• Tweets

• Hi Baldilocks. Welcome to CAG. I've done some minor formatting edits to your post to make it easier to read for people on mobile. Try to keep to 1 or 2 sentences max before creating a line break in your post. It's the Consumer Rights Act 2015, not the Sale of Goods Act 2015. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 superseded The Sale Of Goods Act 1979 and the latter does not apply as I imagine this purchase was made after 1st October 2015. Can you confirm the make, model and age of of vehicle? Some vehicles have their service history stored within the on board computers now or have it available to view online at any point. How did you pay for the vehicle? Finance (what type), Debit/Credit Card etc? I would argue, that should the above points not be correct, you would be right to claim that the goods are not as described under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  
    • Thanks everyone for all your help, but unfortunately my case was dismissed. This is the 2nd time I've had this happen now so I doubt ill be taking on any parking firms in future sadly. The judge said I lost it on the grounds that the sign said I had 28 days to declare who the owner of the vehicle was, and said I should have complied with this.  My costs are Judgment for the claimant £133.33 Issue fee Hearing fee Solicitors costs - total £265 grand total £398.33 Do those costs look about right?
    • In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope somebody can help us. We have unpaid council tax with liability order. This was then passed to Equita. We have been receiving threatening letters re. a bailiff calling and today received the below....

We are to attend your property shortly to remove goods in connection to your unpaid council tax debt due to ................................

We are in your area throughout the coming week and will enfource the liability order without any further notice which includes goods (including motor vehicles) which may be removed if you are not in attendance.

To avoid this action you must contact us immediately and make immediate arrangements to pay this debt now.

I've called them again today, like I have the last few times and they will refuse to make a payment plan. They said they can not stop the bailiffs from calling but any payments I make will look better on the file when the bailiff does call?

I take from reading other posts that if I don't let them in that they have no right to enter my home??? even with a liability order is this correct? Also if I don't park my car on my drive but away from my house what can they do about finding out if a car is mine and removing it? If we don't have a car we can't get to work and can't earn the money to pay the debts.

Any help I would be grateful for.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

• 9 months later...

I am in serious need of help and/or advice. I have received several letters from Equita threatening removal of goods. They have now sent me a recommendation of condemnation to imprisonment.:x I URGENGLY need advice. I am in the process of going through an IVA who have advised me not to pay anything as it could counteract any IVAs. Please, Please Please help

Jules, I recommend you start your own thread as you may get more help that way.

Is this a council tax debt because this would have to be classed a priority debt so you need to speak to whoever is doing your IVA about it but a couple of rules of thumb when dealing with bailiffs is NEVER to phone them and DO NOT let them into the house. Make sure all your windows are closed and locked too so they can't let themselves in.

Someone should be along soon to give you more advice about your specific situation but my understanding is that you cannot not pay council tax because they will take you to court.

If you are classed as vulnerable - on benefits, disabled, pregnant, etc. then there are very strict rules as to what they can do too but like I said, someone with more knowledge than me should be able to help.

I am in serious need of help and/or advice. I have received several letters from Equita threatening removal of goods. They have now sent me a recommendation of condemnation to imprisonment.:x I URGENGLY need advice. I am in the process of going through an IVA who have advised me not to pay anything as it could counteract any IVAs. Please, Please Please help

what debt type is it?

council tax?

if it is then cancel the iva as it is probably the single most piece of ridiculous debt advice i've ever come across. please start your own thread, it seems you need decent assistance.

Thanks for that sequencie but what do i do, i have spoken to equita who have said that the bayliffs could be round at any time, spoken to the iva people who have said that if they do turn up I should make a token payment, and they said they will speak to them again for me and phone me back. I am absolutely terrified and really do not know what to do. Need some helpful advice.

Is it a council tax debt?

The bailiffs are unlikely to accept a token payment so your best bet is to ignore them when they come round for now. The IVA people sound like they don't have a clue what they are talking about so you are in the right place here - lots of experienced people on CAG who can help both with the bailiff problem and the debt problem generally so please don't panic. We do need information though if we're to help you!

The important first question to answer is whether you could be classed as a vulnerable person because if you are, you can get the bailiffs to back off straight away by informing the council that you are.

The next question is are you on benefits? If so, and it's a council tax debt, there is a specific maximum amount they can take (a few pounds a week i believe) to repay council tax arrears. Remember, nobody cannot force you to pay more than you can afford.

What I believe you should do is deal with this bailiff/council tax issue first - and we can help you! and then deal with the underlying debt problem. I'm not convinced from what you've told us so far that an IVA is necessarily in your best interest - you may be better off with a DMP or just managing it yourself and there are loads of people here who can help you but the first step is probably to CCA all of your creditors to ensure they have the right to collect the debt (you'd be amazed how many don't!).

In the meantime, DO NOT PHONE THE BAILIFF OR SPEAK TO THEM IF THEY PHONE. DO NOT ANSWER THE DOOR TO THEM. DO NOT LET THEM IN! If you have a car parked outside your house, park it a way away from there so they won't have the opportunity to try to levy on it. Remember, if you follow the advice above, the absolute most the bailiff will legally be allowed to charge is £24.50 for a 1st visit and £18 for a second so don't believe their BS. If/when they post something through your door, let us know what it says and we can advise further.

First things first though, we need you to let us know the answers to some of our questions!

Have a read through the bailiff forum and you'll find a ton more information about your situation too!

• 10 months later...

i am new to this forum, but i would ask anyone who has got any issues with the baliffs ,is to go onto the "what rights do baliffs have" web sites and judge for themselves what they can and can't do. a baliff cannot force entry into your home.they can gain access through an open door or window legally. If they bring A POLICE OFFICER WITH THEM, REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY TO KEEP THE PEACE.If you let them gain entry the first time, they are within their rights to gain entry by force th next time, even if you are not on your premises. do not be scared. after all, they are only human beings and not the law.

Hi, just need some advice please, this company have been sending letters to my address to someone, we have been sending them back unopened, this morning I thought whats this all about, i opened it and low and behold they are after unpaid council tax arrears from this person, I've phoned and tried to explain that they can not have access as i have firearms on the premises, the numpty on the other end said that i was threatening him which i found really odd as i had just tried to explain that the person that owes the money does not live here and they will not be allowed in, they have asked for a copy of a gas bill to prove who lives here, I don't feel that we should do this as they could look on the electoral role, and under data protection they could do what they like with the utility bill.

P.S. I've got the managers number if anyone wants it his name is Paul Saunders

If it isn't you on the letters, keep sending them back....but it might be worth contacting Trading Standards and explaining the situation to them...

They will probably give up in the end and they certainly have no right to enter your premises. But if you want to intervene now to stop this flood of annoying correspondence, you could write to them on the following lines.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have continued to send me a flood of letters pertaining to ......,

who does not live at this address. I have already informed you of this fact by phone, yet you have continued to harass me with this mail.

I hereby inform you that I am no longer prepared to tolerate this abuse and that you are therefore instructed to cease this correspondence forthwith.

You are further ordered not to vist my premises or to attempt to contact me in any other way.

Should you continue this unlawful harassment, I shall have no choice but to take legal action against you.

Yours etc

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi i really hope someone can help me i have had several letters from equita mainly formal notices but yesterday i recieved a removal order and a final notification (a warrant of commitment to prison) up until now i hadn't made contact with them but then i made the stupid mistake of phoning them only to be told that they wouldn't arrange a payment plan as i had already had sevral with them (which i haven't) i am a single mum of 2 boys and work the minimum of 16hrs per week not a greart income i am terrified of the bailiffs coming out and removing my goods which there is hardly anything worth taking but most of all i am terrfied that they will send me to prison with no one to look after my boys this whole situation is really starting to take its toll on me could somebody please please please help me!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hiya

first time on here so i hope you can help i have equita baliffs on my back to i missed a payment and was told another baliff was coming round to remove my stuff. i rang them and asked if i could pay by 1st dec and was told it was ok. then i recieved letter saying a baliff was coming round i rang again and was told try to pay by the 28th, i rang on 27th to be told the case had been given to a baliff and they have to take the case.i got through to him that night he told me he hadnt even looked at my case and i would have to wait. given that equita are the most rudes people i wrote a letter of complaint and receved 1 back the next day saying i did indeed have till monday 1st to pay in full which i have done only to be told i have charges of £160. the baliff didnt have the case for 24hrs and hadnt even come to my door i told them to go swivel for it im not paying the charges but i have now paid my debt in full.

am i right

Edited by angiepitt

• 1 month later...
I hope somebody can help us. We have unpaid council tax with liability order. This was then passed to Equita. We have been receiving threatening letters re. a bailiff calling and today received the below....

We are to attend your property shortly to remove goods in connection to your unpaid council tax debt due to ................................

We are in your area throughout the coming week and will enfource the liability order without any further notice which includes goods (including motor vehicles) which may be removed if you are not in attendance.

To avoid this action you must contact us immediately and make immediate arrangements to pay this debt now.

I've called them again today, like I have the last few times and they will refuse to make a payment plan. They said they can not stop the bailiffs from calling but any payments I make will look better on the file when the bailiff does call?

I take from reading other posts that if I don't let them in that they have no right to enter my home??? even with a liability order is this correct? Also if I don't park my car on my drive but away from my house what can they do about finding out if a car is mine and removing it? If we don't have a car we can't get to work and can't earn the money to pay the debts.

Any help I would be grateful for.

As no one as actually responded to the opener (quoted above) - I will. I had exactly the same as the opener (the council 'lost' my application for CT Benefit - which I got later - still working on backdating!). All I did was phoned Equita, got through to the guy dealing with my case, and made an arrangement to pay (£40/month on a - at the time - £2,300 debt [band F] - now reduced due to CT Benefits). I pay each month online at their web site and no further problems at all. I know people are all for saying don't contact or speak to the baliffs etc, and I agree with the "don't let them in - ever - or leave doors/windows open" stuff, but not communicating does little but make things worse (and the debt bigger - with each letter/visit). If your council is anything like mine, they do not want to know once its handed to the baliffs, so not talking is burying your head in the sand - nothing is going to resolve itself!

the £40 a month was my initial offer (actually I said a tenner a week and the guy said call it £40 a month its easier than variable amounts based on month length) - I have been payng this method for 4 months now (and even been a few days late a couple of times) and not had one letter or call from them since.

I'm sure my opinion will be flamed down, but its worked for me and hopefully you - just make sure to offer no more than you can achieve.

PS: Equita seem to ignore letters, so phone call seems to work best.

Good luck.

hi i really hope someone can help me i have had several letters from equita mainly formal notices but yesterday i recieved a removal order and a final notification (a warrant of commitment to prison) up until now i hadn't made contact with them but then i made the stupid mistake of phoning them only to be told that they wouldn't arrange a payment plan as i had already had sevral with them (which i haven't) i am a single mum of 2 boys and work the minimum of 16hrs per week not a greart income i am terrified of the bailiffs coming out and removing my goods which there is hardly anything worth taking but most of all i am terrfied that they will send me to prison with no one to look after my boys this whole situation is really starting to take its toll on me could somebody please please please help me!!!!

If they say they will not make an arrangement with you, then get the CAB to call them (they will make a record of it for you too). The law is pretty hard on people that ignore tax debts, but they are also quite hard on companies that refuse to make agreements (its a waste of the court's time) - and Equita know this, so make sure you record your contacts (recorded delivery letters - keep the slips and staple to copies of the letters). You may also want to copy correspondence to your Council with their rejections of your offers and a covering note explaining what you have said above.

Lilclare, if you are on a low income is the council not paying your Council Tax (I assume Council Tax as Equita is mostly involved with CT and the threat of prison - only CT/Tax/TV Licenese carries this threat).

I refer you to my last comment - this was with Equita, so if not (and not CT) then I guess you have to give more info.

Thing to remember is that they have NO right of access UNLESS you leave a way open to them (i.e. you leave the door open or a ground floor window - grey area this one!) OR you have invited them in before - the CAB told me that if they have been invited in previously they can actually break and enter to regain access (some quirk/twist of the law they said) - not sure how true it is, but do not let them in! If they knock and will not go away, either ignore them, call them from the upstairs window (telling them you will not give them access regardless of their threats) or tell them to phone you - but DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR TO TALK TO THEM PERIOD.

Don't ignore it though - assuming you are a home owner - as they can apply for attachment orders and sell your home from under you!

Good luck

Edited by JustANormalBod

hiya

first time on here so i hope you can help i have equita baliffs on my back to i missed a payment and was told another baliff was coming round to remove my stuff. i rang them and asked if i could pay by 1st dec and was told it was ok. then i recieved letter saying a baliff was coming round i rang again and was told try to pay by the 28th, i rang on 27th to be told the case had been given to a baliff and they have to take the case.i got through to him that night he told me he hadnt even looked at my case and i would have to wait. given that equita are the most rudes people i wrote a letter of complaint and receved 1 back the next day saying i did indeed have till monday 1st to pay in full which i have done only to be told i have charges of £160. the baliff didnt have the case for 24hrs and hadnt even come to my door i told them to go swivel for it im not paying the charges but i have now paid my debt in full.

am i right

Angie, you missed a payment to Equita (agreed amount?) or you missed your Council Tax and the council passed you to Equita?

If the former, then Equita IS the baliff - and they just assigned it to an agent/collector within their company, so what were the charges for? A visit is less then £25 max (law) and interest is linked to base rate (a few points above) - which is pretty low right now :-) So what's the £160 new charges for?

If the latter, then they do charge their supposed costs (and 160 is light from what I've seen, believe me!).

Careful the £160 doesn't mount up with interest and further charges - get the CAB to question these costs for you - I assume you have already asked for a breakdown and been ignored

Good luck

I have been religiously making payments to Equita since august last year after having a liability order taken out against me. I made an arrangement with Equita to pay on a weekly basis and all was fine until just before christmas when I started having problems getting through to their office to make my payments. I would get so far on their automated system only to be told there was a fault, call back later and then the line went dead. to add to this my bank put security measures in place against my debit card over christmas because they thought there was some unusual activity on my account so I couldn't use my card to pay Equita over the phone.the last time I payed was the 18 December. Today I have got home from work to find a hand delivered letter from Equita saying that I have 24 hours to pay the remaining debt. I rang the bailiffs number on the letter and he has given me time to get the money but £200 has been added to it for what he says are enforcement costs. I know this isn't right but what do I do now?

I would say, first off pay the normal amount, but also ask them for a formal breakdown of whst these costs/charges are. There are legal limits to what they can charge for and how much - an 200 is a lot. Report it to your council (they will probably ignore you) - in writing and Equita (also in writing) and go see the CAB about it. They may make a nice little threat for you that will get Equita to backdown.

As for the online thing, it breaks down all the time - its really flakey - I have found if you leave it until late at night it seems to work better - during the day it takes half a dozen attempts.

...but get that breakdown of charges.

Hi Justanormalbod,

thanks for your advice, I shall be getting in touch with the CAB and writing a letter to the bailiffs. I am so totally hacked off that after paying over £900 to Equita they can slap on another £200 to the debt seemingly for the heck of it and it's money I really can't afford to part with. Apart from one other letter last August when I made the payment arrangement I have heard nothing from Equita until now and all the bailiff did was put a letter through my door which hardly seems to warrant the amount of money he is asking for.

• 1 month later...

To ohdearwhatshallido. I have council tax arrears with the crappy Equita and i asked them to take my car and they wouldn't as it would cost me a further £300 to get a tow truck etc... i've have been issued with a warrant of execution and i have researched this and have found out that i can fill a form in for the courts to suspend this warrant (N245 is the form) but Equite wont give me the warrant information to fill in on the form. i have wrote to my council to see if they will take this debt back (as aparantly you can ask this - u dont get told anything unless u look - god bless the world wide web) so if it goes any further at least you know you can try to do something about it.

Keep smiling!!!!