• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

is this thread helping anybody ?  

5 Caggers have voted

1. 1. is this thread helping anybody ?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

What would stop us from forcing a debt collection agency into declaring how much they buy debts for and also how much they actually collect etc ? As if a bank is making a illegal profit with the way it charges then technically a dca could be done for the sma ething in a similar wya ? correct me if i am wrong !!!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can claim unlawful charges from a DCA like the banks. However, the amount they paid for a debt would be classed as commercially sensitive information and you have no right to ask for it. It makes no difference to you how much they paid anyway, except that you would know how much to offer to settle it. (That's why they wouldn't tell you)

• Haha 1

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

Even if it is commercially secret so are the bank charges are they not ? same with pcns etc ?

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

To Bailiffchaser,

I wonder if it would be possible to work out how much they pay out to buy these debts from their company accounts filed at Companies House, I think it would have to shown in the accounts as say....Purchasing of consumer debts or something like that maybe?????

Sparkie1723:)

Guest The Terminator
To Bailiffchaser,

I wonder if it would be possible to work out how much they pay out to buy these debts from their company accounts filed at Companies House, I think it would have to shown in the accounts as say....Purchasing of consumer debts or something like that maybe?????

Now that would open up a very large can of worms:)

I was told earlier on that it would be impossible to chase a bailiff company and recover any money at all. I have proved it can be done easily. ccs and now jbw just waiting for the cheque to arrive. you could always get a judge to order compliance and the dca would have to cough up how much the original debt was bought for. Trust me on this i know i am not making sense but can you make any sense of what i am saying as i need to know you know what i am typing about ?

• Haha 1

I think I know where your going;)

And I like what I think you're thinking;)

Been thinking along similar lines myself for a few weeks now;)

Do I make sense to you :)

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

So who is going to fire the first shot ? i could do it no problems i have lowell trying to cheas me for 2 debts. i dont really want to cca them as it takes the fun out of screwing them up really badly later in court.

To Bailiffchaser,

Unfortunately the accounts aren't as straight forward as that. They don't always have such specific terms. And it woiuld also be impossible to tell how many debts were included if there was such a figure.

I have access to all accounts and can check a few of the DCAs but don't get your hopes up

Spot

Spotnot v MBNA and their nasty solicitors (on behalf of my friend)

If I have helped in any way, click my scales.

Remember, we were all newbies once!!

When you win, donate!!!

To Bailiffchaser,

Doesn't the first company buying a debt from the original credit supplier pay between 7% and 12% for the said debt? Sorry, I thought this was common knowledge?

Isn't a Freedom of Information Act request in order, or is this only for public bodies?

Regards - Dave

If you had a dca chase you you could go after them in theory and have them up for illegal collection or something could you not ?

I'm not involved with Lowell, mine are with Lewis's, and DLC, plus an ongoing barney with Link Financial over a dodgy charging order they obtained through their suspiciously good friends at Lambeth CC.

However, I have been thinking about the costs DCA's buy the debts for because (drag up a sandbag) some DCA's have tried to use the argument that the contract with the original creditor was terminated (Link did with me) so they don't need to provide the CCA docs.

Now this to me means that there is NO longer any contract in force, so how can I owe them any money ? If however they manage to prove that I owe them anything, then as it is basically a new unsigned contract that I have never agreed to, how can I owe them more than they paid out ?? anything else is surely an unlawful penalty !

So if they could be forced to reveal what the paid for the debt, surely that is all they can claim, and if they refuse to declare what they paid, how can they give a figure to the court for their claim to be substantiated.

Anyone lost yet :rolleyes:

Exactly. if there is no contract there is no debt. if there is a debt there is a contract. if a debt has been bought then it has been bought at a knockdown price. In effect the bank writes the debt off its ledgers and sells it for argument sakes 20% of the value which means the bank is showing a profit and pocketing the 20% without showing it as so. hence cheating with the tax and vat and so !!!!!

So in theory we can also now f*** up the cras days as well. Also if one of us registers as a data controller then we technichally have the right to register data with licensed cr agencies as well ? Good though or just rubbish ?

there not required under any law/statute to tell you how much they paid and it has no bearing on what an individual spent/borrowed anyway.

There a profit motivated company not a charity and its not as if you ask shops e.g supermarkets what each of their products cost them so you can then claim thats all your prepared to paid them

But with Supermarkets they are offering you goods to purchase and it is your choice if you chose to purchase or not. You can always go to a different Supermarket and this is why shops have sales and offers etc. I have never heard of a DCA having a sale or a buy one get one free offer.

I feel that why DCA may have a role, the way they go about it is inexcusable and they should be called to account. Any challenge about what they pay for a debt would be interesting.

Another quick thought - what about looking at it from the other and getting the bank to tell you what they sold it for, could this come under the requirements of the SAR request for example.

there not required under any law/statute to tell you how much they paid and it has no bearing on what an individual spent/borrowed anyway.

There a profit motivated company not a charity and its not as if you ask shops e.g supermarkets what each of their products cost them so you can then claim thats all your prepared to paid them

Why not?? I do. There's no law against bartering a bit for a better price. Why pay Lowells 100 quid for a debt which the creditor has recouped through insurance and tax relief, and Lowells buy in bulk for about 8 quid a shot??

Or, as I've said before, deal with the original creditor or the court. Lowells are the bad guys here, not the debtor who may be in financial difficulty through no fault of their own.

You hit the nail on the head when you emphasise the 'profit making company' point. The County Court takes that into consideration when assessing just how much is really owed to whom, and they are only too aware of the tactics employed by some DCA's to bully people into paying more than they owe or can afford, if in fact they owe it at all.

Deal with the original creditor and cut out these bloodsuckers altogether.

Agree??....or would that put your own job at risk?????

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Bailiffchaser

That bears some thinking about registering s a data processor , The ICO states that if you keep any information about anyone other than a personal diary you must consider registering as a data processor ....if you use this information you MUST register.....Way to go Bailiffchaser I'm going to have a big think about that idea.

Sparlie 1723:)

if they can twist things around to suit them selves then why cant we do it as well ?

Even if it is commercially secret so are the bank charges are they not ? same with pcns etc ?

Bailiffchaser

The charges that you claim back from a DCA may be commercially sensitive but you DO have a right to ask them to break it down to support your case that they are unlawful.

But what they pay for the debt has no relevance to any claim you make for unlawful charges so you do NOT have a right to get an answer.

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

If the original contract with the creditor was terminated, then a new contract MUST be entered into for a debt to exist. If you have not entered into a contract with them, no debt can exist.

If they will not tell you how much they paid for a debt, how can they stand by any claim that they are not hitting you with unlawful charges ?? You only have to dispute the claim on the grounds of NO CONTRACT EXISTS and that you believe that the whole of the amount is made up of unlawful charges, then they are obligated to supply the court and you with a full breakdown of the monies involved or lose the case !! Surely ??

One other point that just came to mind.......

Any documents relating to the sale of the debt will include your name on them, therefore, surely it IS your personal data and IS covered by the DPA ??

Guest The Terminator

There is a way of finding out how much the bank sold a debt for and that's when a SAR is submitted.By law they have to give you all the information that they have on an individual or they are in breach of the DPA.(I'll post the revelent sections on this thread).Another way would be to use the Civil Procedure Rules and ask for full disclosure which is carried out at Court stage. I beleive it can also be invoked at pre-action.I can see where bailiffchaser is coming from and I agree if they can twist things around to suit themselves then why can't the consumer.