Council Tax/Housing Benefit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Unfortunately we are in the position where we have to claim Housing and Council Tax Benefit.

We would love to buy a property but do not earn enough and it is difficult to even earn enough to pay rent nowadays - to top it all we do not qualify for any social housing because we earn too much!!!

Anyway, we recently moved to a new area and a new house we are renting. It is actually NEW - never lived in.

I appealed against the Council Tax band as it seemed excessive - result - one band lower - do not be afraid to do this!

Then the Housing benefit said that our maximum rent determination was £100 a month lower than ouir rent which seemed well out of proportion to the area. I appealed this and low and behold it has been corrected. They also made an error that made me look like I earn £10,000 more than I do so got that sorted too.

As I say, I don't like claiming but believe we should be getting what we are entitled to. Shame I have to spend so much time checking to get what is rightfully mine.:|

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat, so dont feel too bad!!!

I have recently claimed and been granted housing benefit but not council benefit ... I have a newborn and we are struggling while my wife is on maternity leave.

Something else worth exploring is a Discretionary Housing Payment which is short term help with housing funds for those who are experiencing financial difficulties.

As Bookworm said, "dont ask, dont get!"

If you look at it a different way, for most of your life you will be paying into the system and you will almost certainly pay in more than you take out. The only people I have a problem are those that think the world owes them a living. From the humble tone of your post that is not the case with you.

I reached a similar position last year as a student. I was in full time college and full time work (16hours and 35 hours per week respectively) when I was unexpectedly demoted due to my department closing at work. I don't know what the situation is now but at the time you couldn't claim income support while a student. I applied for housing benefit and council tax benefit. I was awarded the grand total of 45p a week housing benefit and no council tax benefit. I appealed and was told the decision was right. I told them (in not so many words) to stuff it as it would be more hassle than it was worth.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks