• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A&L Close Account after issueing new card!

langthorne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Really desperate for some advice here as I can't see any other threads relating exactly to my issue.

Back in Oct 2006 I successfully won my claim (after court) with A&L. I paid off my overdraft and send them my card and cheque book requesting they close my account. I thought that would be it, but then realised after logging back into internet banking end Nov that they actually didn't close my account at all. I called them to ask why the account hadn't been closed and they said they didn't want to close it and would I like a new replacement card? At this time I was financially struggling and needed to get together some money so used my A&L account once the card was sent. Not to shop but to pay the bills/mortgage, etc. I have now received 2 letters from them (automatically generated) saying they are closing my account and last letter dated 29 Dec 06 that they have closed the account and any activity on the account would be seen as 'theft' etc. In this letter they have given me until 6 January (tomorrow) to pay the balance of £1767.00. I can't check transactions on this account as I can't see my statements and called them this morning to find out if this was an error. I'm aware they can close your account at any time, however this stinks of retaliation. I pay off the balance, request to close the account, they leave it open to temp, customer has activity on the account, they close it without warning (straight after Christmas) and demand full payment within days.

Anyhow, I called them and had to speak to the credit control dept who said that as I took them to court and didn't agree with their T&C they had every right to close my account. I asked them to send me statemenst showing latest transactions as they have added more charges now too??? and they've said that I would have to 'offer' them an amount to close the account. Is this game playing or what?

My dilemma is, I think I can scrap together most of the money and pay this dammed thing off, but it will be a massive struggle, however I don't want to be left with a default notice on my credit report and I also think this is the lowest form of f*cking with customers. Dangle the carrot and then kick them when they're down. If anyone has any legal advice or information for me on this situation I would love to receive it. Please help!!! Thanks

If you can scrape the money, it might be possible to pay them off to save any action, and then take them to court again for the charges

But then again I aint no legal person, someone else will be along soon to advise you propper

:) Delboy01

www.bellyup4blues.com Just Go There !!!

Woolwich Prelim Sent 5.12.2006 !!!

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22.12.2006 (yeah I know)

16.1.2007 £1000 offer rejected

LBA sent 31.1.2007

N1 presented to Court 15.2.2007

Won / Settled 2 days before court date

£5200 plus int charges returned.

All and Leics S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22.12.2006

2nd S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 15.1.2007

Statements received

Prelim sent 31.1.2007

LBA Sent 15.2.2007

Won £1500 on receiving court date..

Thanks Delboy,

I should have mentioned in my long not that I read in the CAG that you guys were looking into the legalities of banks closing our accounts and there wasn't much on it yet. I want to fight against the closure because of the way it has been done, a clear retaliation, which is surely unlawful. As is the fact that the terms & conditions being referred to them aren't conducive to the unlawful fees and therefore using that as an excuse to close the account can't be lawful either.

In my haste I forgot to mention A&L's reply to me this morning as to why then they sent me a new card and they said there is no record of this, however I have the card in my possession which clearly shows the start date/month!!! Lunacy.

:)

Guest NATTIE

I think I will bump this up as it may be interesting that they are closing the account even though there is a negative balance for further comments on this one from the evening bods.

Thanks so much for your reply and interest. I'm really in a bit of a state about this as they gladly said on the phone that there would be a default shown on my account as it is closed and showing a negative balance. IN addition to saying "I" would have to offer how much I want to pay of this to settle they said I had 6 months to pay the balance. Given I have no idea where I legally stand on this any help would be appreciated before I write back to them. I don't think a call this again is appropriate now.

Again, any help would be gratefully received...

Cheers

Guest NATTIE

A thought crosses my mind, any of that figure charges? And not sure on that default thing being right either?

I can't see what the total comes from and asked them today to send through a statement showing why the balance is so much, they did say they've applied charges which I'm not paying. I have to really wait for the paperwork to come through to decipher.

Yeah the default cannot be right, but as they said its because they have closed the account with a balance to pay remaining - unsure what my legal rights are here as it doesn't seem right to do that on top of demanding full payment within a week!

Guest NATTIE

Is it within an authorised overdraft? well I know you need to see the paperwork but did you have an overdraft on the account?

First thing to do is send them this:

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

Re: Account in dispute

I note from your latest correspondence that you are proposing to issue me with a Default Notice on this account - I need to make you fully aware that I am disputing the sum owed and, as such, you must refrain from any further action until this dispute is fully resolved.

If you do not stop this default action and proceed by making any adverse comments on my credit reference files, I shall be forced to take legal action against you under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Yours sincerely,

What was the date of their first letter giving notice of a/c closure?

A&L subscribe to the Banking Code which says:

Closing your account

7.5 Under normal circumstances, we will not close your

account without giving you at least 30 days’ notice.

Examples of circumstances which are not ‘normal’

include threatening or abusive behaviour towards staff.

When you asked to close the a/c, was this in writing?

Thanks so much for that Michael, I know I need to write to them but had no idea what I could say/propose.

When they paid up they said that my account would be closed end Oct 2006 (exact dates ??? as don't have paperwork on me now) but I cleared the overdraft and sent my card/chq book in before the date they said they would close it. I put it in writing that I was closing the account and sent the stuff off before the date they proposed. They said today that they said they were closing the account in October and this is why they have closed it - 2 months later/once I've used the overdraft again.

The last letter was dated 29 December saying I had until 6 Jan to pay the balance.

I have now received 2 letters from them (automatically generated) saying they are closing my account and last letter dated 29 Dec 06 that they have closed the account

It's just that you say you phoned them end Nov re a/c still open, they send you a new card, which you recieved end Nov/ beginning Dec? and within 4 weeks you are £1767 overdrawn. When did they send you these 2 letters? During Dec?

yes, within 4 weeks overdrawn by 1500 as I transferred two large amounts to my other accounts to cover bills. Afraid that's what happens when your partner is out of work for 3 months!

They sent me a letter on 22nd December threatening closure and to pay up and then again on 29th December.

Right, it looks rather like while one department is re-authorising your a/c, another sees large withdrawals and belated takes action. I assume there were no credits during this time.

Can you remember the date you phoned them end Nov. You could send them a DPA SAR for entries on your file since Oct particularly that specific date showing issuing of new card,and ask for a recording of the call

I will definitely do this when writing to them tomorrow.

There were a couple of deposits made, however I moved my pay to a different account so this may be why they've retaliated now.

I'll write to them with all the advise received tomorrow and see how it goes...

Thanks to all once again.

I am thinking ...

If you wanted to close the account then you would have had to pay off any outstanding amount on it. You would have done this when you sent the cheque book and card back.

So, when they issued you a new card and you used this, why did you use the overdraft, or did you decide to keep the account open now?

I assume you would use the money you won from them to clear off any amount remaining on the account and closed it?