• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Harrythehawk v Studio Cards

harrythehawk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just started the process with these people, at the moment I am going after my bank, however I saw that Studio don't always appear to put up a fight and that I might aswell tackle them now rather than leave it until later (I can fight them if they want but just selecting the easy targets first !!). My wife owes a DCA around £800 from a debt going back years which I found out about end of November !! (lucky me!), I then found some of the statements unopened in a bag at the back of her wardrobe (amongst many other things) and as I have got more into the site I have become aware of charges and every month at least for the last year she has had service and administration charges of £40-50 applied to this account and hasn't bought anything from them. Asked the DCA to confirm what she has paid them and that I am going to dispute the actual debt with Studio which a SAR has gone off to them today and keep the DCA informed. This should prove to be very interesting and if it has gone on for as long as I think this could be a substantial amount of cash.

Will keep you posted.

BTW, anybody know if Redoute, Kays, Choice and Littlewoods are ones to go for in the same way ??

Got the statements today !! No CCA, however it makes pretty ugly reading since 2002:

Service Charges: £785.69

Admin Charges: £325.00

PPI: £457.45

Value of Goods Actually Bought: £1,142.30 (Nothing has been purchased in over 2 years !!)

Total paid so far: £1,919.61

Outstanding: £773.11 (this isn't what adds up on the statement and the DCA have asked me for £790 immediately hmmm)

Well, I am happy enough to go for them on the Service & Admin which will leave them owing me money and my concience is clear that we have paid for the goods. What I am wondering is the PPI, I haven't got and probably never will get the CCA or agreement for PPI cover, and more importantly this seems to be calculated on the balance every month and has increased in premium as this has gone up, obviously this PPI pemium has been based on the charges too and certainly for the last two years no purchases have been made.

I would love to do them for the lot however is this a separate claim after I deal with the charges or shall I lump it in on the basis of no signed agreement to PPI and how the premium has been levied and calculated ???

Any advice here would be excellent and very much appreciated, I am chomping at the bit to get after 'em after all the threats of court action from Legal & Trade it appears they now owe me quite alot of money and it feels real good !!

Cheers

Harry

BTW, anybody know if Redoute, Kays, Choice and Littlewoods are ones to go for in the same way ??

If you have charges on them then yes - you can do the same ... I'm currently 'battling' with Littlewoods ... have a court date for march ...t hey're not shifting at the mo!

Got the statements today !! No CCA, however it makes pretty ugly reading since 2002:

Service Charges: £785.69

Admin Charges: £325.00

PPI: £457.45

Value of Goods Actually Bought: £1,142.30 (Nothing has been purchased in over 2 years !!)

Total paid so far: £1,919.61

Outstanding: £773.11 (this isn't what adds up on the statement and the DCA have asked me for £790 immediately hmmm)

Well, I am happy enough to go for them on the Service & Admin which will leave them owing me money and my concience is clear that we have paid for the goods. What I am wondering is the PPI, I haven't got and probably never will get the CCA or agreement for PPI cover, and more importantly this seems to be calculated on the balance every month and has increased in premium as this has gone up, obviously this PPI pemium has been based on the charges too and certainly for the last two years no purchases have been made.

I would love to do them for the lot however is this a separate claim after I deal with the charges or shall I lump it in on the basis of no signed agreement to PPI and how the premium has been levied and calculated ???

Any advice here would be excellent and very much appreciated, I am chomping at the bit to get after 'em after all the threats of court action from Legal & Trade it appears they now owe me quite alot of money and it feels real good !!

Cheers

Harry

Right You need to do the claim as a whole ... re the PPI you can claim all this back too if it's not something you ever agreed to ... Infact even if you did then I would doubt you actually signed an agreement which makes the whole thing unenforcable anyway.

You are on the right track with your thinking here.

The CCA request ... you give them 12 working days first - if you get no reply then they are in default. What to do next is send a gentle reminder letter (there may be one in the templates library) Then you wait a further 30 days ... if you still get no response then they are in breach & this is when the contract is unenforceable by law.

I've subscribed to your thread now & will will try & help where I can .. good luck :)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

Hiya Harry ! Found you at last -having a quick look in before work!

Re: The PPI have you looked on the separate forum for it? May have some interesting pointers. As I understand it, this can be cancelled - you are not obliged to have it but I have don't beleive you can claim money back on it retrospectively unless you can prove you were knowingly misled and this can take some doing.

Re:IMHO I don't think you'll get far trying to reclaim the service charges as these appear to be within limits with Studio and thus deemed fair (I can only go my own situation here of course as I don't know what you were charged exactly). The service charge is made up of interest (you may a bit less if you pay by direct debit) and a pro-rata charge upon purchases.

Re: Admin charges - These at (in my case) £20 a time are the ones to go for as these are unfair and the law is on your side here.

Regards,

SG x

:rolleyes:

Thanks SG, will sit back for now and let them default on the CCA request and then commit a criminal act before I strike, I see what you mean about the "service charge" possibly being interest however for at least two years interest has been paid on interest and charges and PPI which has got to the level of obscene in my book, they have had nearly two grand out of my missus for not much more than a grands worth of stuff and still they want more !! Got another month or so to have a ponder on this by which time I will be more confident of going for the jugular as there is less chance of them going to court and revealing their criminal activities.

Harry

Re:IMHO I don't think you'll get far trying to reclaim the service charges as these appear to be within limits with Studio and thus deemed fair (I can only go my own situation here of course as I don't know what you were charged exactly). The service charge is made up of interest (you may a bit less if you pay by direct debit) and a pro-rata charge upon purchases.

Well as I say ... I claimed back ALL my admin charges plus the service charges (interest) on them ... I had no problem at all getting a full refund on this PLUS 8% interest over two years!

You can only claim the portion of interest/service charges that you paid on the admin charges tho ... praps that's where you are getting confused?

HTH? :-)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

Yes that's right chetz - I should of made it clearer. I was under the impression that Harry was going to try and reclaim it in full and that may of caused problems.

Everyone is different I know, but I just made a list detailing all the charges etc and sent it with a letter requesting repayment to which they paid back within a week, you do it your own way of course Harry, but you could try this yourself. Yes, you could wait for them to default but I believe that an opportunity should be given for them to repay first as it would look for better on a case you were to bring against them for default were they not to pay up..

SG X

Yes that would make sense, the statement I received hasn't broken down the service charge, do you know how this is calculated or is it a case of writing to them again and asking for this to be broken down or sending it all in and asking them to recalculate, I do want them to do a similar thing on the PPI as this has also been calculated on interest and charges ?

Regs, Harry

_A couple of things : As I have never taken out a PPI (just a personal viewpoint, but I think they are a money making rip off) I can only advise you IMHO . I still don't believe that you will not be able to claim back on this retrospectively (but again I have advised you to look for separate threads regarding this) because you should of cancelled it before and had the option to do so when you saw it on your first statement, by continuing to keep it you were effectively giving the okay. There will undoubtedly be something in the small print saying that if you don't want it then to let them know; it may not be right to do it in this way but they can argue that it was clearly in the small print. If you are able to prove that it was mis -sold to you then you open up a whole new ball game. This is an area to be covered in itself and once again I urge you to check out the PPI threads as we could be here for weeks dicussing this when it has already been dealt with and will be far more useful to you elsewhere on the forum.

If you only have one statement giving the total amount of admin etc it will be difficult to work out the exact amount of interest due because,to simplify, it acrues from the date the charge was made. I thought you had individual statements - would you clarify.

The interest rates and how they are worked out are on the back of original statements (in my case)

By the way, don't worry if I don't get back to you immediately, as life gets in the way, but I will come back as quickly as I can to try and help :D

SG x

Thanks again SG, I am no hurry at the moment, just getting things together. What I received was a list of transactions in date order, I do have some statements at home which I will check through and from there it should hopefully tell me the interest and also how PPI is charged, again if this is linked to the balance it is wrongly calculated, I'm not too bad with maths and a calculator so I think I can have a good stab at it, still no sign of any CCA and also I need my stuff from the DCA to ensure I have included every single penny.

TTFN

Harry

Hmmm interesting. The account doesn't include PPI anymore since it went to the DCA in 2005, no other activity has occurred at all other than the DCA demanding money. Well the PPI it hasn't been mis-sold on the other thread basis and the account was started by Mrs Hawk in 2002 and she has no idea what she signed or agreed and I haven't got a copy yet, I only discovered this and the mess it was in (amongst many things) at the end of November. One way or another it ain't been calculated right and I think a preliminary letter for everything as far as I can calculate it in three parts will be the way to go, from what I have read on here you tend to get a response from Studio saying yes we agree this but don't agree that. One will be the admin charges, no problem, second the service charge and interest on said unfair admin charges and subsequent PPI premium, third will be the PPI incorrect premium as a result of unfair charges and interest on them right back to 2002 !! I will ask them to clarify how they have calculated these and again ask for copies of the agreement, Policy and Terms & Conditions (I think I am entitled to them !!). If I can't possibly do this then I am right to ask for a full breakdown under the original S.A.R and CCA I have already submitted before drafting a Preliminary letter ?

OMG this is getting a bit complicated !! :eek:

Harry

SG I thought that might be the case! :)

Harry - you don't need a calculator .... have you thought about using the spreadsheets in the Vampiress chambers?? They do all the calculating for you - all you have to do is input the charges detail & interest etc and it calculates the interest on charges

here is the link - you have to join if you're not already a member but it's free & easy so no worries there

VAMPIRESS'S CHAMBER OF "CONSUMER ACTI...

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

Thanks Chezt !! I will check it out when I know all the facts and figures, there are alot of complicated issues and the PPI doesn't help as that is linked into the charges and interest. I have sent a letter asking for more details from them and break downs of what is interest and what is not, the correct documentation as far as the signed CCA and original PPI goes. When I have a response for this I will be clearer what I am going for in my preliminary letter, they still have time on the SAR to do this, if it hasn't arrived by the 40 day deadline I will put in what I think if they can't explain or provide the right info. Just to complicate it even more their figures are different to the DCA which I also need verifying before I go wading in, have sent them a SAR and CCA last week for good measure. I also summarised the situation outlining how the charges look in relation to the goods sold and what has already been paid so you never know this might be enough although I haven't asked them to do anything yet other than send me the info/docs, then I will respond but did make it clear I disputed the allegded debt and until everything was in order and agreed I would hold payments in my own account. It is a sort of SAR / preliminary-preliminary but the ball is in their court, if they come up with the goods I will know where I am otherwise after 40 days preliminary will formally go in for the lot.

I would write to the DCA (short but sweet) stating that you do not intend to discuss the account with them as it is now in dispute & suggest they contact their client for further details (I'm sure there is a letter in the temps library for this) The differing amounts is probably charges for referring the account to them I woulda thought?

As for the PPI have you actually signed up for this ... if not then I would just go ahead & claim it back as if you didn't sign for it then it's unenforceable anyway!

Presumably the SAR request you made was for copy statements that you are missing? So have you sent the CCA request for a copy of your contract also?

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

I have indeed sent the CCA, it is already in default. Like I say I am hoping the penny drops with this latest letter that I know what I am doing and it will be solved when they realise how far I could push this although I haven't said what I will do or what I want, there again they could ignore it but won't when the real action will start after the SAR expires, it is my wifes account ( I didn't know it existed) and she can't remember signing anything and I doubt she did, it is up to them really now to come up with the information or a solution, I have done all I can for now so let's wait until the clock stops ticking. As for the DCA, have not had a peep out of them, strange their number hasn't appeared on my call log for a week or so now since I have told them they ain't getting anything else but I do need to see what they do have or had from her as their figures are different to Studio and also just to show them who is in control now, strange the last thing they did tell me Studio would simply pass all the correspondence to them !!

Will keep y'arl posted and thanks again to you and SG for your support and advice, this is my first real action on fighting the debt mountain (many more battles ahead) and the site and people on here have really helped.

Harry

As for the DCA, have not had a peep out of them, strange their number hasn't appeared on my call log for a week or so now since I have told them they ain't getting anything else

Yep, real strange, that is. :p :p

You keep at it, Harry. I'm another who's with you all the way. I've started my own thread for my claim for my wife's Studio, so I'll be watching yours with interest.

OB

Please read the Stickies and FAQs. Your question may have been answered already.

Old Bear vs. NatWest - won after first letter £600

Mrs Bear vs. Studio - won after first letter £360

Old Bear vs. Abbey - won after first letter - only £50, but it's the principle

Old Bear vs. Black Horse - £117 of charges wiped off 2 loans, but more WILL follow

Mrs Bear vs. Index (Littlewoods) - SAR sent - 2/2/2007

Letter from manager of Studio debt recovery dept 29/1, "re your recent letter (CCA request) this account has been passed to an external collection agency".

They don't have a CCA do they !!

Expect different response to my letter today ..... I predict it the "debt" will suddenly re-appear in their offices !!

Will drop acknowledgement and ask for clarification on who OWNS the "debt" ........ keep on digging Studio, Harry is coming to get ya !!

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates, H?

Please read the Stickies and FAQs. Your question may have been answered already.

Old Bear vs. Black Horse - £117 of charges wiped off 2 loans, but more WILL follow

Well, letter received from Studio .... £325 admin charges and anothe £50 odd quid in interest refunded as GOGW, has halved the amount. They are still looking into the PPI and have referred back to their Finance Dept. Enclosed a new CCA, unopened, unsigned (yippee!!). Have responded to accpet GOGW as partial payment pending investigaton into the calculation of the PPI and if it was ever requested, pointed out CCA was not executed copy and asked for clarification of service charges which they didn't !! Good result ...... so far, obviously not paying them anything yet as still in dispute which I made clear too !! As for poor old Legal and Trade, sent me another demand for the full amount and have taken my £10 SAR and deducted it from the total, no other letters or phone calls (amazing eh ??). Have written to ask them not to deduct the £10 from the "debt I do not acknowledge to them" and use it for the fee under the Data Protection Act and send me the details I requested .... warning shot across the bows ..... also suggested they should really speak to Studio, it is getting very embarrassing.

Today I feel like I am winning (at last), only a matter of time now !!

Keep fightin' em !!

Today I feel like I am winning (at last), only a matter of time now !!

Keep fightin' em !!

Good partial result, Harry; I'm well happy for you, mate. I sincerely hope you get the rest sorted, too.

My Prelim has gone off, asking for clearance of the debt, and the difference between the debt and charges due as a cheque.

Keep us updated.

OB :)

Hi Harry,

Well done on your partial victory...hang on in there I'm sure the rest will follow. They also applied my £10 SAR cheque as a "payment" which reduced my balance by a further £10 & as they sent me statements promptly I didn't query it with them (not my fault if they don't know what they're doing!!;) )

I've been racking my brains re the PPI when I opened my account....all that I can remember is that after a couple of months of it appearing on my statement I rang the helpline & told them I didn't want it & they stopped it straightaway. I'm pretty sure the lady told me it was being charged as I hadn't "opted out of it". Probably not much help to you other than in my opinion it must've been misleading or at least not very clear as I NEVER choose PPI for anything as it's such a waste of money. Good luck.

OldBear : Hang on in there you WILL get it back. Watch out though as they cleared my account (£193) but sent me £150 vouchers for remainder of claim.:mad: I swiftly returned the vouchers as I'd also requested a cheque for the difference. It's taken a further 3-4 weeks but I've now received a cheque to replace the vouchers.:D Good luck.

Villafan

Villafan - keep an eye on your account tho mate - that's what heppened to me with the vouchers etc & they first credited my account which was a zero balance & took it into credit. After they sent the cq, eventually they debited my account leaving a balance due!! Since then it's incurred charges & interest! Not bad for a zero balance eh!

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...