Jump to content

Unexpected response before even getting started.


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I'm still trying to work through all the information on this site, dear lord I am overwhelmed right now, so please forgive my ignorance as I do feel like the odd one out in these forums right now. :confused: But letter I received from my bank today has thrown me a little bit and need some assurance at this point.


My initial plan was to read as much as I can of this website to know where I stand, as well as other sites and sources if necessary, while waiting for a summery of charges from my bank. Then going on to send the preliminary letter to my bank requesting charges back, perhaps also seeking advice from CAB because I'm still cautious about claiming despite in my mind Barclays being far beyond unfair in their charges and in their error that left me with very bad credit.


Before this plan was formulated I wrote an impromptu e-mail to my bank expressing my dismay at yet another £30 charge. This was not meant as a preliminary approach, but obviously my bank took an educated guess as to where I may have been going with this as today I received an unexpected letter with the standard response with an offer of £350.


Do I now skip the preliminary approach letter and reply to this offer within the 8 weeks given to reply to this letter from my bank?


I still need to get a summery of charges before I can do anything, out of curiosity is this first offer a reflection on what charges I could attempt to claim back?


Is a letter the best way to go about getting a summery of charges and if so who does the check for payment for this go to exactly?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there and welcome firstly as long as the offer didnt come with a letter of acceptance for full and final settlement of any future claims, if it did add a note with your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) with the ten pounds made out to the bank you are with saying you accept this offer as partial settlement of any amount you are to claim back, then whilst waiting read up some more. Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the fast response.


There was a form for acceptance of this £350 as 'full and final settlement of complaint against Barclays bank plc', so if I understand rightly I would I go from here by writing a reply in the form of a revised version of the 'letter before action' once I have a summery of charges.


In which case my best action would be to get a summery of charges with a letter and check to Barclays Bank PLC firstand while waiting for that summery of charges seek advice from CAB to prepare for possible further action and carry on reading information on this site before going any further.


Am I on the right lines here?

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a definate the plan, I'm certain the full charges are far more than the £350, no use in claiming if I don't know what I'm asking for :)


Thank you for the link to the rejection of settlement offer template, I hadn't seen that elsewhere on the site, I was going to use a [nicer/more polite] altered version of the LBA template, but that's much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you've put my mind at ease here, at least I know I was along the right sort of line of thought on where to go from here, still got a way to go before I fully understand it all and get the ball rolling...but anyway, yes thank you very much for your help, very much appreciated :)

Link to post
Share on other sites


"out of curiosity is this first offer a reflection on what charges I could attempt to claim back?"



What I have noticed on my claims is that the bank/credit card re-calculates all your charges at £12 and then offers you the difference between this and the amount you have already paid them. This is normaly their first offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As has already been stated do not miss out any part of the step by step instructions just alter your letters accordingly , as these are template letters and not set in stone.


When you eventually come to lodge a claim into court it will be expected by the court that you have tried to settle first and a claim was the only option left to you.The court would look at 28 days as being a reasonable time in trying to resolve this first .This is why we are saying do not miss any steps out.


Reading through some of the longer claims already won would be very helpful to you


keep us posted :)

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd need confirmation from the more knowledgeable here, but if this is a direct reply to your email regarding one £30 charge, then as it says it is a final settlement for your complaint, i.e. your compaint about that one charge, I would consider accepting their exceedingly generous offer and then continue to claim all the other charges. However this depends on the wording of your complaint and their reply. Be very careful as you don't want to accept unless it is absolutely clear they have sent this offer as a settlement for the complaint against that one charge.


If their reply is based on your DPA request saying you will claim all your charges then I would suggest using the Rejection of settlement letter as mentioned above and then carry on as per the recommended steps.


This is the safe option and TBH I would carry on with the 'official' procedure.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.


Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000


MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07


NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07


The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...