Han3302

Advice re Halifax please!!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4957 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I first heard about reclaiming bank charges a couple of weeks ago when my sister mentioned it.

I really thought about it and thinking back over the past 6 years, thought about all the money I have lost through Halifax's bank charges. These actually caused me to fall into serious financial difficulties, by losing part of my salary per month to charges, I then relied on credit cards etc to get me through month by month.

Anyway, I decided to write to Halifax in the first instance. I haven't any bank statements from Halifax as I now bank with Natwest and I know I should have requested statements first but couldn't wait to start a letter to Halifax and get it in the post.

I wrote to them one of the standard letters and asked that I have refunded all my charges that were unlawful and which caused me to fall into financial difficulty. I think I am slighly naive in thinking Halifax will refund all my charges without me having to check them out manually by checking statements.

Anyway, this was sent on Monday 8th Jan. I today receive a letter back (dated 10th January), saying they are sorry that i am unhappy with charges applied to my account and that they will get back to me no later than 4 weeks.

Now - what do I do? In the meantime, is it best for me to request statements dating back 6 years (if so, how long does this take?) and is this letter a good sign? I would have thought that if they weren't going to refund me they would write back saying "we feel these charges were lawful etc etc and therefore we will not be refunding...".

Has anyone had a similar letter and if so, how long does it take for them to write again?

I would be very grateful for any advice on this!

Thanks in advance

:-)

Hiya,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes this is a very standard letter, but you will need to send for your statements so you will know exactly how much they owe you, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I havnt heard of anyone getting money back with out doing it properly.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi Han and welcome.

I have 2 accounts with Halifax and last night I phoned the online number requesting my transactions under the data protection act blah blah and the lady was really nice and helpful and put the request in straight away for me. They deduct £7.50 out of your account and send them to you and this saves you having to send a SAR which will take longer for you to receive your statements. The number is 08457 203040 and press *0 and you will get an operator. You could do this tonight.

I would recommend you follow the steps that they recommend on this site as more than likely you will have to file to court and if they have any sniff that you may not know what procedure you are following they may agree to go to court.

Hope this helps:-)

Morgan Stanley

**Won 31.01.07 with CCI**

Capital One

**Won 19.04.07 with CCI**

Halifax current & Joint

Verbal S.A.R 11.01.07, stats recd 18.01.07

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Frazercard Prelim sent with CCI 27.01.07

Burtons Prelim sent with CCI 22.01.07

RBOS Visa S.A.R sent 12.01.07

Partners JJB card (Creation) *Won* with part interest - 15.02.07

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs