Council Tax and Bailiffs ref only - NO POSTS ALLOWED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they are not allowed to walk in uninvited but this does not stop them trying to put there foot in the door

speak to them through an open upstairs window tell them that you come under the national standards of enforcement as a venerable person and ask them to leave

go to the page bailiffs and sheriff officers at the bottom of page on left hand side you will see new thread

Equita!! I wonder if someone can help me. I have a £380 debt. I have paid 2 payments to Equita, one for £75 and one for £52. The third payment I made direct to the council of £40. Equity have said I broke the payment plan and they were not prepared to let me go on another one. Their bailiff came to my home while I was out but my son did not let them in. They left a note to say they had called. I rang the bailiff yesterday and told him what I had paid the council instead. I said that I don't have the £500 he says I owe and asked for a breakdown of charges to be sent to me. He said that there had been a number of calls to my home. I don't believe him as my son is at home most of the day having been made redundant. I said that no note/card had been left to say they called and he said that they did not have to do this. I asked how then would I know anyone had called. I said that I paid the council direct as I can't afford £75 or £52 a month on £40. He said that they don't have to accept a payment plan anyway as they are there to enforce, they are not debt collectors! He says I know have to pay them £85 a month as I can only spread the debt over 6 months. He said that is what the council set down. He had an aggresive tone and made it clear he would be back if I don't pay. I said he was not coming in and that I have instructed my son not to let him in either and he basically told me that I couldn't do this. I would prefer to go direct to the council but this horrible man causes me concern although I did not let him know that he bothered me. Can I just write to them and tell them that I am dealing direct with the council?

Thank you in advance for replies.

NN4 speak directly to the Council. Don't let them persuade you that you have to go through Equita, as you have the legal right to make payments to the Council. I had to remind Guildford Council of this as it was confirmed by my father (who works for another Council.)

Put everything in to writing about your payment plan offer to the Council. Also in the letter detail exactly what Equita have done and say you want it handled as a formal complain. This is what I did with CER and they have backed off and Guildford have taken the entire account back.

Capital One - Took them to court and they settled for the full £998

Aqua - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £424

Barclaycard - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £636

RBS/Universa - 1st letter sent, settled for £132

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

• 2 weeks later...

hi can anyone help basically after reading all the post have had a visit from rossendales we owe 1310 pounds now before all this my husband was made redundent and so they took a certain amount out of my wages up to january this year then they had me sign a walking possession order to me surely they havr been receiving money but obviousley with me working part time not alot then the council set these guys on me can anyone help

Hi,

This is my first time on here, and I have to say I am completly freaking out.

I got ill nearly 2 years ago and didn't really kno wmuch how everything worked and being on benefits and losing my jobs lets say did not help. I went and applied for benefits and it got lost somewhere and nothing went through and I ended up owing my local council nearly £800.

I moved and they sent me a letter to my new residence in another borough telling me that I needed to pay up. I was still on benefits and frankly barely making it. I filled in the form they requested, etc... I got a letter saying they will deduct x amount from my benefits cheque every month and the rest sent to a Bailiff!!

They asked the bailiff company (Chandlers Limited) to recover £250 and I got billed for £299. They of course wanted the money straight away in full but all I have is my £60 odd a week. After calling them begging and pleading, they forced me to agree to a £99 payment a month for 3 months.

I managed I still have no idea how to make 2 of those £99 payments, but the last one I couldn't. I have no money for gas, showers and food are luxuries I cant even afford, I try to pay small bits of bills here and lets not forget my all time favorite bankcharges of £38 by Natwest.

Now I get a letter saying that I owe them £163.56 and I frankly dont have that kind of cash lying around, and I cant afford to live with no food again for a month. And they want to pay me a nice visit. What can I do?

Pls help as I am at my wits end!

do not let them in to your house under any circumstances

cuylerJayde if you start your own thread it is better for you to get help it stops people getting confused with other posts

top of the page bailiffs and sheriff officers click on that this takes you to new page bottom of page on left see new thread post you problem there

welcome to C.A.G.

Hi, I have had problems with Bristow and Sutor RE: Council Tax. I was made redundant in April and informed them that I could not keep up with the agreed payment and would make lesser payments when I could afford to do so, which I maintained.

They are now saying that as I did not maintain the origional agreement the full amount is now payable and because I cannot pay it they will come and seize my goods next week even if I am not present. I have explained to them that I now have a new job and get paid at the end of the month and will pay them then, but they will not except this.

I requested a break down of costs from them and have discovered that the £200 check that I sent them a few months back was used to pay a £180 bill for baliff attendance and a van the last time they visited and did not contribute to my payment plan.

My partner signed a walk in possession order so that they would except payment installments and now I am worried that the baliffs will attend while I am out at work and gain entry to my property. They have already threatened my with the police and a locksmith... can anyone suggest what the best course of action is as I don't seem to be able to get through to them despite emailing and calling them constantly!???

Bit confused!

I have a letter from Marston. Re: C tax arrears. Do I send them a letter with payment and my affordable amount I can pay or the council? Also, they have stated if I fail to make immediate payment they will come back with a locksmith and remove goods in my absence, in accordance with the law. and they will do it at anytime without warning!

I am terrified, scared to stay, scared to leave! Dont know what to do!

Please help.

Thanks x x x

if this your first contact with the bailiffs and they have no levy THEY CANNOT ENTER YOUR PROPERTY

even if they had a walking possession order they must send you a letter giving you a date when they are coming to execute the walking possession agreement so STOP worrying

if you start your own thread you will get more help

if you have a car move it out your street now if you have a garden move any garden furniture tools E.C.T. don't leave anything the bailiff can levy on if they come to house DON'T open door to them keep your doors and windows locked

Wanted to post in this thread as it seemed like the best one. I can post it in a new thread if need be.

Basically I was out of work and claimed council tax benefit from march time to the end of the tax year. My claim was partially approved but seemed i owed about 110.00 after a second threatening letter from bailiffs a couple of days a go i tried to do something about it. I rang them up as i was logging onto their site to make payment. He said he had been round once before and dropped a note (which i hadn't got) and that it was too late as they were on there way out today unless i could pay £283. I couldn't of course. I argued that it was only 157 on their site and he said that didn't include today's costs sure enough as i tried to pay it after getting off the phone. It had gone up to £283. I have since been trying to find the money to sort it and reading on here the best plan of action. I eventually spoke to someone in the council tax office and paid what they said I owed. This was £110. I then spoke to the bailiffs who said this wasn't the right amount and they are going to come round today anyway.

Obviously I wont be letting him in but where do i stand and what is the best course of action?

Many thanks.

mcnuly it will be better if you start your own thread

if you have had no visits from bailiff you owe him nothing

Think thats all I need to know really mate. He claimed to have visited and left something which i dont have. Then said he was coming out today regardless of me telling him the debt was clear. It seemed like scaremonger tactics but I could be wrong.

Hi need help fast, have had visit from rossendales bailiffs for council tax debt that was originally £172 and business rates debt of £615 with costs the council tax is now £364 and the business rates are £815. if I pay the original debts directly to the council can rossendales still remove good from my shop for their costs. They are threatening to remove items from my shop which will effectively put me out of business, the bailiff that turned up has made a list of a number of items but I did not sign anything they are coming tomorrow at 11 a.m and they can just walk into our shop. i can pay the original bills to the council but am concerned that I am being ripped off with the costs and do not want to pay them. Please help asap. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a flat and another tenant from a neighbouring flat let a baliff into the building but they did not get into MY flat does this mean then can levy as they were in the building? I repeat I did not let them in but they did get in the building itself but not into my flat. First post and need help FAST plaese thanks!

Guest Happy Contrails

If you live in a building that has separately council-taxable and self contained apartments and a bailiff has entered the communal area of the building then he cannot enter your locked apartment - otherwise he commits breaking & entering, or if at night, burglary.

If you live in a dwellinghouse having lockable bedsits sharing a kitchen & bathroom and a bailiff peacefully enters the building then he can break open internal doors.

I live in a flat and another tenant from a neighbouring flat let a baliff into the building but they did not get into MY flat does this mean then can levy as they were in the building? I repeat I did not let them in but they did get in the building itself but not into my flat. First post and need help FAST plaese thanks!

Im 99.9% sure that they need to get access to your property, and not just the building that houses your property.

It is a building with seperately council-taxable apartments. These people are ****. Thuggish stupid bullies. I have just spoken to the council and they seem willing to set up a direct payment plan but these bailiffs are still harassing me. What should I do?

Lodge a formal complaint with the Council's Court Officer. They are the only ones that can call off the Bailiffs and return the account to the Council. Once you've done that, if you get any more phonecalls, letters, or visits from the Bailiffs advise them of what you have done and tell them they are to take it up with the Council. If they persist, tell them that you will ring the Police about harassment.

Capital One - Took them to court and they settled for the full £998

Aqua - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £424

Barclaycard - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £636

RBS/Universa - 1st letter sent, settled for £132

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

Guest Happy Contrails
I have just spoken to the council and they seem willing to set up a direct payment plan but these bailiffs are still harassing me. What should I do?

If you are being harrassed or poestered by a bailiff then can make an official complaint against him.

Phone the bailiff on his mobile and tell him you are filing a Form 4 complaint against him for being a public nuisance or causing a disturbance. Ask him for the name of the court that issued his bailiffs certificate and quickly end the call. If the bailiff refuses to disclose it then phone the Ministry of Justice Public Register of Bailiffs on 020 3334 6355 and ask which court issued his certificate. Download the complaint form to make an official complaint against the bailiff http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form4_0606.pdf and send the form to the certificating court enclosing any supporting evidence to back up your complaint.

Its a criminal offence under Section 1 of the Public Order Act 1986 to cause a public disturbance and you have a right to report him to police, however the police have a propensity to say that bailiff crime is a civil matter.

Thanks so much for all the advice! So now that I am going to deal with the council what happens to the £200 I have paid the bailiffs? Will they keep this and say it was to cover charges or will it be subtracted from the bill I owe the council?

The council did advise me to set up a payment plan with the bailiff whilst they process my complaint but I am worried my payments will just be used to cover fraudulent charges?

If I can agree a payment plan direct with the council do I have to have any communication with the bailiff or will the council contact the bailiff firm?

Thanks again guys =]

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks