a CCJ from Southwest Water and wescot chasing payment **Resolved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

SSW/ Westcot.. I want to pay but not Westcots huge figure???

Hello and hope some1 can assist me in this matter,

i'm not a new joiner and have some thoughts as to my plan of tackling this matter,

how-ever just would appricate some points before i get cracking.

I was renting a flat back in 2004 from the council, to which i left after just 4 months of been there,

as i spent more time at my partners than my own, so it was cost affective to live together.

I contacted all the relavant companies, ie Gas,Water, and so forth.

And paid what i thought was the 1st and final bills from the companies that sent them.

Dec 18th 2006 i opted to do myself a credit check, and out the blue there is a county court judgement on my file,

from SSW for the sum of £218.00 okay i thought, most likely missed that when i moved, no problem, i'll ring and pay it in a day or so.

You could blow me down with a feather,

the next day a letter arrived from Westcot Credit services, saying that i owed £520.82 to them as there now owned the debt,

erm okay,

after ringing the court, the court confirms the above figure, their letter states 2 and half times as much,

I am fully willing and able to pay the figure that i owe SSW, £218.00 but i am not willing to pay Westcots sum of £520.82

I rang Westcot to inform them that i am willing to pay what i owed SSW, but not there figure,

i got a letter back from them, saying the account was now under investigation,

and there will suspend all collection untill the investigation is concluded..

however i have not heard anything since, which is now just under one month,

i want to get this resolved now that 2007 is here,

i just want to pay the SSW figure and get the judgement removed.

Now do i write to Westcot and inform them that i am willing to pay the amount owed £218.00 and enclose payment,

as i had no idea the sum was owed till i did myself a check,

i rang the court whom issued the judgement,

there informed me to contact the SSW to settle the debt

and the judgement will be removed.

Do Westcot have to accept the figure of £218.00

or will there continue to seek there sum of £520.82

Any advice regarding this matter would be appricated. Many thanks.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Hi,

I would write a letter to SSW with your offer explaining that you are prepared to pay the amount of £218 (Do not enclose payment) in full and final settlement of the debt and that if they are prepared to accept you can make the payment within two weeks of receiving there response via their preferred method.

Send the letter recorded delivery and keep a copy for reference. This way in the unlikely event that Wescot try to take it any further via the courts, you can show the courts that you have attempted to repay the debt, following the courts instruction to contact SSW.

The reason I say not to enclose the payment at this stage is because they have not formally accepted your offer and could potentially take the £218 and then chase you for the rest.

HTH

---------------

- SilkySmooth -

---------------

Hi thanks for the replys, have wrote and sent the letter to SSW informing them that i am willing to pay the amount owed, after sending the letter, i had a thought, very abnormal for me hehehehe say SSW accept the payment, will Westcot still chase for there amount since it has been passed to them?

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Letter sent to SSW by recorded delivery. through track and trace there recieved letter on the 12th so hopefully get reply this week. hopefully get all done and sorted b4 the 30 days expires. :)

Well well the postie brought me two letters 2day

one from SSW whom i wrote to,

and yep you guessed westcot,

SSW have written and confirmed that i now owe £202.63 for useage of water/etc for the time i was in the property, less than 3 months,

and £218.19 for the judgement made.

I am now in the process of writing to SSW again,

to seek a breakdown of the charges that there are charging me for,

as the sum for 3 months is quite high,

as for the judgement fee, wow guess thats a whopper,

not too sure where i stand on them charges any1 shout a few words of wise my way on that??

As for Westcot, there have just sent a standrard letter, asking for my last THREE addresses, erm why, non of there business really.

since me in contact with the company i owe the monies to, i

,m not even replying to westcot.

any advice on the judgemnt fee would be appricated. thanks w

If you received a CCJ without knowing about it apply to the court to have it set aside. Admit to the court that you owe £218 and are willing to pay this - might help to have also written to SSW, but don't delay with the court.

Provided that you can show that you did not get any docs from the court as you had moved and you are willing to pay what you owe - Bye Bye CCJ and burn in hell Westcott.

It is a £65 court fee though.

Thanks i'll get onto that right away, letter to the court, have contacted SSW and there want the full amount, but writing to them for breakdown of figure there seek.

Cheeky SSW sent me a bill from march 2004 to march 2007 today for the address this thread relates to,

cant beleive the cheek of them,

this going to take ages to sort out now,

as dont want to ring and shout,

as want eveything in writing,

so going to be some wks of exchangement of letters.

in the mean time i,m going to write to the courts and inform them what SSW has done,

after working things out, i estimate that i owe less than £50 not the sum they want plus the huge bill they sent me that i got today,

i'm livid with all this now.

how can they bill me for three years of water and sewage when i live else where now and pay another company for these rates etc.

will keep thread up dated, all help appricated.

• 2 weeks later...

;) Following another letter from SSW they have excepted that the bill is too high.

and want me to send proof of when i terminated the dwelling the bill relates to, which i put into the post today, 1st class recorded.

That will take a HUGE chunk out of the bill,

my calulations are that i now owe less than 60 quids:-) . plus the judgment costs,

do have a question,

since SSW took this matter through the courts, for a figure way beyond the debt owed,

and without my knowing, shouldnt the court now dismiss the judgment, since SSW claimed the wrong amount,

therefore the charges by the court are also in correct.

Not heard anything from Westcot, guess there will try to get more from me in the future,

as would guess that SSW won't contact them to let them know, its settled, when it is later in wk or so.

Really want to re contact the courts to inform them that SSW made wrong figure in j/ment,

but would it really make any differance.

The 30 day time limit to get it removed has now gone,

due to letter exchangement between SSW and myself to get it sorted. :(

;) Following another letter from SSW there have excepted that the bill is too high. and want me to send proof of when i terminated the dwelling the bill relates to, which i put into the post today, 1st class recorded. That will take a HUGE chunk out of the bill, my calulations are that i now owe less than 60 quids:-) .
If the judgement they got on you was for an erronious amount then you could probably use that to have the CCJ questioned.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

You can apply to the court to have the judgment set aside on the grounds that you did not receive the papers from the court

(I am assuming these were sent to your old address after you moved).

When challenging this you can tell the judge (probably in writing although you can go in person)

that you do not owe the ammount they ask for,

but admit a certain amount (you must be able to justify this amount) and offer payment.

The judge will certainly set the judgment aside in such a case.

There is a £65 court fee to pay and you can ask the court for costs, but don't hold your breath on that one.

:) Had letter from SSW today,

they have amended the amount owed which should arrive in the comming days,

dont know the figure, but least they now lowered to my estimate me hopes.

Now for the courts,

SSW would have put into the courts a judgment for the in-correct amount,

do i contact the court with SSW new figure, or will i still have to pay the judgment fees already imposed onto me.

I know i will now pay for the water used for the period stated,

but the judgment costs would be too high now the bill has been lowered.

Do the courts award SSW there bill money plus court fees or are there seperate to the bill owed?

i dont want to pay SSW then have to pay the courts two lots of money. ie the bill money then the judment fee.

Not heard anything from westcot so i might take it that SSW have contacted them saying matter resolved.

since i am now paying them direct.

shame matter took so long to get resolved, as might have had chance to get judment re-moved if sorted in time,

but guess 30 day limit now passed even though me acted straight away on finding out,

but with SSW wanting info etc this took month to complete,

oh well least bill amount much lower than there wanted, even though me didnt owe there figure in 1st place, a

ny1 give me hope/help on how i approach the courts that be great.

I would let them give you a letter for al lower amount, then go to court with this letter. Explain to the judge that you are willing to pay what you owe and ask for the court NOT to include costs on your side. If the judge sees that you are at right (be prepared to prove it in writing) then you should not have a problem.

In short don't do anyting (don't contact them etc) until they contradict themselves. Give them rope to hang themselves with.

Good luck - we are all with you

Thax guys, will await the amended bill, then write to the courts b4 paying SSW to explain everything in writing, hopefully there will remove the court costs emposed at least eh. up date once know more. :)

Horray got the revised bill from SSW less than £41.00 whippppeeeee no mention of the court costs etc,

now i want to get this paid and the company out of my mind,

however the figure on the credit file now is more than what is owed,

if i pay this above sum, this will still leave what is mentioned in my very 1st thread above,

do i pay this and then write to the courts to get the rest removed and send them a copy of SSW revised bill and payment slip,

to show i have now paid, or will i need to request a court date to get the matter sorted that way?

still a huge difference from what they 1st wanted out of me,

so am happy, just the court figure on the file now that is worrying.

any help b4 i proceed with payment to SSW in the next day or so. MANY THAX

Ello its the weekend and going to pay the monies on monday, then drop the court a line of explanations of happenings,

is there anything that i need to inform the courts, or will there amend my credit file once their get my letter,

i;ve heard that a fee might be payable for removel or putting a satisified note on my file,

do i have to pay this since SSW went to court without my knowing for a sum way higher than owed,

i'm going to write all this information to the court, but incase i miss anything,

let me know thank you. and will the courts take the sum showing owed off the file,

as what i am now paying is alot less than SSW appiled for at the court hearing,

of which there are now not charging me. the bill is now just for the water etc used during the period i was at the property. enjoy ur weekends

• 1 month later...

Hello just a up-date with respect the above matter, relating to the not so helpful Westcot.

Awaiting the satisfactory notice from the courts to arrive, after they informed me that a notice of set aside had passed the deadline,

so opted for a notice of satisfactory to be placed on my credit file and a copy to be sent to me, at a cost of £15.00

However the postman never fails to surprise me he brought another letter this morning, in respect of the excact same debt that Westcot were chasing,

which has already been paid and proof obtained,

yet there have intructed or sold the same debt to a group of Solicitors namely NELSON GUEST AND PARTNERS

whom are now threating me again with court action unless the debt is paid within 7 days,

i am really wanting to phone these people to give them whats what. hahahaha but thought its a 0870 number so wont bother,

anyhow just thought id let you know how things are going with this matter.

another letter for my shredder to eat, least that doesnt go hungery hahahaha

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, just another up-date,

i recieved the letter/notice of Satisfaction today from the court,

least that matter has now been addressed and sorted,

bringing my credit report back to better than good.

Along with the court documentation,

TWO letters from Westcot arrived informing me that the same debt was still not paid,

and balliffs were now in the process of visiting my home,

how these people manage to continue sending such letters, when even the courts have sorted the matter within a month or so,

yet Westcot are still at base one, let the balliffs knock i will have pleasure in telling them where to run skip and jump in not too many words.

Thanks for all the replys and i hope to assist others in there westcot dealings etc.

Remember everything in writing only and keeps copys just in case,

i,m sure westcot will continue hounding me for this now settled debt but hey least my shredder will not starve eh, hehehehehehe