Unexplained Bank Charges??

taylorit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This might seem odd but I have been having cheques and direct debits being returned unpaid yet CLEARED FUNDS are in the account to cover the amount and this has happened on 3 occassions since November 2006.

I have also received Bank charges and one of the charge relates to nothing, me thinks they thought they just give me a charge for no reason.

I have had £57.00 refunded so far. After requesting to speak to a senior person by phone the reply is they will phone you back and never do or receive the responsse to busy please write in.

Now is enough, I have contact BBC Watchdog today too. I Currently have £2,000+ in my account yet NatWest tell me insufficent funds for £36.00 direct debits.

Matt

Guest NATTIE

Can you explain more? Was a cheque paid into the account the previous week to cover Direct Debits? The odd charges you mention of £57 can you state what the amounts say on the statement? I need more info before being able to comment further. Was money paid in on the same days to cover Direct Debits? Were they returned by the bank or has the DD provider written to you to say they were not paid?

I'll come back to this one later on today.

10th Nov 2006 was last inward payment to my account by BACS was wages :)

On 28th Nov 2006 was 2 transactions, both were payments(expense) by cheque £248.00 and £58.00 was £337.33 of CLEARED FUNDS in the account.

Cheque for £248.00 was returned unpaid, £58.00 cheque paid.

29th November am over-refunded of the £38.00 charge.

1st November charged another £38.00 charge after funds were not in the account after I had arranged alternative payment to the payee and informed the NatWest not to honour the cheque.

29 Dec 2006 a bank charge, no idea what for :s

2nd Jan 2007 received another charge for £38.00 for a unpaid Direct debit of £36.00 yet is cleared funds in the account of £77.13

Below is a copy part of online statements "cut & pasted", account balance is before each transaction took place.

Account Balance: £337.33

28 Nov 2006 CHG UNPAID ITEM(S) , CHQ 248.00, SERIAL NO 000001 - 38.00

Account Balance: £241.33

29 Nov 2006 REFUND DD/SO UNPAID FEE - 19.00

29 Nov 2006 REFUND DD/SO UNPAID FEE - 38.00

Account Balance: £148.33

1 Dec 2006 CHG UNPAID ITEM(S) , CHQ 248.00, SERIAL NO 000001 - 38.00

Account Balance: £55.11

29 Dec 2006 CHG 01DEC A/C 345****9 - 28.00

Account Balance: £77.13

2 Jan 2007 CHG UNPAID ITEM(S) , D/D 36.00, BT DIRECT DEBITS - 38.00

Guest NATTIE

Sorry that does seem odd the first bit because it has been bounced but then the charges refunded. I would ask for an explanation from natwest as to why that happened. As for the second one another explanation as well is in order. £28 is unarranged borrowing but if the other two charges were refunded I have a feeling that one may need to be refunded as well if it was part and parcel of the same transaction.

Ya but no point was I ever overdrawn I writing to them anyhow as they refunded the first bank charge TWICE!

NatWest worst bank ever surely! They will not give me overdraft facility yet I got credit cards and that all £0 balance and overdraft facility on other accounts not used.

Matt

In Sunny Newbury!!

Guest NATTIE

Matt- surely you cannot want me to agree with you?:D

Matt also if a cheque was clearing you can be overdrawn on cleared funds but we need an explanation.

agree me with me if you wish.

Na funds of £2600+ in the account went in 2 weeks before and I defo not spent that much!

Anyhow Yesterday NatWest helped themselves again and failed TWO direct debits yet cleared funds in the account.

Today have lodged a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman who are now investigating.

Since November have sent TWO letters both got no reply, telephoned and was told cannot deal with this nature of complaint over the telephone, informed them no reply to letters she could not give me an answer. Go into the branch - cant see Bank Manager unless you got an appointment (probably because im complaining).

Moderated ... potentially libelous comments removed .

Please do not post comments on this site that may be seen as libelous

I am sorry but the last comment has to be moderated. The FSO will not look into the complaint unless it has first gone through the NatWest complaints Procedures. I would contact Customer Relations Unit either via a freephone number or via email or freepost, without knowing the account details(which I am not expecting you to provide me with as I will not look into for you) it is difficult for me to work out what has happened.

FSO is already looking into it as I have not had 1 response to the previous two letters, have posted a third letter on Friday with duplicates of the first two.

They had more than 8 weeks to respond its now 10 weeks since the first letter.

Just a joke whole bank is laughable. Requested an over draft facility - NO you do not hold enough accounts with NatWest :S bit of a wierd reason why.

Wonder if they would resolve the complaint if i issued consumer action group stickers n flyers outside the local branch for a week LOL

I think I will leave this thread alone now taylorit because while I am on here to help I do sometimes feel that me posting on a thread does not serve a helpful purpose. I still believe in the NatWest brand and its people which some may find surprising. I do wish you luck and I hope that the FSO will be able to get a response from what is clearly something that should not take a genius to work out with the account in front of them and should have been dealt with better than it has done.

• 2 weeks later...