Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

MKelly44 v Barclays

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



My current situation is as follows:


Applied for statements from Barclays , received without a problem and even had cheque returned!!!


Sent PRELIM letter, received response saying looking into it blah blah ,,, may take up to 8 weeks.


Sent LBA , offering to accept a 25% reduction if they were prepared to pay up so to speak!! Received same letter back saying can take up to 8 weeks etc.


Ready to start court claim now but unsure regarding amount to claim as it is just over £5000 without the 8% added on!!!! ( we have had rather a lot of charges in 6years!!!)


What I am wondering is whether I should claim for the reduced amount plus the 8 %( anything is a bonus to us really as it is such a large amount!!!)



Any suggestions would be gratefully received >:O)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Over £5000 is fast track, but this is nothing to be feared. Yes, you are liable for costs of up to £750 if you lose. But for that to happen you would have to get the bank into court first. The advantage is that there is Standard Disclosure, which means the bank would have to reveal their true costs, something, understandably, they refuse to do and therefore tend to settle rather sharpish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply >:O)


so do you think I should claim the full amount of £5140 ? As I said even half of that would be fabulous!!!


Since my initial claim, I have had a further 3 charges of £35, although they have refunded 1 of them as it was their fault. Informed them we were in the process of claiming back our charges and they said they were aware of it!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

so do you think I should claim the full amount of £5140 ?

If it was me, yes. But this has to be your decision. If you are concerned, by all means deduct some of the charges to under £5000.

Since my initial claim, I have had a further 3 charges of £35, although they have refunded 1 of them as it was their fault.

If you decide to go for the lot you can add the other two to your claim


Be aware that court fees for claims over £5000 are £250 but this is reclaimable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Be aware that court fees for claims over £5000 are £250 but this is reclaimable


Court fees are also based on charges + interest, so even if you reduce the charges to under £5000 to qualify for small claims track, plus interest will take you back over £5000 and court fee would still be £250. They get you every which way!!! lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

may as well go for the lot then lol.


just wondering if you know of anyone who has reclaimed such a large figure as i feel a bit nervous with it being over £5000.

I was under the impression that you could only claim for less than £5000 if pursuing it through the small claims.


Thanks >:o)

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are worried, then do as Michael says, and review your figures to lose some of the charges - you could be nice and review the dates you are charging from - moving the six years forward to the date of court issue - that may lose a couple of hundred!



Sign my petition to the Prime Minister here:






Link to post
Share on other sites

Received a letter from barclays today offering me £1000 as a goodwill gesture in full and final settlement of my complaint.


Think the letter is basically a standard letter stating that they don't admit liability and customers are provided with T&C's when they open an account.


I am not prepared to accept this amount as full settlement - should I say I will accept it as a partial payment and is there a letter template for this ?


Many thanks in advance >:O)

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can:

(a) Ignore it and file at court

(b) Send the letter minus the red bits and then file at court

© File at court and then send the whole letter


Dear [named sender or Sirs]



Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx. Prior to receipt of your letter I have filed a claim in the County Court and have therefore incurred further costs.


I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, interest and court fees now totalling £xxxx


I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.


I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.


I trust this clarifies my position.


Yours faithfully

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ever so much Michael >:O)


Just found the letter now lol. Should look properly before i post!!!!


Think I will proceed with the court case now rather than send the letter as the deadline is approaching so would just be wasting time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...