Road Tax Petition

Joa
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sign and pass it on. it only takes a minute.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.

The tracking device will cost about #200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was #28 for a rural florist and #194 for a delivery driver.

A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid #86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit you can expect

a NIP with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedoms and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Please pass this on to anyone who owns a car/motorcycle. It affects them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Disagree. In the trials I have seen, the tracking data is not released to the billing system, the GPS uses its onboard memory to know the road types and the mileage travelled on each type, it is THIS data that is sent for billing, not where you are. Anyway, what's this to do with Road Tax, as mentioned in the title?

Maybe there are different versions being trialled but I wouldn't put it past the government to implement the least driver-friendly one. What are the benefits of the scheme anyway? Don't we pay enough money already? The highest petrol prices in Europe....

As for the title; sorry, probably not the most informative one, I just thought the tracking charges would be another form of a road tax.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think there are three 'road pricing' trials, but I don't think any of them required the full data set being sent for charging purposes - the problem is the vast volumes of data that will serve no useful purpose, except for a minority who the police WILL want to know, and would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. As for the technology, there will be winners and losers, I have to pay road tax on 3 vehicles and barely cover 5000 mile on all of them. If - as is promised - the burden shifts from petrol tax and it drops to 30p/lt I'll benefit. There is also scope for the pre-purchase of discount 'miles' like having a London Transport Oyster Card giving travel discounts. I still don;t think it will be a reality before 2015 anyway, there's bound to be a change in Government before then,

Honey, they already do if they want to... Like with ID cards, anyone who thinks that their footprints are not already all stored in many, many places is being overly naive, I'm afraid... :-|

In France, a fairly recent (About 2 yrs ago, I think) investigation showed that the average legal resident has their details recorded in over 30 different databases, state or private. There is no reason to think that the UK would have a lower average, IMO.

*sigh* I know, Auntie Bookie, I know...just wish it was different, is all. You can't help but feel spied-upon, or rather, pried-upon - I hate the feeling of busibodies poking their noses in, that your life isn't your own (unless you've got Form 7b in triplicate), that it's all right if you've got 'nothing to hide'... well, dammit, I've got nothing to hide! Doesn't mean I want my life spread wide to the four winds for any Tom, Dick or Sir Humphrey to see... :rolleyes:

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

*sigh* I know, Auntie Bookie, I know...just wish it was different, is all. You can't help but feel spied-upon, or rather, pried-upon - I hate the feeling of busibodies poking their noses in, that your life isn't your own (unless you've got Form 7b in triplicate), that it's all right if you've got 'nothing to hide'... well, dammit, I've got nothing to hide! Doesn't mean I want my life spread wide to the four winds for any Tom, Dick or Sir Humphrey to see... :rolleyes:

Ah, but you see, lovely Demon, that is all it is, a feeling. If you start dwelling on who might have seen you do whatever at what time and place, therein lies the path to madness. I try to think in terms that information that is being endlessly collated is stored somewhere, but that the odds of a bored civil servant deciding to pry through my files are so minute that it's not worth losing sleep over.

I did a brief stint as a cleaner in the Inverness DSS offices a good few years ago, and could have accessed just about anyone's info, should I have so desired... But frankly, too many files, not enough interest!!!! And I am sure the vast majority think that way too.

It's different the day that we lose democracy, and that employees are sent to uproot the deviant that we all are in some way or another... But frankly, the day this comes, I doubt that anyone will be safe anyway, whether their steps can or can not be traced... I suspect the ones whose history can not be tracked would actually be more at risk anyway... :rolleyes:

Signed.

In all honesty I think this is just yet another way of raising yet more taxes rather than anything else, and the motorist is hammered far too much already in this country in particular.

I even object to things like on-road parking meters, we already pay for the roads (and much of the money we pay isn't spent on them anyway), next we have schemes about to spread nationwide like the London congestion scheme or whatever it's called, which in my opinion has little to do with congestion and all to do with raising yet more money.

We already pay income tax, then VAT, new car tax if you buy a new car, insurance premium tax, road tax, fuel tax, parking charges and so on - where does it all end? The government are already acting illegally as the road fund licence is ALL supposed to be spent on the roads, but it isn't.

It's a disgrace and I will vote against ANYTHING that aims to charge us more for our motoring simply because we already pay too much. The authorities need to look at spending the obscene amounts of cash they already get more wisely instead of wasting it then looking to find ways to raise more to cover their poor budgeting and overspending.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)