Loula

Bank complaints up 50% on last year!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4969 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

The number of complaints about high street banks soared by 50% last year, figures showed.

The Banking Code Standards Board said it received 3,500 complaints against banks during 2005, up by half since 2004.

During the final six months of the year, 1,200 complaints were made, the highest number of which were about interest rates and penalty charges levied by banks.

Other areas consumers felt aggrieved about included how secure and reliable the banking system was, including mistakes made by banks and transactions going astray, and the way banks dealt with people who were experiencing financial difficulties.

But even when people complained to their bank they were not satisfied with the service they received, with issues relating to complaints-handling the fifth most complained about issue.

The voluntary Banking Code Standards Board added that it had also received a number of complaints about the difficulty of opening a basic bank account.

These accounts are a Government initiative which aims to help people open bank accounts who would not meet the criteria for a standard current account.

But the board found that people were wrongly told the accounts were only available to people on benefits, and were not available to discharged bankrupts, or people with a bad credit history or those who had bad debts.

Others were told the accounts were only available to people who received a salary and not to those who were on benefits.

The board said that while these complaints were not numerous, they did give cause for concern

Taken from the news panel on Yahoo!

LOULA

they did give cause for concern

Eh? What WILL give them cause for concern then?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

The figures since this site started!

Cabot and the Cabot Fan Club Threads:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/73598-dealing-cabot-101-cabot.html

Legal Actions Explained for Businesses:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20492-legal-actions-explained-company.html

Payplan CCCS Advice:

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/getting-out-debt/128587-info-cccs-payplan-experiences.html?highlight=Payplan

How to use the Forum

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

A click on the scales below is appreciated if my posts were helpful

Do not regard my postings or suggestions as professional advice. If in doubt seek a professional opinion.

PLEASE DONATE IF SUCCESSFUL - Every little helps :)

PLEASE, Do not Private Message me with basic questions, start your own thread and PM a link if you wish, but I will not be able to respond to all individual questions as I am very busy on numerous other things and anyway, others cannot learn from PM's. It also stifles contributions from the vast talent base this site offers from it's contributors and I'm not all that clever really! :D Thank you.

Surge in Bank Complaints

Complaints against the UK's High Street banks went up by 50% last year, new figures show.

The Banking Code Standards Board said customers were unhappiest about interest rates and penalty charges.

The group said it had received some 3,500 complaints and enquiries in 2005 - up by a half over the previous year.

It is now possible that the City watchdog, the Financial Services Authority, may now take action against banks not handling complaints efficiently.

Board officials have met their FSA counterparts to discuss cases where banks have not met the eight-week deadline for dealing with peoples' concerns.

The BCSB received 1,200 complaints in the six months from August 2005 to last January.

The figures come only weeks after the Office of Fair Trading announced a crackdown on credit card lenders and ruled that late payment charges on cards were "unfair".

The OFT said they were unlawful but generated annual profits of £300m for the sector.

Lenders have been given until the end of this month to respond to the proposal to limit all such charges to £12 - less than a third of that currently levied.

They have also been ordered to consider curbing penalty fees on overdrafts and mortgages.

The BCSB said in its latest bulletin: "Given the BCSB is often contacted only as the last resort, we were concerned that our figures could be the tip of an iceberg."

Other topics which generated large numbers of complaints included secure and reliable banking systems or transactions which had gone astray.

Link --> http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13521658,00.html

This report was on the Radio 2 business news at 5.30 also. They had Mike Nailer from Which on who stated that the charges amounted to penalties and were "Unenforceable" and they were urging people to reclaim their charges.

Did anyone else hear it, and can anyone link me to the BBC report where he stated it because I'd like to hear the wording he used again. All I can get is the whole Chris Evans 5-7 show.

[

Here's the BBC link to yesterdays NI story ("The Consumer Council is urging customers of Northern Ireland's four main banks to take them to court if they feel they have been overcharged.")

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4867290.stm

Re the UK story, I only saw it on Cefax, not on the website.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

This report was on the Radio 2 business news at 5.30 also. They had Mike Nailer from Which on who stated that the charges amounted to penalties and were "Unenforceable" and they were urging people to reclaim their charges.

Did anyone else hear it, and can anyone link me to the BBC report where he stated it because I'd like to hear the wording he used again. All I can get is the whole Chris Evans 5-7 show.

I heard the brief report on Chris Evans show. Disappointed he didn't actually mention this site :( I don't have the time right now, but if you start listening to the show on the listen again you can then slide the time bar across in chunks until you get to where or at least near where the report is.

Have searched on the BBC site and found nothing relatng to Mike Nailer. Is that spelt right?

Neil.

edit - PS: Judst emailed Chris Evans asking for a transcript of the interview. Not sure whether it will be given, but worth a try :)

Judst emailed Chris Evans asking for a transcript of the interview. Not sure whether it will be given, but worth a try :)

Excellent. Please let me know if you get it. I'd be very interested in a copy.:)

[

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4969 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you