BankFodder BankFodder

Guest Benthic

New scam

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4835 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Guest Benthic

We've just had this at work from our Facilities Management (FM) team.

"It has been reported to us that someone has been on site clamping cars, waiting for the return of the owner and taking money off of them for the release of their car.

This has NOT been authorised by the landlords, and if this happens to you please do not give over any money or details.

Please take details from them and report to FM immediately."

Nice.

Hah, the only difference between them and the private enforcement companies is that they act in collusion with the landowner... is there no CCTV in your workplace area, then?

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Guest Benthic

errmm, not run by our company, no.

Well, this [problem] is obtianing money by deception, obtaining money with menace, etc - if there are cameras in the area, the police need to be informed. They can then request a copy of footage from whoever maintains the camera.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

And if by chance you do get clamped, make sure you destroy the clamp completely by removing it yourself with a grinder. The clamping was unauthorised, so they have no claim against you for damage.

You actualy have a right to claim against them for the cost of removal. :D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Well, this [problem] is obtianing money by deception, obtaining money with menace, etc - if there are cameras in the area, the police need to be informed. They can then request a copy of footage from whoever maintains the camera.

It's also a criminal offence now (since May 3rd 2005) for anyone without an SIA licence to immobilize a vehicle. (And I think anyone with an SIA licence would not be operating this [problem] ... they would lose their licence.) The offence is punishable by a prison sentence up to six months, and a fine of up to £5000.

I think the police would be *delighted* to take action which will result in the prosecution of an unlicensed wheel-clamper. I'd get in touch with the community police officer to make arrangements to have the crook caught..

You can also report the [problem] to the SIA, but I''d have thought it better to deal with the local police.

Tim

For info on the SIA - Security Industries Authority - see

Welcome to the SIA - Security Industry Authority

And if by chance you do get clamped, make sure you destroy the clamp completely by removing it yourself with a grinder. The clamping was unauthorised, so they have no claim against you for damage.

You actualy have a right to claim against them for the cost of removal. :D

You need to be very careful about damaging the clamp - it is still the property of the clamping company whether they have clampe the vehicle legally or not. If youdodamage the clamp then you may be guilty of criminal damge..:eek:

If you get the clamp off without causing damage - take it to the nearest Police Station and hand it in giving full details -thisway you have made every effort to return it to the rihtful owner and have therefore not commited the ofence of theft..;)

Just don't cause any damage to it!!

Survivor :cool:

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you have been illegally clamped, this is a tort and no court in the land would convict you of criminal damage for committing the lesser tort of damaging the clamp to remove it as a method of self help.

IOW, illegal clamping ypur car unlawfullly deprives you of your vehicle worth several 100s/1000s pounds. Destroying a padlock worth £10 is insignificant by comparision.

So in other words.....

Destroy it and take great satisfaction in doing so :D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum