BankFodder BankFodder

trianglehead

Another COMMISSION charge. Another round of claims I think.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4830 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

OK, now I'm really wound up...

On Wednesday my account went £19 over the overdraft limit and I transferred £20 from my ISA as soon as I noticed this (the same day) to keep the balance within its -£500 limit.

When whaddya know, today, there is a charge of £25 blankly labelled COMMISSION. I phoned cust. services this afternoon and was quite curtly told that this charge was for "card misuse", for a transaction which took me over my limit. I was really expecting they would agree to give the £25 charge back.

Now as I have been 'redlining' a bit lately I've had a few debit card transactions (supermarket etc) declined at the point of sale so why on earth not this one? I should point out that the money was charged to my account several days after the transaction as is often the case with debit cards.

I successfully got back about £800 from Smile about 6 months ago and I've had about another £250 in charges in the last 3 months. After they settled last time, they made a cryptic warning that "if I make any more claims for refunds then my banking arrangements might have to be reviewed". I'm not frightened by this as I know I am morally and legally on firm ground. If they take away my o/d or close my account I will just go elsewhere, happily. I have a large credit card balance with smile, but understand that they would not demand this back as it is under a separate agreement.

I am waiting a few more weeks when my finances will be a little better and then I intend to send another LBA, and begin another claim.

I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for your help in the past!

trianglehead

Generally as a rule of thumb at SMILE, they will only inpose a commision charge if the overdrawn balance (i.e. your £19) over the agreed limit is not paid off within the day it is incurred.

However from the sounds of it, you did pay it of, so they should not have charged you. I frequently go over, but pay off the amount and don't get charged, so i asked, and that was the information they told me. I was also told that their system for exceeding overdraft limits is purged every three days, so technically you could go over your limit for three days and not be charged. You would have to know the exact dates of when their system refeshes though!!!