• Tweets

• Hi Looking for some advice to get prepared for the worst. I purchased a 2015 car on HP in July for ~£33k. I took it to the main dealer for its annual service on the 25th November. As I went back waiting for the last bits to be done, I was called to the workshop to be shown one of the spark plug wells half full  of coolant. After an afternoon of inspection and an overnight pressure test, it was diagnosed as a crack in the water jacket. It is small, hence not noticing it by low coolant levels or other routine maintenance, and it’s the first service in the schedule where the plugs would be changed.    I immediately contacted the finance company and said I am Informing them of the fault under my consumer credit rights and I will be in touch once I know more. I shortly thereafter got the report from the dealer and forwarded it to the finance company. They finally got back to me last Thursday (response speed not being their strong suite once agreement signed..). Initially they tried to say they are talking with the dealer and I said as far as I know my contract is with them, and it’s got a crack in a lump of aluminium and the only fix is a new head- so it’s just who does the bill get sent to. The issue is obvious. They tried to say that the dealer is jointly liable to me? Anyway I went ok whatever intending to contact the dealer myself if that’s the case, however they then phoned me back saying they spoke to their manager and they need to have the car “inspected”, again I argued this as they already had a report from a dealer from a prestige brands main dealer - it’s akin to dropping an egg on the floor and then insisting it goes through 5 experts to diagnose why the yoke is all over the place..but they said they “can’t take my word on it” and need their engineer. I said I insist on being there during the inspection which they said was ok. They said they will contact me later that day or Friday to book the inspection. They didn’t. They did give me the name of the company as Scotia Inspections. So off I go to Google and no medals for guessing how I got here..   So anyway, I don’t want to be given the run around, nor just pay it all myself - the repair is nearly £8.5k - especially considering the time of year… Any advice on how I can get ahead of the (what I am sure is the start of) stalling tactics, blaming it on the offside rear tyre not being from rubber from jungles roamed by unicorns or something. I want the car repaired- as it is brilliant otherwise. So far the dealer has been very accommodating but they are a business- where do I stand if they start wanting to charge storage fees or similar? It is not at the dealer I purchased it from as they are 100miles away.
    • Last month, JP Morgan's Jamie Dimon apologised for comments he made about the Chinese Communist Party.View the full article
    • H i linzie   What is important here is your Daughter is the Landlord of the Property and has Employed the Services of this Letting Agent to manage the Property of her behalf.   Your Daughter need to have a good read of the Agreement that she signed with this Letting Agent.   She also need to check if this Letting Agent is signed up to any other companies that regulate how they operate and their code of conduct as she can contact them for advice i.e. if their is any reason they should not have carried out planned inspections during COVID-19.   IMO your Daughter needs to write to this Letting Agent and ask why these Inspections have not been carried out and if they are still going to give the reason of COVID-19 you require Full Clarification as to what Legislation/Regulation they are relying and the specific area and why you the Landlord were never notified of this.   Have the Tenants in the Property reported these faults to the Letting Agent before your Daughter had a look?   Who is the Letting Agent?
    • A number of tech solutions are out there to help retailers optimise sending out our presents.View the full article
    • Once increases in women’s education are accounted for, the gender pay gap change is only 3% since 1995.View the full article
  • Our picks

Point me to list of "claimable" A&L charges

XXneilXX

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have so far successfuly claimed against two credit cards (A&L and MBNA) and at the AQ stage with my bank NatWest.

I am now helping my son with his charges on his Alliance & Leicester current account. I am having a little trouble with what charges I can claim back. After looking through many questions and answers on this site I am still confused especially with the "monthly OD charge". This seems to change from £5.00 per month to £25.00 per month. What exactly is the situation with this charge?????

Hi,

I am not knowledgeable about A&L's wording of their charges. But as it is a variable charge could it be interest on the overdrawn balance - I'm sure someone in here wil lbe able to help.

Thanks for your reply Gizmo. The Monthly OD charge is not interest as this is shown seperately. I have seen on the back of the statements a list of charges. This says that the monthly OD charge is £5 per month for authorised overdrafts and £25 for unauthorised overdrafts and adding another £25 if this unauthorised overdraft is not cleared within five days.

My question is should I claim for both the authorised and unauthorised overdraft charges?

I am now helping my son with his charges on his Alliance & Leicester current account. I am having a little trouble with what charges I can claim back. After looking through many questions and answers on this site I am still confused especially with the "monthly OD charge". This seems to change from £5.00 per month to £25.00 per month. What exactly is the situation with this charge?????

Can anyone on here help me with this???

Which monthly OD charges are claimable?

Hi Neil, I claimed all they charged me except the interest on the overdraft as the spread sheet does this ofr you. The overdraft charge is a fixed charge and if it is authorised it is £5 a month but for the unautorised part it is £25 for the first three days, then another £25 for five days etc. So I claimed all overdraft charges from the unauthorised overdraft ( not the £5) the returned fees for cheques, direct debits and standing orders, plus don't forget any letter charges although they hadn't charged me for the letters I had had. Hope this helps.

:pSuzi x x

A&L - WON! - £5111.05

Halifax Visa repaid nearly £300 into defaulted card account!! At least I owe them less now I guess!

Halifax card cash account started then stayed!

Lloyds for a friend started then stayed nice letter though!

Suziyh,

Many thanks for your input. I also thought that this was reasonable but what exactly is reasonable when dealing with banks.

I will take the same line as you and be very happy (or my son will as he had not expected anything anyway).

Hi there,

I have claimed ALL charges EXCEPT the £5 fee as I understand it to be a service charge for having an authorised overdraft and the way I've read the 'rules' one can't claim for services.

Just to let you know, A&L went all the way to the last day before they had to offer a defence in court before they sent me a cheque.

Stick with it and good luck

Sid:D

Bear with me.

Hi there,

I have claimed ALL charges EXCEPT the £5 fee as I understand it to be a service charge for having an authorised overdraft and the way I've read the 'rules' one can't claim for services.

Just to let you know, A&L went all the way to the last day before they had to offer a defence in court before they sent me a cheque.

Stick with it and good luck

Sid:D

Thanks for the advice Sid. I sent my sons claim off today with exactly the same information. I removed the charges for authorised overdraft. Still left a tidy sum of £1,115 (without interest). Something my son never expected to see again.

We WILL win.

Don't forget to use the spreadsheet and add the banks own "Unauthorised Borrowing" rate of interest, it'll increase your payout dramatically if the charges are more than a year or two old :D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Juat a quick update.

Sent prelim application for payment letter on 8th and today received their stock reply (charges are reasonable....OFT referring to to late payments for credit cards only....yardy, yardy, yardy....).

I must say that A&L are responding much quicker than NatWest did.

Sent letter before action letter. Now wait for their second stock reply and off to the courts we jolly well go.

Just received second letter from A&L.

Usual thing, "charges are correct and inline with T's & C's"....... unable to refund......and a new one on me, "you can avoid further charges if you behave better" (well not verbatim but that is what they are saying).

They are quick in responding to our letters, lets see how quickly they respond to N1 being lodged in County Court.

My ovdraft charges are £10 during 2000 and 2001 and then are £5 for the other years, can I not claim the £0's or £5's then?

Hi Geek,

I have looked at my statements for the period 2000-2001 and on the back they show that authorised o/d charge (possibly legitimate) was £8 p/m. The £10 p/m was for unauthorised borrowing and is a penalty charge. Therefore if they were charging you £10 during this period then they were most likely penalty charges.

My statments after that period show that the authorised charge was still £5 and the unauthorised penalty charge was £25.

Regarding can you claim/can't you claim there seems to be two schools of thought here.

1) Claim only those charges that are clearly penalty charges, ie when you go into unauthorised overdraft, returned cheques etc. This is the option I personaly chose.

2) Claim ALL charges shown on the statements and let the bank come back to you and tell you you are wrong. Now, most claims are settled before court stage so this could be a good option as the banks may just pay up the figure you have quoted. However, you should always plan that your case could reach the court and if your claim is shown to be wrong in its detail you could risk loosing the whole claim.

The choice, as always, is yours.

Hello Neil and thanks for your reply.

My statement are copy statements and so show nothing on the back. Basically I'm not claiming the £5 and £10 overdraft charges at all, But I am claiming the £25 overdraft fee's. Is this the safest way possible?

My statement are copy statements and so show nothing on the back. Basically I'm not claiming the £5 and £10 overdraft charges at all, But I am claiming the £25 overdraft fee's. Is this the safest way possible?

Hi geek,

I think that the £10 charges ARE penalty charges and claimable. Reason being the bank have charged you for unauthorised overdraft yet also charged you higher interest rate on that unauthorised borrowing. I believe that the £10 is a penalty charge.

Yes what you are doing, by leaving off the £5 is the safest way and likely to bring you a less complicated payout.

• 3 weeks later...

Have just received A&L's Acknowledgement of Service to my claim filed with County Court.

Interestingly, they enclosed another letter from their Litigation Team informing me that some of my claim is over the 6 year limit (which I was well aware of when I filed this claim). This claim actually goes back to March 2000.

However, the interesting part of this lettter is the last sentence. "Therefore only costs incurred from 23rd Of January 2001 are potentially recoverable".

Am I reading this correctly??? Are they admitting that these costs are potentially recoverable???