• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Survivor -vs- Halifax **New Claim**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, I've just called Halifax phone banking - 08457 203040 and asked if they wanted a chq or would they be able to take the £10 out of my account for the SAR.

The guy I spoke to was very helpful and said that they charged all customers £5 for any number of statements - told me it would only be £5 whether I wanted 6 mths or 6 yrs.. - and that they would be with me in 7-10 days :confused:

Beats waiting for the 40 days and paying a tenner :wink:

My next concern, that I can't seem to find any answers to anywhere else on the site, is , supposing my charges amount to over £5000, can I submit 2 separate claims - to keep them below £5000 each - and state in the claims that claim 1 will be from Date X to Date Y and claim 2 will be from Date Y to Date Z? Obviously when they offer the full amount for claim 1, I would confirm that I was accepting in full & final in respect of that specific claim.. :? :?

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Survivor.

Yes you can split your claims to keep them in the small-claims court.

Each half then becomes a seperate claim and nothing to do with the other. Don't run them both at the same time, because if the courts see them, they will probably join them together as one claim. Wait until the first is settled, then start the proceedings again for the second.

Obviously if the total is below £5000 then you don't need to split them.

While you're waiting for your statements, spend the time reading the FAQs and the Step by step guide. The more you know, the easier your claim will be.

Good Luck.

Regards, Rooster.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Rooster,

Many thanks for the advice - as you can see, I registered to the site in October, and have spent the time since reading through the FAQs and also looking at threads relating to the banks I'll be claiming from.

I have all the letterstyped out and ready to send once I have all the details/charges incurred and am more than ready to go to court - from reading some of the threads it's one way that they try to scare you off..!

And yes, I have opened a bank account elsewhere, just in case the worst happens and the account is closed ;)

I made a New Years Resoultion -

'...to claim back what is rightfully mine...'

and fully intend to keep to it :D

Survivor :cool:

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hers's another couple of questions for the well informed..

At the moment I have an authorised overdraft of £600, which I use every month.

My first question is this, once they are aware of my intention (when they recieve the prelim letter) can they then withdraw the overdraft facility? And, secondly, if so what can I do as I'm not yet in a position to pay back the o/draft.

I suppose there's nothing to stop them withdrawing your overdraft facility - didn't actually think about that one when submitting my claim and because of the charges, I am regularly into my overdraft and for the last couple of months have been out the other side too. I am at court stage and no time have I been told I will lose my overdraft.

Now that's invoked the Law of Mr. Sodde...;)

HALIFAX

30th Oct 06 - 18th Jan 07 - Success in claiming £3617.95

HALIFAX 2nd claim

5th Mar - 16th Apr - Success in claiming £176

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

17th Mar 07 - Paperwork received - bits missing

19th Mar - Non-compliance for missing bits posted

9th Apr - ICO complaint filed

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

21st Mar - Statements received

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

31st Mar - Offer for £30 rec'd

10th Apr - LBA sent

Well, here goes...:eek:

Got home this evening and found that poor old postie had nearly put his back out...:smile:

In less than a week I got 24 envelopes with 117 pages of statements - here goes with looking through them and finding out exactly what I'll be claiming..:D

Blimey Survivor it shows there is no continuity as I phoned last night for my statements and was told £7.50 would be deducted. Lady was very nice and helpful though. Sounds like they may have put their charges up to get some extra cash for all the claims they will have to pay out lol!

Morgan Stanley

**Won 31.01.07 with CCI**

Capital One

**Won 19.04.07 with CCI**

Halifax current & Joint

Verbal S.A.R 11.01.07, stats recd 18.01.07

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Frazercard Prelim sent with CCI 27.01.07

Burtons Prelim sent with CCI 22.01.07

RBOS Visa S.A.R sent 12.01.07

Partners JJB card (Creation) *Won* with part interest - 15.02.07

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

Well, it's going to go into them in 2 separate claims..:o

I've gone through the staements and am ashamed to say that since Jan 2001, I have accrued the grand total of £5200 :eek: - give or take the odd pound - and that's not including the interest that I'll be claiming..:grin:

I'm going to submit the first claim covering 2001 to Dec 2005 and once they settle that, I'll put in another claim covering Jan 2006 to whenever the claim goes in.

Now the nerves are kicking in - since I requested the statements, they've hit me with another handful of charges. I trust that when I send in the preliminary letter with the schedule of charges, I omit the column relating to interest - is that right..:idea: Should I post the letter to Trinity Road, or can I hand it in at my branch and insist on a reciept..:?:

Hell, why am I nervous - I'm only asking for my money back. I loaned it to them witout being asked.. :grin:

Halifax 06-01-2007 Statements requested

12-01-2007 Statements arrive

Just looking at the pre lim letter - should I also be caliming for 'Interest Debited' :confused: :confused:

If this is the case, the I'll need to go over the spreadsheets again..:(

Yes any entry 'Interest Debited - Notified last month' you can claim back. I entered the date it actually was taken from my account. I am claiming just under £3000 and the debit interest added approx £30. Amazing what these £0.95, £1.01 etc add up to!! And don't forget, if they add any charges BEFORE you file at court you can add them on. (You knew that already.) Sally

Thanks Sallysas - Just on a quick scan through, they look to add up o about £300 - £350. Just going to enter them n the spread sheet..

I may be wrong but that seems an awful lot. The total I have claimed is also for over 6 years (November 2000) but only on one account. This is interest debited at the end of each month. It comes to £39.76. I am still learning myself but perhaps you should ask a moderator. If you get it wrong now all your effort will be for naught and they will get it thrown out of court or perhaps merely get the interest disallowed. I don't know. As yet I have not claimed any contractual or compound interest so you may be more of an accountant than I am. But that is what this site is for. Encouragement and elucidatation. Another perhaps stupid question. Are you adding the 8% on. This can only happen when you fill out your MCOL or N1. (See I told you I was still learning) Sally

Sally,

I have trawled through 117 pages of statements - that is no mean feat!!

I have taken all of the charges and found that the charges alone amount to £5435 and then added the amounts listed as 'Interest debitted - notified last month' - this totals £308.

I fully intend to make 2 claims to keep the total below £5000 and stay away from the fast track (just in case I have made a mistake..!)

The first claim is due to go off to them on Monday for £3583 + £250 interest notified- I have not yet added the 8% as this is for the prelim letter and not been submitted as MCOL or N1 - That would add approx £920 to the first claim..:eek:

I really do hope that I'm getting this right as it's quite sizeable amount to me and I would hate to fall flat on my face at the first hurdle - It's my first time claiming!!

If anyone else can give me any feed back, it will be gratefully recieved..:-|

£306.64 should be 8% when you go to court. Perhaps like me you are tired. I asked my maths expert to look at this and the above is his figure.

Without interest I am claiming £3866. With interest it adds a further £39.76. Have another look tomorrow. Maybe you have put the full stop in the wrong place

£306.64 should be 8% when you go to court. Perhaps like me you are tired. I asked my maths expert to look at this and the above is his figure.

Sally,

I appreciate that 8% is as you state, but I'm using the spreadsheet from this link:

http://www.cag-files.co.uk/barracad/Spreadsheets/England/Simple-charges-calc.xls

The final column has the formula for claim interest @ 8% APR. £306.84 is 8% as a flat rate, not taking into account the lengh of time that they have unlawfully been in possession of MY money. Having read the FAQs and the step by step instructions, I think I'm right.

Claiming:

£3333.00 for 'Charges as Notified', & £250.07 for 'Interest Debited - notified last month'

I will send the spreadsheet off to them without the 8% column, and will only utilise that inform when submitting either MCOL or N1 - That's how I under stand it to work..:-?

Right

Point 1. When you send off your initial letter for a refund of charges, you ask for the charges and any interest that has been taken from your account. YOU DO NOT ask for the section 69 statutory interest that is calculated at 8%. This is a rate that is ONLY applied at the court stage.

Point 2. I would personally increase your initial claim request. When you are trying to keep under 5k for the small claims court, it is 5k in charges and the interest debited so what I would do, and have in the past succesfully, is work out what date the total amount deducted from my account was as close to 5k as possible.

This is easy to do by highlighting the first charge on your spreadsheet, keeping your finger on the left click and dragging down. This will highlight everything and in the bottom right hand corner near your clock, it will show the running total.

So for example, if you had say 4958 in charges plus 36 inclauclated interest so 4994 THEN YOU ADD 480 fro interest (Or whatever figure) bringing the total value to 5474, this would still stay in small claims but would cost you 250 for the claim

Hope that helps

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Isiris,

Mny thanks, I was starting to think that I was in the wrong, and needed to send in the spreadsheet with the 8% column included. You must know what it's like - you read everything twice and are certain that it's going right and then you find something that makes you think again..!

I'm sending in the first claim tomorrow - NOT including the 8%...

...Here goes

Survivor :eek:

Right - the prelim has gone in, they should recieve it tomorrow...

The clock is ticking,

The LBA has been completed ready to be sent on 29th January

Here's to a successful claim...

Survivor 8)

Quck update...

Letter was handed in at my branch on Monday 15th Jan. This morning, I rec'd the standard reply:

Dear Survivor,

Thank you for your letter, recieved at this office on 15th January 2007. ( branch obviously faxed it through to head office..??!!)

Blah, blah , waffle.. you will recieve a reply shortly, but certainly no later than 4 weeks.

You will find a copy of our leaflet, which tells you how we will handle with your complaint. (read through it and there's no mention of delaying tactics, or the fact that they will pay out in full..:rolleyes: )

Surely they've learnt that people will follow their own time scale and NOT Halifax's. 10 days and counting down until the LBA goes off - it's aready typed and ready to print :D

I'll keep everyone update withmy progress..

Well, well, well..!

Rec'd a letter this morning from Halifax regarding another account that I have with them that is into the authorised overdraft limit. They are basically saying that I need to make a payment into the account within 14 days of the date of the letter. Letter is dated 18th Jan, which is 3 days after they will recieve my LBA.

Have they done ths to anyone else with another account..??

I'm tempted to to send them a letter something along the lines of:

Dear Halifax,

Thank you for your letter dated 18th Jan that was recieved at this address on 20th Jan.

Survivor is very sorry that you are not happy with the way that this account is being managed and will look into the points that you have raised. This will be added to Survivor's list of 'Things to do' and you will be cntacted shortly, and in any case within 4 weeks.

In the meantime, if I can be of further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me at the above address.

Yours

Survivor

Not sure how that would be recieved, but when all is said and done - it's a stalling tactic...! :lol: :lol:

Sorry are they removing your overdraft then?

To clarify:

Dear Survivor,

We have recently taken the opportunity to review your accont and note from our records that there have been no credits for the last month. (mainly due to paying unlawful charges on my other account)

We would like to advise you that under the condition of your account, a monthly salary or similar payment is required. (not mentioned when account was opened) Until recently we have not enforced this condition. (obviously because they have recieved a prelim for my other account!!)

I order to retain your overdraft facility, it will be necessary for you to fund your account on a regular basis. (£10 per month..??)

Please make a payment to your account within 14 days of the date of this letter...

...blah, blah, blah.

This was sent from Trinity road, which, by coincidence, is where I'll be sending my LBA in 7 days time :grin:

Anyone else had a similar letter for another account with the Hellifax - guess which account is next on my list for the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) etc..