Debt with MBNA & Credit Solutions Ltd

Katze

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having run up a huge debt on 2 MBNA credit cards I am finding myself unable to meet even minimum payments.

Last September I was on holiday and took cash on the card from an ATM which pushed me over my limit. When I arrived back home I was called continuously by a company called "Global Vantage", at least 4 times a day, every day. Even when I wasn't coming home until 7pm they continued to harass my partner with calls. This continued even when I had agreed to pay some of the oustanding payment, and it continued even when they promised that it would stop. I couldn't afford the 130 pounds that they wanted, only 100. I told them this and they couldnt give a toss basically telling me that they would continue to phone me until I had paid them the arrears in full. I asked if I could start a payment plan as I was having difficulties, but was told that I would have to phone another number which was permanently engaged.

It became so bad in the end that I had to change my phone number.

In December I paid the minimum payment on both cards, but I have found that the minimum payments are not covering the credit limit, and so I am 400 over my limit on one of the cards. Making the minimum payment had a knock on effect which meant I went over limit on my current account and accrued about 160 in bank charges.

So currently I cannot pay the 400 overlimit although I intended to pay the minimum payment when I get paid this month.

This morning a letter came from Credit Solutions Ltd stating:

We have been instructed by MBNA to contact you regarding the above unpaid amount, which is now overdue

MBNA is unaware of any query or dispute and therefore requests payment immediately

Should there be any genuine reason for withholding payment, please contact us and every effort will be made to resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

Continued non-payment may result in adverse information being registered with the credit reference agencies.

Now, I have read a bit about MBNA and how they deal with people, and also experienced their "service" first hand, so I am loathed to contact them or Credit Solutions.

What would you suggest should be my first port of call?

Please help and many thanks in advance for any advice.

My husband has recently gone bankrupt and also had a few credit cards most of which were backed by MBNA (they are Alliance & Leicester and some others but are all MBNA really) and we have had a lot of trouble with them too

They have really a lot of problems with manual intervention on an account , they don't reply to letters apart from a flood of pre-printed threatening ones that were received on a daily basis and pretty picture postcards with "Dear Paul, I will be calling you week beginning....if this is inconvenient please call (mobile no.) Best regards X (and in the small print in the middle it would say MBNA and a return address) But nobody would ever show up. They put enormous pressure on you, borderline harrassment / intimidation

Luckily they did not have our new telephone number so we were spared the phone calls but the flood of letters was astonishing.

Of course when my husband declared himself bankrupt it stopped, but MBNA is a terrible company to deal with

I am sure you will get a lot of support and good advice here, I know I did

Good Luck

Totally agree with Nicole99, MBNA can be very aggressive and underhanded.

But the GOOD news is they can be made to toe the line once you’re in control of things.

Having read your Original Post (OP), you say you have charged for going over your limit, is it at all possible you have been charged for late payment in the past, on either account?

I would suggest that you send a SAR for both accounts by registered mail and include £10.00 fee, to MBNA asking for details of your banking history. You will find the template here, and they have 40 days to comply.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

From this request you will be able to work out how much and when you have been charged. If there are any charges, and you say in the OP you were charged in Sept on one, then this would put the account/accounts in dispute. If an account is in dispute then they can’t take any further action until resolved. This would also stop Credit Solutions Ltd in their tracks.

If you go through the process of claiming back your charges, which I would recommend, then you can use these funds to reduce your debt.

OR

Work out your Income & expenses (I&E), CCCS and National debt line will assist you, and offer MBNA what you can afford on a Pro-rata basis, be it £1.00pm. At the end of the day they have to except what you can afford. Because if they go to court that’s what the judge goes on, he will also take MBNA’s lack in coming to an agreement into account. Letters here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Either way please remember

DO NOT phone……..Only contact to be by correspondence…..Keep ALL correspondence.

These guys have no more rights than the common man, so don’t be bullied. We can stop the phone calls and show you how to use the threatening letters they send against them.

I have had massive problems with MBNA also Global Vantage calls etc, I even had someone at MBNA ring me demanding to know what I'd spent 'there money' on etc etc and that I was being investigated for fraud. All total rubbish and of course harrassment. There is a template here which will get the phone calls to stop but be aware even after i claimed harrassment and a breach of the administration act they still tryed calling my work 4-5 times a day and if this happens to you give Trading Standards a ring. They are currently being investigated by TS and this will get the calls stopped.

MBNA can be a real nightmare one of the folks over at the national debtline said that they were just about the worst people to get credit with, I have to agree.

MBNA are scared of the courts so they would much rather (eventually) try to get a payment plan direct from you instead of a CCJ.

Be wary of Credit Solutions as well. These people use the phone as a weapon. If they have a number for you they will call it constantly and I mean constantly.

As others have suggested, make use of the tools provided on the forum. Also don't hesitate to complaint to your local Trading Standards if MBNA or Credit Solutions step out of line. Most people don't bother to complain and that's why these people get away with behaving the way they do.

I might add that we are working on a way to make it a little easier for people to complain.

• 5 weeks later...

Credit Solutions have somehow gotten hold of my work phone number and are now hounding me at work every day despite me telling them that I do not discuss financial matters over the telephone and promptly hanging up and also telling them that it was a work number.

I will be taking this up with Trading Standards, however, I am also getting letters from MBNA's collection department as well. Can someone please clarify whether they are allowed to use DCA's and chase me at the same time?

I am so stressed! But on the upside, this is a temporary situation, with a bonus day coming up at the end of March I am intending to clear the arrears and pay off a large chunk of debt. I really do not want to send outgoings and incoming statements to these idiots(MBNA), I simply do not trust them!

erm this may be a bit off the wall but say you cant afford to pay it back but you want too try suggest a fixed rate interest of 0% on the balance you owe with no more charges etc and if they dont accept just make a small token payment(up to £5)or so until you get it your way atleast that way they cannot your say you are not trying to pay off your non essential debt then work out what you have to spare for the card each month and just do that . if they want there money back they will eventually accept this it can take a bit of time but hey its better than to keep paying interest which adds up to a lot more of what you have taken from them and also you will start to pay it off instead of just interest each month good luck