• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ropey vs Mint **WON WITH CONTRACTUAL INTEREST**

Ropey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I've mostly been living in the Barclay's section but, I got a charge off Mint for a one day late payment which they (very snootily) refused to refund. I explained how much economic sense it would make for them to refund this one charge and save themselves the cost of a full claim but some people can't listen to good advice. :D

SAR went away to them a week or so back to RBOS t/a Mint, are they particularly slow in sending information out?

18/11/2006 Recieved Statements from Barclays.

20/11/2006 Sent Prelim for return of £575.

27/11/2006 Received offer of £290.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

8/1/2007 Filed Small Claim at court.

12/02/2007 Full settlemant from Barclay's.

12/02/2007 LBA sent to Mint.

Recieved an acknowledgement letter this morning from R Hodgkins at RBS stating that the cheque was received and they will comply within 40 days. Just a matter of waiting now.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Copy statements arrived this morning, a quick run through shows they owe me £188. If only they'd paid the £12 back when I asked.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Interest added at 18% brings it up to £290 ish

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Milly, best of luck, we do need a few more Mint threads round here, give me a link to yours when you get set up.

The address I used was the RBS head office in Edinburgh for the SAR but I've now changed to their Southend one:

Mint

Cards Customer Services

PO Box 6050

Southend on Sea

SS99 1WL

My statements arrived in a little over two weeks.

Best of luck.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Received a 'sorry to hear...' letter a few weeks ago followed by a letter this morning from Faye Yates.

It seems to be a fairly standard sort of thing.

"We changed our fees in line with OFT recommendations (how they still think they can get away with this one?) to £12 therefore, we have put a credit on your account of the difference this being £68"

The bit that threw me slightly is related to interest. The letter states that my calculation was incorrect at £91.23 and the correct figure is...72p Wow, I'm sure that If I'd bought something for £68 several years ago that I'd have paid more than 72p in interest.

Should I bother telling them to take the credit off the account? And, what form of letter should I go for to reject?

I'm assuming that a simple rejection of offer and LBA will suffice.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Just had a brief phone conversation with a chap at Mint saying I don't want any refunds to be paid to my account, I want them paid to me by cheque. He said this wasn't possible and that he'd have to take it up with the previous advisor (Faye Yates).

Again, any advice on this issue of enforced refunds is most welcome.

I presume that I should just take out £68 worth of charges and interest from the claim but I'm not sure.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

i have also spoken to mint today and they have credited my mint account with £96 goodwill blah blah.

This is from a claim for £396. will not accept £96 in full but as part payment. LBA sent on 30th Jan so counting down to MCOL.

In answer to your question Ropey, if you have outstanding balance then they will attempt recovery of that through their payment to you i think. dont quote me though i am a novice. LOL

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Chaddy (Chadderton? I'm originally from Stalybridge ;) )

I'll get a thanks but no thanks LBA sent off tomorrow.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Ropey,

Read this about rejecting offers and accepting it in part payment.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

looking at your post though I may of been too late. Im sure you have done ok;)

Milly X

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

• 2 weeks later...

I had a little bit of delay to this but the LBA went off this week. I kept the charges as per the original schedule but deducted the £68.00 from the total. seems fair.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

I'm offshore at the moment but I've received a letter, at home. It seems the sneaky folk at Mint have credited my account with all the charges (except the most recent one for £12 which sparked my decision to chase them) but have left off the interest.

I'm a little concerned now that this will make things tricky if I try to pursue things to the court stage. It seems that I will be pursuing them for interest alone. The fact that they've not paid the most recent £12 charge may be my saving grace as I can pursue that (despite their erroneous statement that it 'falls in line with the recent OFT ruling' )

Does anyone have any input on this?

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Oh heck this is being discussed here on CAG at the moment. I cannot give you the advice you need at the moment as it may be deemed incorrect. I will say this is what the banks/CCards are up to cos they want you to go in on Contractual alone, which is not proven as being awarded aby the courts.

Give me a mo and I will see if I can get someone to answer with constructive advice.

Remember Please whatever avice you get you have to make your own decisions.

Milly X

Hi, Ropey

Yes, I do. I suggested a wording to someone else in a similar situation. I'll have to take a while to find it, though - post again on this thread, and mention my name, if you haven't heard from me within 24 hours.

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Thanks a bunch guys, it is a particularly sneaky tactic but they've at least left a toehold by refusing to refund the latest £12 charge.

I wait with bated breath :D

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Hi, Ropey

Yes, I do. I suggested a wording to someone else in a similar situation. I'll have to take a while to find it, though - post again on this thread, and mention my name, if you haven't heard from me within 24 hours.

Westy

Hi Westy, just checking to see if you turned up trumps :D

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

FOUND IT! It was in the SonofSteven thread. Adapt as appropriate:

Here goes:

Brief particulars of claim:

Repayment of interest on amounts charged by the defendant and debited to an account with the claimant for purported breaches of a contract to supply credit services. The claimant avers that these charges and the interest thereon were levied against him in contravention of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

The Claimant claims:

a) the return of the interest of £xxxx charged on amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £xxxx

b) Court costs

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act as set out on the attached list of charges from (whenever) to (whenever) of £xxxx and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.022%.

Full particulars:

IN THE TOYTOWN COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN

SoS4064 CLAIMANT

And

(Credit Card Co) DEFENDANT

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant had an account number xxxxxxxx, ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around [whenever].

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant has automatically debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges (“the Schedule”) applied is attached to these Particulars of Claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account were punitive in nature; were not genuine pre-estimates of costs incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of

i) the Unfair Terms In Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 particularly but not limited to Regulations 5, 6 and 8 and Schedule 2, 1 e); and

ii); the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, particularly but not limited to sections 3 and 11 and Schedule 2 and

iii) the common law relating to liquidated damages and penalties in contracts.

5. To the extent that it is found that the Defendant’s charges are for the provision of credit services the Claimant contends that the price thereof is unreasonable pursuant to section 15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

6. The defendant had, in addition, levied interest on these charges at the rate of XX.XX%.

7. The defendant has repaid the charges themselves to the Claimant but has retained the interest it levied thereon.

8. The Claimant avers that, by this action, the Defendant has sought to enrich itself by the consequences of unlawful action, specifically, unlawful penalty charges as detailed above and applied in terrorem.

9. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the interest of £xxxxx (amount in words) debited to the Claimant’s account in respect of interest on charges detailed in the attached schedule, in the sum of £xxx (amount in words);

b) Court costs;

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act as set out on the attached list of charges or at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true

Hope that helps

Westy

• Haha 1

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

You rule Westy, thanks very much.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

Just to let you know how stupid Mint are ropey, my S.A.R turned up envelope big enough to fit a house in all ripped open and with vital info exposed I.E Card no, expiry date, date of birth , Me and O/H's joint account, sort code. phone number. and the BLINKIN PASSWORD to my account along with other stuff. I immediately rang them to say my information had been possibly compromised and to block the card and he says 'write in' well I never. Anyway I finally got him to see sense and they have stopped the card and will reissue new ones with a new account number. I also had to inform my Identity fraud service I belong to with Nat West and which is part of RBofS anyway.

Goodness me:rolleyes:

Milly XXX

Astonishing yet hardly surprising. I think I'll be clearing the Mint card and forgetting it exists.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.

I've not heard anything about that.

I did however, receive an unexpected letter this morning advising me that a further credit has been applied to my account. They've basically coughed the lot :D

Rather happy with that.

Keep me posted on your case Milly.

4/12/2006 Sent LBA.