• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

chrissy3554 v - Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all on this forum,

Fairly new to this - sent out my first letter to YB on the 03.01.07 asking for bank statements- they cashed my cheque on the 10.01.07, so now waiting for statements. Hope to keep all posted on how I get on and look forward to us all receiving money back which is rightfully ours!

Chrissy

Chris :cool:

Good luck Chrissy.

Yorkshire Bank Plc £3553.77 Prelim letter sent 14/9/06 LBA sent 22/9/06, MCOL Sent 10/10/06 MCOL Notice of Issue Rcvd 12/10/06, MCOL Acknowledged 17/10/06, £929.00 Offer Rcvd, 03/11/06 - Rejected, 09/11/06 YB Defended, 10/11/06 Transferred to Local Court, AQ Returned;) 30/11/06 Copy of Banks AQ Received, 1 month extra asked for by Clydesdale, 09/01/07 £2140.00 Offer Rcvd, 09/01/07 - Rejected, 11/11/07 Allocation To Small Claims Track, Court Date Set - 05/03/07, 15/01/07 £2590.00 Offer Rcvd, 15/11/07 - Rejected, 07/02/07 £3773.77 Offer Rcvd (FULL), 12/02/07 - Accepted, 21/02/07 - Chq Received for FULL AMOUNT. :)

Hi Chrissy...

I have received a reply from my first letter `Data Subject Access Request`....Only took four days to get a reply..

It`s just an acknowledgement really ( courtesy letter ), haven`t received statements or anything yet....

See my thread, i`ve detailed what it said, yours when received should be the same.....

. ..........Good luck.....Swag Bag..

Hi All,

Received letter back today from YB. It does appear to be a fairly standard one but differs slightly from the one that Swag Bag has received -

Dear Mrs XXXXXX,

Re: Data Protection Act 1998 - Data Subject Access Request

Thank you for your recent letter in view of your request for details for charges applied to your account. I confirm that the bank shall be able to supply you with copies of your bank statements for the period requested, which will deal with your transactions/charges.

We confirm receipt of your £10 fee.

Within the terms of the Act we have 40 days in which to provide you with the information we hold and we will forward this to you in due course.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to telephone this office on 0113 231 5670 or write to us at the Advice Quality Unit - Charges Section, Third Floor, Brunswick Point, Wade Lane, Leeds, LS2 8NQ quoting the above reference.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew West,

Administration Assistant

Advice Quality Unit - Charges Section

...............so here we go!

Chrissy

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Chrissy,

I tried to post the same question the other day, but my account had been frozen because someone had tried to hack into my account :confused:

I`m coming up to around the 35th day without receiving my statements, but did get a reply acknowledging my request for them after a few days.

I am also wondering what happens if the 40 day limit is passed, does this go in our favour in the latter stages of our claim ?....or if it drops on the mat after 45 days or so, does it not make any differance and we just carry on to the next stage..

Just wondering if anyone could clarify this for us....Thanks ......Swag Bag.

Hi Zebbydog,

Thanks for the numbers to ring. Where are these numbers based? Just a bit concerned in case it is Scotland as I know they operate in a different way there. Have now looked at the letter that was sent from Yorkshire Bank confirming receipt of request and cheque for £10. It gives a number to contact (01132315670) for further assistance so I might try that first.

Many thanks,

Chrissy

Hi Swagbag,

I think we are both at the same stage and will probably be in for a long haul. I am off work this week so was hoping to have received the info and would have had the time to work on it as I think it may take quite a few hours to add up all the charges!! Will give the telephone number a call which is on the letter that I received - I reckon you will have that one as well. Keep me posted how you are getting on.

Thanks, Chrissy

Hi there, just to let you know that my husband is still waiting for his statments but they do seem to be cutting it fine as its about 32 days now since I sent off for them . I have put in a claim for my charges, I am a little further down the road -see yo-jimmy thread, I am a bit daunted as I now have to fill in the Allocation Questionnaire. I asked for all my charges back except the debit interest which was just a few pounds in comparison, no problems so far , so hope I got it right.

Regards, yo-jimmy

Hi All,

Just done a quick calculation and the charges I am claiming back total £4557.02!!!!

It looks like I will have a busy night inputting everything into a spreadsheet. It makes me angry to think about the times I have had sleepless nights regarding the state of my bank account but on one month alone I had over £250 taken out in charges - no wonder I always struggled. Anyhow, revenge is sweet but at the end of the day I am only claiming back what is rightfully mine.

Will keep all posted,

Chrissy

Hi Folks,

For other claims I have used the MSE calculator but I do not want to mess up with Yorkshire Bank and need to totally itemise and name charges (I think?). How do you get the spreadsheets to automatically calculate days since charge imposed and the interest? I think I must be 'overtired'!!! but cannot seem to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Chrissy :???:

Hi Chrissy,

I couldn`t get the ones on here to work but had a scout around and found the one below, it does calculate the 8% but doesn`t add the days since. Must go am in a rush....

Bank charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, so you can get six years money back | MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge, Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

Regards Swag Bag.........

Hi Swag Bag,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The calculator that you mentioned is the one I have already used for other claims but with YB being for a large amount I don't want anything to go wrong and for them to throw my claim out....just a bit daunted really as did not realise how much I had been robbed and do not want them to get away with anything.

Have you sent off your claim as yet? Did you use the other calculator?

Regards, Chrissy

Hi Chrissy,

Just waiting for someone to reply to my thread ( make sure i`m going about it correctly ).. I think i am.

Have only used the MSE calculator as i can not get any others to open.

Shall wait till Friday to post my letter, gives people a couple of days to reply to my post..

Regards your claim, when your 8% is added on, that will take you way over the £5000 limit. Don`t know how you will approach that ( but i guess you`ve already thought of that.. )

Regards.......Swag Bag..

Hi Folks,

Thanks for advice Swag Bag - the amount I quoted earlier was a quick calculation. When I did it on the spreadsheet it came out at £4474.19 without the interest. The interest has come out at £346.11 giving me a total of £4820.30. Someone may be able to correct me but from what I have read previously you can still go to the small claims court as long as the amount before interest is under £5k.

Still not sure what address to send letter asking for payment to - can anyone help with this - please?

Thanks, Chrissy

Chrissy, your interest looks a bit low to me, i am claiming 3.2K and my interest is £740, plus on the amount your claiming just one years interest is £358. i know that interest amounts do vary depending on when the charges were applied over the last 6 years, your calculations might be correct just don't want you to lose out

Yes, i was thinking the same as moss.....it looks as though you`ve added 8% to £4474.19...

My interest comes out to roughly the same as yours and i`m only claiming £1350...

but of course we don`t add that on untill later in the claim so you have plenty of time to take a look at it...

.....Regards Swag Bag.

ps... I`m sending mine to :-

Charges Section

Third floor

Brunswick House

Wade Lane

Leeds LS2 8NQ

This address was on the last correspondence i received from them..

( sending by registered post )

Hi Folks,

Thanks Moss and Swag Bag for the advice to check my interest - I don't know what has gone wrong then. I used the simple excel spreadsheet on the site but I did have to keep adding rows and clicking for it to reformulate so it may well have gone wrong there. Thanks for the address Swag Bag but I have already sent letter, not to the exact address you have put, but to Leeds anyway. They should receive it tomorrow did recorded delivery, so will wait and see what reply I receive.

Regards, Chrissy

i don't know a lot about computers etc but try this, on your excel sheet go to the bottom of your entries and click on the interest amount, then go to the formula bar at the top of the screen and you should see fx =sum(F9:F256) the number in brackets is the number of rows calculated to give you the interest, if you have more rows than the number in brackets, click on fx and alter to a number to cover all charges

Hi Folks,

Thanks moss - you are a star. I did what you recommended (I didn't have a clue!) and the recalculation has come out with £1,044.39 in interest :) . Thanks again. I will not worry about this too much at the moment as I have already sent letter but if it goes to court, which I assume it will, then I will amend the amount and inform the court of this.

Regards, Chrissy

Hi Folks,

Received response today from Yorkshire Bank - basically telling me to b****r off!

Started off with a load of blah, blah, blah and finished with .........'I am not prepared to refund the charges on your account'. They also enclosed a complaint handling procedures booklet. The letter was not sent from any one person just from the Advice Quality Unit - Charges Section.

Within the letter they talked about their terms and conditions etc.

Can anyone advise on the next step please?

Thanks, Chrissy

If this was your initial request asking for the charges back then the next step would be for you to send them the Letter Before Action (L.B.A)

Sarah.

Yorkshire Bank

Started Process 19th Sept 2006.

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Hearing Date 7th June 2007.

WON!!!!! 6th June 2007 :D

Frequently Asked Questions

Example Step-By-Step Instructions

Wow Chrissy,

We are neck and neck at the moment, this morning i also received the same fob off as you , acompanied by a ` complaints precedure letter `

I shall hang fire for a couple of days and read up on some more threads before i send LBA letter, which i think must be the thing to do....

.........................Swag Bag