• Tweets

• The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hi All,

j.barton1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6047 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Ive just posted my SAR today for an old a & l account. I am hoping they can send me details as its an old account i dont even have the acc number so fingers crossed xx.

Jenny;)

S.A.R 05.01.07 Alliance and Leicester

Mercantile court date 7th Feb 07 Barclays £1.800

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, received my sar and as a total i am claiming 2,168 + interest from a&l in about 7yrs. I know there's going to be issues with the 6yr rule so any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

Jenny

hi, I cant remember when i opened the acc, but i got sent statements to jun 00, 1st charge jul 00. Hopefully A & L wont be as bad as the barclays claim i have just settled, but that was for less than 6yr.

Jenny

Jenny,

A couple of ways to do this. The first is to 'test the water' by phoning them and complaining that they haven't provided all details they hold in respect of this matter. The other is to write back, stating that they are still within the 40 day time limit for SAR's, however they have not provided all information to which you are entitled.

Tell them you will be making a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office if they do not provide this information. If they still insist they do not have it, request the date and method of destruction / removal from their systems / archives.

If it ever posp up in the future you can then refer to any response (or lack of). Also, when you submit your N1 claim, make sure you make reference to the fact that you have requested information, but they have refused or failed to provide it. The Court may then order them to do so under disclosure rules.

See other threads I have posted which will give a thorough SAR.

Tide

Hi I've received a letter from A&L, i assume its a standard response.

"I am sorry if you are dissapionted but as the charges have been raised correctly in line with T&cs they must stand." Blah Blah. "2nd letter here we go.

Jenny

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I've just received Acknowledgement from A&L, still no mention of sec 32......They intend to defend...apparently.

Jenny

Hi Ive received a letter saying that i cannot claim before 01 due to sola, i will reply with this...is it okay?

Jenny

J McGuirk

Re Claim No 7QZ23978

I received your letter dated 5.03.07.

With regards to the limitations act I quote sec 32,

The period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. ....

I was not aware these charges were unlawful till the oft made their statements in April 06, therefore my original claim still stands from 01.07.00, as the six years runs from discovery of the fraud, concealment or mistake.

I enclose another copy of my schedule and interest calculations.

Regards,

Jenny Barton.

I have just had the letter that section 32 (1) doesn't apply in these cases.

Oh yeah they do said I, I sent the fax and telephoned her. she must be really busy as it was engaged for a long time!!!

Anyway, I said that the judge would not be overly impressed about them quibbling over £7.00 (that's how much is out of time on my claim, from the 1st Feb) It's only because they mucked about that it was late)

She said that the judges take the 6 year rule very seriously. Yeah rightho said I we both know you have 14 days to put in the defence so see you in court

I wanted to say... for goodness sake just pay up.......

Thanks CC, I have been waiting for sola to be mentioned by A&L, still worried about it though!! If I left out what they want its about half my claim roughly 1,500, I wonder what'll happen next?

Jenny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Ive received A&Ls defence...i think its the standard

They want me to proove that its a penalty...

Its statute barred....

I cant use sec 32...

I ought to have been aware of the chgs...

Whats my next step? i know its not my "job" to proove its a penalty, its their job to proove it isnt, do i do anything now or wait for the court to contact me? Do i need to provide a reply to their defence?

Thanks in advance

Jenny:|

Although your claim is statute barred, you should be attacking this from a different angle.

You should look at the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977

You should research this act on this forum as I think you will be surprised with your findings ;)

Claims:

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.1) - Claim Issued 16/3/07 Await Defence to be Entered - Data Protection Act Non-Compliance - *WON

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.2) - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges + s.68 Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

bgqs v Halifax - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges +C.I Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

*Paid Deposit on New House with my Winnings !

I have just had the letter that section 32 (1) doesn't apply in these cases.

Oh yeah they do said I, I sent the fax and telephoned her. she must be really busy as it was engaged for a long time!!!

Anyway, I said that the judge would not be overly impressed about them quibbling over £7.00 (that's how much is out of time on my claim, from the 1st Feb) It's only because they mucked about that it was late)

She said that the judges take the 6 year rule very seriously. Yeah rightho said I we both know you have 14 days to put in the defence so see you in court

I wanted to say... for goodness sake just pay up.......

A letter from who? The Limitation Act applies to ALL cases in contract. Check again with the Court, are they currently inundated?

Tide

Yep, tide is is right.......The Limitation Act applies to everything...however, as I posted above, do your research as you should be able to put a different slant on the case and make the judge consider whether the initial contract that was entered into was unjust :)

Claims:

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.1) - Claim Issued 16/3/07 Await Defence to be Entered - Data Protection Act Non-Compliance - *WON

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.2) - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges + s.68 Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

bgqs v Halifax - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges +C.I Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

*Paid Deposit on New House with my Winnings !

Hi All,

Any defence they put in under S5 of the Limitation Act should be counteracted with S32(1)(b) & ©.

32 Postponement of limitation period in case of fraud, concealment or mistake

(1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4A) below, where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either--

(a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or

(b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant;

or

© the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake; the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. References in this subsection to the defendant include references to the defendant’s agent and to any person through whom the defendant claims and his agent.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above, deliberate commission of a breach of duty in circumstances in which it is unlikely to be discovered for some time amounts to deliberate concealment of the facts involved in that breach of duty.

(3) Nothing in this section shall enable any action--

(a) to recover, or recover the value of, any property; or

(b) to enforce any charge against, or set aside any transaction affecting, any property; to be brought against the purchaser of the property or any person claiming through him in any case where the property has been purchased for valuable consideration by an innocent third party since the fraud or concealment or (as the case may be) the transaction in which the mistake was made took place.

(4) A purchaser is an innocent third party for the purposes of this section--

(a) in the case of fraud or concealment of any fact relevant to the plaintiff’s right of action, if he was not a party to the fraud or (as the case may be) to the concealment of that fact and did not at the time of the purchase know or have reason to believe that the fraud or concealment had taken place; and

(b) in the case of mistake, if he did not at the time of the purchase know or have reason to believe that the

mistake had been made.

(4A) Subsection (1) above shall not apply in relation to the time limit prescribed by section 11A(3) of this Act or in relation to that time limit as applied by virtue of section 12(1) of this Act.

(5) Sections 14A and 14B of this Act shall not apply to any action to which subsection (1)(b) above applies (and accordingly the period of limitation referred to in that subsection, in any case to which either of those sections would otherwise apply, is the period applicable under section 2 of this Act).

Your case begins from the date you discovered you had been wronged, which in most cases is 6 years (contract) 12 years (mortgage) from the date you first complained to the bank.

The Banks have deliberately witheld (concealed) information which you could not have been expected to reveal by law as a layman.

Tide

Hi, Ive put this together to respond to A&L's defence letter. Is it okay? I wont be posting till monday so any amending anyone thinks is needed.....

J McGuirk.

I write in response to your letter (LAW/xxxx/JAM/xxxxxx).

The limitation act applies to all cases in contract and is for the judge to decide on the merits of each case.

32 Postponement of limitation period in case of fraud, concealment or mistake

(1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4A) below, where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either--

(a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or

(b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant;

or

© the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake; the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. References in this subsection to the defendant include references to the defendant’s agent and to any person through whom the defendant claims and his agent.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above, deliberate commission of a breach of duty in circumstances in which it is unlikely to be discovered for some time amounts to deliberate concealment of the facts involved in that breach of duty.

(3) Nothing in this section shall enable any action--

(a) to recover, or recover the value of, any property; or

(b) to enforce any charge against, or set aside any transaction affecting, any property; to be brought against the purchaser of the property or any person claiming through him in any case where the property has been purchased for valuable consideration by an innocent third party since the fraud or concealment or (as the case may be) the transaction in which the mistake was made took place.

(4) A purchaser is an innocent third party for the purposes of this section--

(a) in the case of fraud or concealment of any fact relevant to the plaintiff’s right of action, if he was not a party to the fraud or (as the case may be) to the concealment of that fact and did not at the time of the purchase know or have reason to believe that the fraud or concealment had taken place; and

(b) in the case of mistake, if he did not at the time of the purchase know or have reason to believe that the

mistake had been made.

(4A) Subsection (1) above shall not apply in relation to the time limit prescribed by section 11A(3) of this Act or in relation to that time limit as applied by virtue of section 12(1) of this Act.

(5) Sections 14A and 14B of this Act shall not apply to any action to which subsection (1)(b) above applies (and accordingly the period of limitation referred to in that subsection, in any case to which either of those sections would otherwise apply, is the period applicable under section 2 of this Act).

The statute begins from the date of discovery. I didn’t know the charges were unlawful till the OFT announcement in April 06 which is when I discovered I had been wronged.

I also ask the defendant to disclose the full nature of its charges and prove that it is not a penalty.

Regards

Jenny Barton

01132xxxxxx

07900xxxxxx

Jenny,

This may help.

Dear Mr McGuirk.

Thank you for your letter of the XXXXX.

With reference to the charges made to my account, I would be grateful if you would request from the Defendants a full breakdown to include any work or actions carried out by them, and any costs incurred which resulted in their having to make such charges to my account.

Where they are reluctant or unable to provide this information, please request details of the charging rate they referenced when they applied these charges.

I do not believe that the charges made to my account represent a true reflection of the actual costs incurred by the Defendants and therefore represent unlawful penalties, which are irrecoverable at Common Law. I would request the repayment of all charges made plus interest at the statutory rate of 8% from the time the charges were made.

I refer you to S32(1)(b) and © of the Limitation Act 1980.

S32(1)(b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant;

or

On April 6th 2006, the Office of Fair Trading made a statement outlining what they considered was the maximum amount of costs incurred by the Banks when making such charges.

As a result of media coverage given to several actions made for the recovery of what are now regarded as penalties, I discovered that I had been wronged. The Limitation period therefore runs for six years from the date of discovery, which was after the statement made by the Office of Fair Trading.

The Defendants have failed or refused to provide information requested of them, and I would be grateful if this information could now be requested under disclosure rules.

Yours sincerely

Jenny on the block

Jenny, it's a bit late for you to be going for contractual interest, but you should at least apply for statutory interest. The Court forms tell you how to work this out, or there may be a template in the Library (spreadsheet).

Tide

Thanks Tideturner, I had asked for 8% on MCOL and the other letters. A nice interest amount for 6+ yrs.

jenny

Hi All,

I have received my AQ today from my local court, N149 very easy to fill in. Ive sent it to court with my £100, and a updated schedule to a&l with all costs. Anyone else received theirs?

Jenny

Hi All. I have received a cq from a&l today for half the amount, what do i do with it? Obviously i'll hold out for the full amount but do i keep the cq and send a letter accepting it as part payment but want the full amount or send the cq back with a letter wanting full settlement?

any help please!!!!

jenny

Hi I have got this ready to send...is it okay???

J McGuirk,

Thank you for your letter dated 20.03.07. I respectfully decline your offer of £1,760.76 as settlement of my claim and have included the cheque you supplied for that offer.

My claim is for £3,444.50 as outlined in my previous letters…

£2,168.00 charges

£120.00 court fee

£1,056.50 interest @ 8%

£100.00 Allocation Questionnaire fee.

This claim will continue until payment is made in full.

Alternatively if you want to return the cheque with the balance of £1,683.74 to total settlement of £3,444.50 then I will inform the court that the claim is settled.

With regards to your letter “As it is clear you do not accept the t&c’s for the operation of your account we will shortly be contacting you to discuss its future operations” As you should be aware I have had this account closed for many years so this does not apply to me, but I do not agree with the retaliation of Alliance & Leicester by making this statement and will forward my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.