. The latest update...my partner finaly managed to get through Tony who has said he now declining the job to Mastercare as he can't fix it and it is 'annoying me and its annoying you'. Charming. He still has a part of a dishwasher and I now believe he has damaged it beyond repair. I want to scream!!

Check the terms and conditions of your Mastercare policy to see whether there are provisions made if the repair cannot be done within a reasonable time, to see what you may be able to claim from them. This will find out whether they actually do allow vouchers for a replacement or just a refund of the policy. Would be interesting to see what the policy actually says, regardless of what they said on the phone.

Now, back to the problem - I believe you need to write two letters.

Write one letter to Currys where you bought the product. Explain everything that has happened, as you have here. Tell them that this is an unacceptable situation and you are now looking to them to resolve the matter as your contract for the goods is with them. Inform them that their Mastercare engineers have so far been unable to repair the product and that if you do not manage to get the machine repaired to a satisfactory standard you will be looking at compensation towards the cost of a replacement dishwasher. Inform them that they have a liability under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 which states that all goods must be of satisfactory quality and fit for all normal purposes, and that your rights under this Act can last for up to six years. State that you would not expect a dishwasher of this value to go wrong by this time, and therefore you are entitled to a satisfactory repair or replacement by [give them a date] or alternatively if this is not possible you will ask them to collect the dishwasher and provide you with a partial refund of what you paid for it.

As you've had Mastercare fiddling with it, this might have had an effect on your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act - but I think you will get away with it because they are all part of the same company and Currys are the ones who sell Mastercare policies.

I think you also need to write to Mastercare because the service you have had has been appalling. Detail everything in the letter that you have put in this thread. Normally what you could expect them to do is dependent on the terms and conditions within their policy - however I do think that in this case, you should push for the vouchers to get a new dishwasher. State that you came to an agreement with staff at Mastercare that they would provide you with vouchers, and therefore this would form a condition of your contract with Mastercare. Give them a date by which to supply the vouchers or say you will be taking further action.

Finally I would copy both letters to DSG International PLC who own both Currys and Mastercare. Their registered office is Maylands Avenue, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 7TG.

• Confused 1

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Thanks Rosiecotton,

I will do so right away. Will keep you posted and thanks again for such a detailed reply. It is amazing these people are still in business. Do you think it is also worth writing directly to the engineers they have outsourced to - Appliance Repairs ot just complaining about them to Mastercare? They are beyond a joke!

This is the latest, I will draft a letter later on today. Any further advice gratefully received. Last question is - we now just want to get a new dishwasher and through out the old one - do we need to hang onto it if this goes to court to be examined? Bear in mind that Tony still has half of it!!

Tuesday 16th Jan - advised by engineer that he declared the dishwasher unrepairable and had report to Repair and Protect

- Repair & Protect advised they had received the report and would send it to Master Care that evening

- Master Care advised me that on receipt of the report we would receive vouchers for a new dishwasher. Since we had been misinformed about this previously I asked Collett (employee ID 22322) to check this. She spoke to her team leader Hayley Waring and confirmed that this was the case.

Wednesday 17th Jan - Repair & Protect advised me they had sent the report. Master Care advised me they had not received it.

Thursday 18th Jan - Repair & Protect advised me they had sent the report. Master Care advised me they had not received it. Master Care also told me it was not their job to chase these things up because they were 'too busy'.

Friday 18th Jan - Repair & Protect advised me they had sent the report. Master Care advised me they had not received it.

Monday 22nd Jan - Collett (employee ID 22322) advised me that we would not receive vouchers after all but only a refund on our initial premium. To receive this Master Care needed the engineers report from Repair & Protect.

- I spoke the Repair & Protect (Shaf in Quad 7) who advised me that Repair & Protect don't automatically send the engineers report and it hadn't been sent to Master Care after all. He said it was in fact, Master Care's responsibility the call and ask for the report.

- I spoke to Collett again who called Repair & Protect while I was on hold. Shaf changed his mind and said that Repair & Protect should send the report. He promised to email it to Collett first thing the next day. Collett said she would call me when she had the report.

Tuesday 23rd Jan - still waiting the hear from Collett.....

Remember that if it were to go to court, Mastercare can bind you to the terms and conditions that they lay out in their policy (although you could argue that you were promised vouchers, proving this might be tricky unless they record their calls).

I would get in touch with Currys as soon as possible as this is where you bought the dishwasher and that's who your contract for the item, and thus your statutory rights, is with.

Let me know what sort of response you get to the suggested letters and go from there.

Good luck.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 1 month later...

Well I just wanted to update you on this situation. After I sent the letters ccing Smeg head office in Italy (wanted to alert them to the situation their customers in the UK were facing through currys) I received a letter 2 days later from HD of customer services. Basic gist is that they are really shocked at my treatment, they are following up with everyone mentioned and noted that the company outsourced to to do the repairs are not approved by SMEG. Amazingly Smeg have offered to give me a new dishwasher as a gesture of goodwill and to reassure me that the failing is not with the brand. I am very pleasantly suprised by their reaction as none of this is really their fault (well apart from dishwasher going wrong in th first place). No word from currys or DSG as yet.

The most satisfying outcome however is that they are going to look into their contract with currys and indeed how breakdowns and repairs are covered by them.

I really hope Currys loses their Smeg contract!!

Hello

I am new to this site but are rather interested in your plight as I have had an Ariston Washing machine from currys and it has broken down now 7 times in 4 years, the first being at 10 months old, I am getting very pissed off now and nobody seems to be bothered, i think I should have had a replacement years ago, as so much time is wasted waiting for the engineers and having no washer, which aint great as i am a mother.

What a nightmare, I am not an expert I am afraid but I know Currys are simply awful and I will NEVER buy anything from them again.

I think you have a strong argument that the washing machine is not 'fit for purpose' and you actually have protection and rights under the Sale of Goods Act for 6 years. Have you tried writing a letter to the top?

I cced the CEO, Chairman and every non-exec board member of DSG as well as WATCHDOG and Smeg. Maybe you can do the same?

BLACKSHEEP1979 - I know I could technically push for this but I am completely at the end of my tether and cannot face taking more time off work etc to get it fixed!!

• 1 year later...
Hello all,

Firstly let me intorduce myself as this is my first post. I am 26, live in London and wish I had seen this and the numerous other forums about mastercare and how awful they are before I bought all my applicances at Currys!!

Just wondering if you can help me, I have summarised (no honestly) all of the problems I have been having and just wanted to see if you had any suggestions as to how to take this forward. Am a bit of an emotional wreck about this, you will see why.

What should I do? Pressumably the first steps are to call Mastercare, write letters to MDs, customer services, office of fair trading and then county court? Any suggestions welcome.

Summary of complaint

1. You have provided engineers that are unable to fix our brand of dishwasher by their own admission.

2. This has gone on for an unreasonable amount of time by anyone's standards. The missed hours at work and frustration and still no clear diagnosis of the problem means this has gone beyond a simple refund of our initial costs.

3. Engineers are rude, have lied about the parts they have ordered and are always late and have twice failed to come at all. I am sure you appreciate how hard it is for us to take this time of work.

4. We were mislead by Mastercare on the phone which added to further delays to the process.

5. The engineers have not only damaged our carpets but potentially further damaged our dishwasher by their attempts to fix it including using a lot of glue.

6. The engineers have a part of our dishwasher and they still do not know what is wrong with it. There is no end in sight for us and further more the manager has said he is 'fed up with this job' and will see if anyone is' willing to take it on.'

The Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 states that a service must be done to a reasonable standard, and must be done at a reasonable cost and within a reasonable time if price and timing haven't been made explicit. It also states that if you damage your property while doing a job you also have to repair this as well. It also states that 'may be able to claim compensation

if you had to take a day off work, for example.However, this would depend on whether you told the trader this when you made the appointment.'

23rd October

Smeg Dishwasher gives us a message Error 9. We take out a Repair and Protect Plan with Mastercare.

First Visit - 27th October

2 engineers arrive 4 hours late, one of which is called Alan and diagnose a leak, say a new part will take 7-10 days.

9 weeks later we are still waiting for the part. The office will not tell us the name of the part (we offered to source and pay for it independently) and refuse to chase their suppliers.

They are rude on the phone and hardly ever answer it.

We call Mastercare to complain and are informed that as 6 weeks have elapsed we can get vouchers for a new dishwasher. We are quite surprised by this but agree to ask the engineer to file a report saying the machine is unfixable.

6th December

Over the following week I call Mastercare 4 times to chase up on process, each time I am told I will get a new dishwasher. I follow up again on 6th December and am told that they have the engineers report and they will send over the vouchers in the next week. We then go to Curries and get a new product.

I follow up again for the 5th time on 11th December I am informed by Sue in pod H that because our policy is Repair and Protect we will get our money back but that is all. When I asked why I have been misinformed on so many occasions she replies that most of the individuals have just joined and are still in training. She speaks to the supervisor and alerts them to the problem.

She offers a refund. I reply I don't really want one I want my dishwasher fixed! The engineers now say that as I have asked for it to be written off it is no longer their problem. We try reasoning with them that the only reason we asked for it be to written off was because we were misinformed.

Sue from pod H offers to call the engineer to reinstate the job. This takes approximately 2 further weeks.

Second visit

Tony (manager) offers to come and look at the dishwasher himself as he not convinced that Alan has diagnosed the problem correctly. He arrives and they agree it is in fact 3 rubber rings that need replacing not the sump and will get it from Smeg directly. Tony admits that Alan had not been able to see what was wrong with it, had not been able to point out the part that needed ordering on a diagram at work and therefore the entire base had been ordered from Smeg as they did not know which part was faulty.

We could have saved ourselves 2 months of anguish had an appropriate engineer been sent who could diagnose and identify which parts needed fixing. We are told this part will take 7-10 days to order.

3rd January

I receive a phone call from the engineer to say that he is 20 minutes away. I have not been informed of his visit and am therefore at work. I let him know I will not be able to get there in time as I work 1 hour away and was not informed of his visit. There is no one answering the phone at the office.

Scheduled visit on 12th January

James (my partner) calls the office and is told at 3pm that the engineers are one hour away. He leaves the office for home. At 7pm no one has arrived and no one is answering the phone in the office. I have the engineers mobile number from last weeks attempt. I call. He informs he is still on another job and will not be coming. He says the office should not have said he was an hour away. I explain how hard it is for us to leave work early and says he will come tomorrow (Saturday 13th January) between 10 and 11am.

13th January

No engineer arrives, he does not phone nor answer our calls.

Latest Visit: 17th January

Tony arrives at 630pm, we appreciate him coming after hours. He apologises for the previous engineers and we are told that Alan was 'blind as a bat', does not understand Smeg dishwashers, nor do any of his colleagues who are used to working with Hotpoint and was probably in a bad mood because he does not like working outside of his patch which is Croydon.

He also said that Smeg was a contract ' he could do without' as mastercare should not really cover it as they cannot supply the right parts.

Installing the new rings does not solve the problem and the dishwasher is still leaking. On further investigation it becomes apparent that the problem might be a screw which has also become loose. He tries to fit another one but it is the wrong size. He covers the bottom of the dishwasher in glue but this does not help either. It becomes clear he really does not know what is wrong with it and says it could be leaking from anywhere. He will need to take away the base of dishwasher to investigate 'with Fairy liquid' and he also needs to re-solder the wires which have become loose in the 'fixing process.' He also says' had it been me I would not have ordered the rubber rings'. We remind him that he was here with the engineer and they both agreed that was the part that needed ordering. If he did not believe that this would solve the problem why waste another 3 weeks waiting for that part!!

He puts the dishwasher back, I ask if it is ok to leave the pipe open like that and won't it leak - he stuffs some loo roll up the pipe.

All of this does not fill me with confidence that this problem will ever be fixed or indeed diagnosed. He now has the base of our dishwasher as well.

Given that he has told me that the other engineers cannot fix Smegs I ask if when the part comes he will come and fit it (assuming this is now the right part). His response was shocking saying 'I have had just about enough of this job and I will see if someone else was willing to take the job on.' He then would not answer any questions and literally stormed out of house.

In the meantime our carpets have been ruined. When Tony arrived I took out a large supply of towels to mop up the water that would come out of the dishwasher. I explained that our carpet stains with water (Sisal). He said they were not necessary. I turned my back for 5 minutes to return to find the carpet drenched and subsequently stained. I tried drying it and using a hairdryer but it is ruined. This was totally avoidable. (Photos available)

I hope you will agree that the level of service we have received has been completely unacceptable and we can see no light at the end of the tunnel.

We cannot take any more time off work for this, we have confidence in the engineers you have provided and cannot see how this problem will be resolved.

This has gone beyond simply refunding us the £120 for Repair and Protect and is a matter for compensation which we will pursue for through the Office of Fair Trading and the legal services if we cannot agree.

January 18th

Repeated calls to engineer who has not returned our calls and still has part of our dishwasher

Iam having exactly the same problem with the same machine, a smeg dishwasher and sick of there excuses, of waiting for parts. what part of the planet are the parts coming from, county court next as they are in non complience of the (The Supply of Goods and Service Act 1982)

my job (health and safety officer)

I am having exactly the same problem with the same machine, a smeg dishwasher and sick of there excuses, of waiting for parts. what part of the planet are the parts coming from, county court next as they are in non complience of the (The Supply of Goods and Service Act 1982)

my job (health and safety officer)

• 1 month later...

Got my smeg dishwasher sorted. I wrote to mastercare and told them that they were in breach of the 1982 supply and sevices Regulations and I would see them in county court, I was phoned the following day that an engineer would be out the following day. he came out on time and the machine was fixed, the law is there to protect the customer so use it like i did, it was pure frustration waiting for them to do something about this machine and all the excuses they gave (adder) health and safety manager