BankFodder BankFodder

tr03bor

Errors on credit report

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4835 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have several error's on my credit report to do with my DOB and my name, some are just the odd digit/letter wrong some are just made up! Can I request for these to be removed quoting the Data Protection Act saying the data must accurate? would someone draft me and letter please?!!! thank guys/girls!

If my post has been helpful please click the scales below my username

bump!

Yes, you can cite the DPA accuracy clause. This is a self-help site, so you need to read around the threads for rectification of inaccurate credit records, write your own letter, then post it up for someone to check before you send it off. There may be more material in the Debt & Bailiffs forum. Also, bear in mind that there are three agencies you need to check, Experian, Equifax, and...oh, it's a new one, I can't remember the name off the top of my head - but all three may hold differing data on you.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

To correct small errors on your credit file just write to the CRA's with the corrections and they'll put them right no problem, the onl time you'll get hassle and delays is when you are in real dispute with the Agency itself etc, minor problems they fix quick.

Sparkie1723:)

It could also be argued that you also have a right of privacy in these matters and choose to let the CRAs know that the data is wrong, but as the data subject, you are not willing to disclose the correct data. Might give them food for thought!

Hiya Buzby

Good thought but they then could argue if youdo not tell them the info is incorrect when you know it is'nt then they cannot be held responsible for that inf not being corrected if they do not know its wrong they can't put it right.

Sparkie 1723

Hiya Buzby

Good thought but they then could argue if youdo not tell them the info is incorrect when you know it is'nt then they cannot be held responsible for that inf not being corrected if they do not know its wrong they can't put it right.

Sparkie 1723

correct :D

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Hiya Buzby

Sparkie 1723

But you could certainly argue that as the information is incorrect, it should be removed. As you are not in the business of supplying personal data (your own) to unconnected third parties, there's something incestuous about providing your own data to a CRA.... IMHO.

so if the information is incorrect i should ask for it to be removed

Especially if you know it to be incorrect. The CRAs will of course want you to provide the correct information and provide evidence that it IS correct. I've refused to do this (as I have no contractural relationship with them), but they may decide to retain the incorrect information on the basis that any info is better than none.

they may decide to retain the incorrect information on the basis that any info is better than none.

Which action is pretty much definitely an offence under the DPA, in that it's a direct contravention of one of the core data principles.

Very true, but the argument they'll put forward is that the data subject is attempting to make their file less 'includive'. They could say that until/unless the data subject provides fresh information complete with verification, their existing information remains definitive.