Council Tax and Bailiffs ref only - NO POSTS ALLOWED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Des

Firstly, calm down, We need more info befor we can advise.

Is the council tax for 07/08 year?

Has the bailiff ever been to your house?

If they have did they go inside?

Have they left you any paperwork??

As a single mum do you work at all?

Have you reied claiming a ct rebate?

Check out your councils website and see if they have the facility to see if you are eligible for a rebate, this isn't an application, just a " see if".

Once you have given us a few answers then we might be able to point you in the right direct

Cas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

i hope some one can help with what i can do, my wife brother has been living with us for years as he can not look after himself, we was getting full housing benefit, but then we found out that they had been paying us over the top as my brother in law was working.

they put a doe order on my wages form work witch i was happy to do but last sep i did my back in and have been off work since about a month ago i started to get letter form Equita informing me hat i had this debt to pay so i rang ( big mistake ) them and told them i was off work sick and and would be happy to pay what i can they told me i had to pay £679 pound a mouth i told them i did not get amount that when i was working they told be this has been set by the council.

today i got a letter say thay are comming to remove good from my house so i rang them again thay told me thay had been to my house more then once and i still not payed this is the fun part is NO one has been to my house as i have not been out of my house for a year i rang the council and thay said that equita set the amount they wish paying bk not the council so what do i do stop them from coming in my hose or do i kill myself so that debt go's away

thanks for any help

Edited by Madsolid

Hi All,

Just a quick question, I have bailliffs on my back at the moment for unpaid Council Tax (£485), They have made one visit and have not been into my home. My girlfriend called the bailliff to see if we can sort out an arrangement, and the bailliff advised that she would have to come to our house to sort out an agreement. My girlfriend told her that we work shifts so will have to find out when is best. We have not contacted her again. Now I know that we shouldn't let them in, and I won't. I've read some of the thread especially the first page, and I'm wondering if I can just send the letter quoted on the first page to the bailliff company, and not have any more contact with this bailliff.

Also, in the letter it says that to enlose a cheque as a first payment. I'm unable to make a payment by cheque, and I'm not sure whether to take it out, as I don't know how crucial it is, as to be honest I don't really have much idea of law and legislation when it comes to bailliffs.

Not too sure if I've explained myself very well, and if you need any more info let me know.

Hoping somebody can help.

Thanks in Advance.

the bailiffs called today and said they are calling back tomorrow to take my goods, can they force their way into my home?

i just don't answer the door anymore because I'm too scared, one of the previous bailiffs was aggressive..

but I'm just concerned about them breaking the door down.

does he have a walking possession agreement

CODE OF PRACTICE

ON

LOCAL AUTHORITIES' USE OF BAILIFFS

IN THE ENFORCEMENT OF LOCAL TAXES

UPDATE & AMENDMENT SHEET

April 2000

p5 Forcing re-entry

The law upon the rights of bailiffs to force re-entry to premises in order to remove

goods previously seized has recently been clarified. In Khazanchi v Faircharm

Investments; McLeod v Butterwick [1998] 2 All ER 901 the Court of Appeal held that

bailiffs may only force re-entry where they are being deliberately excluded from

premises. It will thus be necessary in most cases for the bailiff to notify the debtor in

advance of the date and time of the visit in order to remove. If the debtor is then

absent from home, or refuses entry, force may be employed

does he have a walking possession agreement

CODE OF PRACTICE

ON

LOCAL AUTHORITIES' USE OF BAILIFFS

IN THE ENFORCEMENT OF LOCAL TAXES

UPDATE & AMENDMENT SHEET

April 2000

p5 Forcing re-entry

The law upon the rights of bailiffs to force re-entry to premises in order to remove

goods previously seized has recently been clarified. In Khazanchi v Faircharm

Investments; McLeod v Butterwick [1998] 2 All ER 901 the Court of Appeal held that

bailiffs may only force re-entry where they are being deliberately excluded from

premises. It will thus be necessary in most cases for the bailiff to notify the debtor in

advance of the date and time of the visit in order to remove. If the debtor is then

absent from home, or refuses entry, force may be employed

above is saying

"to force re-entry to premises in order to remove goods previously seized", i dont understand the meaning of force re-entry and previously seized goods

i suppose in other words they have the right to break down the door.

if they have previously been in your house and have a walking possession agreement and you fail to pay then the bailiff has a legal right to enter your property to remove the goods levied on this agreement(goods previously seized) re-entry

they send you a letter giving the time and date this removal will take place and if if you are not at home they can force entry into your home

if they have previously been in your house and have a walking possession agreement and you fail to pay then the bailiff has a legal right to enter your property to remove the goods levied on this agreement(goods previously seized) re-entry

they send you a letter giving the time and date this removal will take place and if if you are not at home they can force entry into your home

thank you for your reply, well i guess it looks like they will have to break-in and more than likely will..

seems these people are a law unto themselves.

Just for clarification (sorry if i may have missed it earlier) If a bailiff does NOT have a WPO or levy and has never been in to the property, can they force entry?

depends what the bailiff collecting county court bailiffs cant magistrate court bailiffs can but it rarely happens

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c...orms/ex345.pdf

then your answer is no they cant enter your home

bailiffs collecting council tax must be certificated and they must gain peaceful entry to your home through an unlocked door open window or you invite them in (fat chance of that) if they have levied on a car this still does not give them the right to enter your home

thank you for responding hallowitch

i have a letter what they posted through the door

"legal entry may be used"

in accordance with the law goods may be removed from the property

i dont know where they get all these amounts i owe, it would seem maybe a made up number and they take a small amount of goods from the home to pay for it..does not make sense to me...

in this time of recession the council seem to do what they like..

just to have a bin emptied each week, what an expensive bin

o but i forgot, they have to have their council offices improved with the lastest plasma screens for people waiting in a queue to watch tv..and the lastest up to date computers for people to use, i mean really is this necessary.

o yeah and not forgetting the council staff sitting in their seats doing nothing and having a nice little chat about their personal life, or running around with a pad and pen.

Hi everyone

just joined and this site is fantastic, we have had he baliffs on our door step as well, have ran a check on the company and the baliff and the baliff does not come up as certified either as an individualor under the company certificate, what should i do now

nanna noos

nanna noos welcome to C A G

please start your own thread and give as much info as possible

what is the debt for council tax/parking ticket /T V licence E.C.T

to start new thread Bailiffs and Sheriff Officers click on this link it will take you to new Page near bottom of page on left new thread

Honeysuckle, if this is for Council Tax talk to the Council and make an offer of payment that you can afford to stick to.

Now this part is important......they MUST accept any offer you make so long as its reasonable. If you say you can only afford £1 a week and can prove thats all you can afford they are required by law to accept it. Problem is most Councils don't realise this so you may have to argue it with them. Im not saying offer £1 of course, offer what you can stretch to reasonably.

When you speak to the Council ask them to take back the debt. They may say "its been passed to the Bailiffs you have to talk to them". Rubbish. The Council can and MUST take it back if you make an offer of payment. Try to talk to the Court Officer at the Council Tax department and lodge a complaint against the Bailiff for their aggressive and worrying manner. This will prompt them to take the account back from the Bailiff's and stop them coming out.

Once thats done, contact the Bailiff's and tell them that the whole account has been taken back by the Council and if they attempt to attend your home you will refuse entry, and if necessary, contact the Police regards harrassment and trespassing. That should stop them coming out.

Then......make sure you pay the Council the amount you've agreed on the dates you've agreed.

:)

Capital One - Took them to court and they settled for the full £998

Aqua - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £424

Barclaycard - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £636

RBS/Universa - 1st letter sent, settled for £132

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

Many Thanks For That Will Get Onto Council Straight Away If He Is Definitley Not Certified I Will Have Great Pleasure In Sending Him On His Way If He Turns Up Again

you are welcome

nanna don't post on this thread now that you have started your own a lot of people don't reply to posts on this thread always post on your own thread the one you started with my reply on it

:) don't worry about it though not your fault the site can be quite complicated for new users

Quick note to follow up, if he's not certified you can report him to Trading Standards. (As confirmed by Trading Standards to me on the phone this morning.....loosely related issue) :)

Capital One - Took them to court and they settled for the full £998

Aqua - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £424

Barclaycard - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £636

RBS/Universa - 1st letter sent, settled for £132

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

Quick note to follow up, if he's not certified you can report him to Trading Standards. (As confirmed by Trading Standards to me on the phone this morning.....loosely related issue) :)

thanks for sharing that info i will defiantly be informing anybody who has a bailiff at their door who is not certificated to report them

echowitch

I tired to do what you said and phoned Haringey council, in my case. I got thru to customer services and they would not put me thru to anyone in Council Tax dept. I wrote them a letter with the info you put on this site and my current situation.

Today I received a letter from the council that they are

"unable to make an arrangement with me, as the liability order has been passed to Newlyn bailiffs for collection.

Please note that once accounts have been passed to the bailiffs, the Council will not intervene in the enforcement process and you will have to negotiate with the bailiff company regarding payment."

What do I answer them now?

I just checked the name of the bailiff that came to my door (didn't let him in) today and he's not listed on the site, not as working for Newlyn nor on his own name.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks