• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Chip & PIN FRAUD - Check your statements

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Another Garage PIN Pad and ATM are attacked by PIN harversters and cloning equipment.

Over 1000s victims in HULL. So if you live in Hull, or passed through Hull, used this garages ATM or paid inside for Fuel or Goods using your Debit or Credit Card with a PIN - Check your statements.

Article Here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip and pin is not in the customers interests per se, and was never designed to be.

If you have card fraud where your card is physically stolen from you and used then you are automatically deemed liable unless proved otherwise by the bank because you have been 'reckless with your PIN'. It doesn't matter that the thief could have followed you into the last shop you went in and saw you put your PIN into the terminal (which normally have very poor shielding around the keypad) and the picked your pocket outside.

Under the old state of affairs it was always the bank that was liable unless it could prove you had been negligent.

Subtle change in burden of proof = Massive difference in fraud payouts for bank

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

I have read a lot of these things with interest and what i would say is this, if someone has a crime reference number then there is no reason why a refund should not be forthcoming.

i see no end of peoples pin numbers standing in the que, i think its a very poor system, i normally tell the people on the quiet i know there number and suggest they change it, and im a short sighted old git

I have read a lot of these things with interest and what i would say is this, if someone has a crime reference number then there is no reason why a refund should not be forthcoming.

Here's one case where a lady had just that (a crime ref no). it wasn't until the media became involved the the situation was resolved.

Why Wont Bank Believe Me.

You can be given a crime ref number for just about anything, and even make one up for all the good it will do. I switched to PIN & Signature after telling my bank that I wasn;t going to be compromised by anyone hitting on my code and the bank saying this was proof of disclosure.

Can you refuse to enter your pin and ask to sign a slip instead? I have complained in certain shops due to the fact their machines are fixed and people behind me can quite easily see me enter my pin. I have been told by shops in the past that they are unable to override the pin entering, yet when my card didn't work I was allowed to sign a slip!!

I feel really uneasy about the whole pin saga now and would prefer to sign!

Can you refuse to enter your pin and ask to sign a slip instead? !

No you can't - the retailer would be within his rights to refuse the transaction. However, you can ask your card issuer for a Chip & Signature card (which replaces your Chip & PIN card). it works the same way, however the retailer will ask for a signature instead. The downside, is that is you also lose any ability to take cash from an ATM as the PIN is removed from both the mag stripe and Chip!

No you can't - the retailer would be within his rights to refuse the transaction. However, you can ask your card issuer for a Chip & Signature card (which replaces your Chip & PIN card). it works the same way, however the retailer will ask for a signature instead. The downside, is that is you also lose any ability to take cash from an ATM as the PIN is removed from both the mag stripe and Chip!

How annoying! I shall just to have to keep away from the shops I complain in then!! I dont think I can replace my card with one I cant withdraw cash with.

Funnily enough, I've found this much useful - especially with the rise in fee-paying ATMs. My local 24x7 ASDA happily dish out up to £50, so I'm less likley to fritter it away than I was before - so it actually still worked to my advantage!

i work in a garden center...we get lots of pensioners coming in every day that have debit/credit cards and can't remember the numbers. they ask if they can sign for their purchases but we have no way to override the pin system anymore since 14 feb. so most of them put on their glasses and go ferreting about in the same purse/wallet they keep their cards in for the pin number that they have written down so they can remember it! (i always tell them off for it but they say..." i can never remember it!)it scares me! these lovely people are so open to fraud because they don't believe that it will ever happen to them or even know it could happen to them.

I really don't mean to sound patronising or rude because i love my customers...they are all mostly customers that come here every week and i know them by name, or at least by sight, and i look after them. i will put a "sign up for the over 60's day sign"(on tusedays, or any sign we have for the day, in front of the pin machine as a sort of shield on the counter every morning so that people behind them can't see them putting in their pin no. i've even had some older ladies(and gents) that are too short sighted that will tell me their pin no.s for me to put in for them! (if anyone is behind them i will stop them at the first number...when i realise what they are doing(!)and ask them to whisper it to me.)

as someone who works on tills i wish we could do something for the older generation(i hope i don't offend anyone by saying that) who really just want to sign their name and not have to remember a number, and then possibly get fleeced. but at present ,we can't.

becca xxx

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 9/11/06

statements recieved 5/12/06

prelim letter sent 5/12/06

offer of £757 19/1/07 (not good enough i want £1414!)

"ta but no ta" and LBA letter sent on (19/1/07)

capital1 S.A.R sent 20/1/07

B/F S.A.R. sent 20/1/07

MIL S.A.R. sent 20/1.07

I think as others have said, you can change to CHIP and Signature cards. Just to briefly go off on a tangent, there was an article recently on a guy who has recently contacted the CRA's to state that only an application form with his signature and finger print would be considered valid. The only cost to him was an ink pad. Sounded a good idea to me

Sounded a good idea to me

It doesn't to me. If the CRA doesn't have the fingerprint already, how would they know if the one supplied on the form is genuine? Also, by supplying it you give permission for them to disseminate this signature across all their associates, clients and databases. It stinks, and to high heaven!

It doesn't to me. If the CRA doesn't have the fingerprint already, how would they know if the one supplied on the form is genuine? Also, by supplying it you give permission for them to disseminate this signature across all their associates, clients and databases. It stinks, and to high heaven!

The whole point is that the CRA's don't need to compare prints, and a print is only submitted with the Notice of Correction to deter spoofing. The actual print does not appear in the Notice of Correction itself.

The NOC is used to inform ALL banks, lenders, credit card companies etc that if they don't receive a print on a application form, then the application shouldn't be processed and treated as attempted fraud.

There is only one slight drawback. If you apply on-line for a credit card - you will get an instant decision that your application has been successful BUT the application itself won't be fully processed until you've returned a paper copy, signed and printed per your instructions. A small price to pay for added security.

Instant Credit Applications ie in store - can should be far more secure. The NOC facility should be available to the lender in real-time.

Advantages to anyone using this system are as follows:

It's primarily a deterrent

It provides a free indication and warning of attempted ID theft.

In the very slight chance of someone submitting their print when applying for something then the genuine person can prove without doubt that it isn't their print.

In addition it is possibly the only system available that produces an auditable trail to help identify a perpetrator.

The Notice of Correction follows your file. Therefore even if you change address without informing all the relevant parties, you are still protected.

If you don't switch bank accounts, apply for credit cards or loans then you only ever need to do this once.

You have a choice, if it's for you go for it - crooks don't have that choice.

The whole point is that the CRA's don't need to compare prints, and a print is only submitted with the Notice of Correction to deter spoofing. The actual print does not appear in the Notice of Correction itself.

The NOC is used to inform ALL banks, lenders, credit card companies etc that if they don't receive a print on a application form, then the application shouldn't be processed and treated as attempted fraud.

There is only one slight drawback. If you apply on-line for a credit card - you will get an instant decision that your application has been successful BUT the application itself won't be fully processed until you've returned a paper copy, signed and printed per your instructions. A small price to pay for added security.

Instant Credit Applications ie in store - can should be far more secure. The NOC facility should be available to the lender in real-time.

In the very slight chance of someone submitting their print when applying for something then the genuine person can prove without doubt that it isn't their print.

In addition it is possibly the only system available that produces an auditable trail to help identify a perpetrator.

The Notice of Correction follows your file. Therefore even if you change address without informing all the relevant parties, you are still protected.

If you don't switch bank accounts, apply for credit cards or loans then you only ever need to do this once.

Off topic but I must respond as I use the above system.

The whole point is that the CRA's don't need to compare prints. There is not database of prints. A print is only submitted with the Notice of Correction to deter spoofing. The actual print does not appear in the Notice of Correction itself.

Instant Credit Applications ie in store - should be far more secure. The NOC facility should be available to the lender in real-time.

This is possibly the only system available that produces an auditable trail to help identify a perpetrator - their print.

Even after your death, your nearest and dearest have something less to be concerned about.

How annoying! I shall just to have to keep away from the shops I complain in then!! I dont think I can replace my card with one I cant withdraw cash with.

You can use your Chip & Signature Debit Card to get cash back in supermarkets, etc.

The only reason for having a PIN with a Credit Card is if you do want access to withdraw expensive cash from an ATM.

TIP:

Use one PIN only with a Banks Own Savings Card. These cards can only be used at ATMs. Keep small amounts of cash in this account to be used if and when required. Transfer money as required into this type of account on-line.

All other cards - continue to sign.

Firstly a NOC is not a legal document and has no standing, other than provding s CRA with additional information to display TO ITS CLIENTS. Whilst I'm not privvy to how CRA's manage their database, but they're not going to sit there with filing cabinets of inky bids of paper all supposedly being there only to prevent fraud for the individuals who created them.

How do you know the fingerprint is not stored with the NoC? It's certainly not going to be too far away, as it will form part of that persons credit file, and will a contract for a mobile phone be deemed to be invalid without a thumbprint, if the retailer doesn't know one is required? I don't think so - and in the case of a dispute, contract law will prevail and a notew on a CRA file is so far removed from that it's not going to work in practice. Just like the Direct Debit 'guarantee', I can see the CRAs paying lip service to this because if gives them more data on the individual. As to it actually helping that individual, I seriously doubt it.

You can just as easily ensure your data is not compromised by never providing the same data twice. This may trip up CRA's but their goals are not mine, and a fingerprint or photo ID request by CRAs is but a small step from them eventually asking for a DNA swab. Don't laugh - it's already been suggested.