• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LuckyLeo V Woolwich/Barclays

LuckyLeo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The story so far:

23/11/05 - Sent LBA

24/11/05 - Letter promising to investigate by 22/12/06 from Woolwich

29/11/06 - Letter advising that mater had been passed to Barclays 'cos of the complex nature of the complaint!

30/11/06 - Letter from Barclays - investigation underway

22/11/06 - Barclays offer £785 goodwill gesture (original claim £1,561)

As I don't have a "parachute" bank account I decide to accept the offer

27/12/06 - Sent letter of acceptance.

The offer was made on the basis that I signed a disclaimer saying that the matter was closed and Barclays would deposit the goodwill payment into my account within 7 working days.

09/01/06 - 7 working days have elapsed, but no money received.

09/01/06 - Call Barclays to ask when money will be credited - told that they are waiting for my disclaimer letter to be returned. Explained that it was sent recorded delivery and that Barclays had signed for it at 9:35 on 28/12/06.

Gets better - was told that as it was sent recorded delivery it would have been delivered to a different address! Told them that it was sent using the pre-paid envelope that they had sent!

Asked for matter to be investigated and Barclays to call me before close of business - was told that it would be 24 hours before they could get back to me. No call back received.

10/01/06 Called Barclays to ask what was going on. Was told that the "7 days" for payment to my account is based on when it reaches their office - not from when it reaches their postroom!

Call handler took recorded delivery ref and checked - postroom cannot locate - they will search and get back to me.

So that's where I'm at right now - looks like they are stretching 7 days to 14+ days and in this time they are still charging me for being overdrawn!!!

I'm open to advice on this one, but my plan is to grit my teeth and wait for the goodwill payment to be paid into my account. Then I will print a statement from the internet, showing the date the money reached my account, and write to Barclays and advise them that as they are in breach of their agreement to credit the money to my a/c in 7 days my signed disclaimer is null and void and I consider the complaint to remain open.

Next, I will pursue recovery of charges applied whilst waiting for the matter to be resolved.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Hi Leo

Why have you settled for half your claim?

Its your money!!

Why did you not accept part payment on what they offered and then go through the courts for the rest.

You may think you have them over a barrel but banks are a very large institutions and have a lot more legal firepower than the man in the street.

I hope you do get all your money but i feel there is a much easier way of going about rather than play with timescales.

AL:)

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

Thanks for your replies.

I am self-employed and because of several customers not paying over the last year, my credit record is less than perfect. So I think I would have problems in opening a new account at present - that's why I wanted to compromise and not risk Woolwich closing my account.

If you know of any banks that are sympathetic with people that have poor credit records that I could use for my parachute account I would be really grateful.

I like the idea of cancelling the acceptance letter though.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for your replies.

I am self-employed and because of several customers not paying over the last year, my credit record is less than perfect. So I think I would have problems in opening a new account at present - that's why I wanted to compromise and not risk Woolwich closing my account.

If you know of any banks that are sympathetic with people that have poor credit records that I could use for my parachute account I would be really grateful.

I like the idea of cancelling the acceptance letter though.

Here this might help remember you dont have to close down your account you only need your parachute account if they are charging you a fortune in penalties or they tell you they are going to shut it down.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

HTH

AL:)

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

Opened a NatWest Step A/C as a personal parachute account - no problem.

Also had a NatWest Business A/C - Direct Business Banking,with on line facility and cheque book (no credit) - opened no problem despite previous bankruptcy a few years ago

Good Luck !!;)

NatWest

01-08-06 - Request for refund sent etc followed by all the other nonsense!!

18-10-06 - Settled in full - DONATION to site made:)

Woolwich

01/08/06 - Prelim letter sent

03/08/06 - Acknowledge letter received from Woolwich

18/08/06 - 2nd letter from Woolwich

21/08/06 - Acknowledge letter received from Barclays

13/09/06 - Offer letter received

19/09/06 - Confirmed I will settle at my amount sent

06/10/06 - No reply so LBA sent

02/11/06 - MCOL filed

21/11/06 - Acknowledged rec

05-12-06 - AQ rec & returned

23-03-07 - Court date!!

Capital One x2

16/11/06 - S.A.R Rec

Wifes Capital One x 2

18/11/06 - S.A.R Rec

I, too, opened an account with Nat West. The Woolwich would never give me an overdraft facility because they said I had bad credit, but when I went to Nat West they gave me one straight away......I couldn't believe it. But if you just want a basic account to pay wages into I think most banks will let you open one.

Loopy