BankFodder BankFodder

sharmal

Have To Pay

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4839 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My car was working fine. Using a little more diesel than normal, then suddenly black clouds ere coming out making other drivers hold way back, presumerbly they thought like I did the car was going to break down.

Took it to garage who have fixed all my cars (2) excellently and they decided that the filters needed changing and the brake discs and the brake pads. GREAT.

Got bill just under £400.00. £130 for hours spent fixing car. £200 for Discs and Brakes on front of car ( have got MG ZR) and £100 for changing filters.

They said that if it was still gutting out black smoke (loads of it)which it was it was going to cost me at least £500 because it wuld be the something to do with the turbo.

Took the car to my sons friend who is a garage mechanic, has his own business and he said it was the turbo pipe that had split, fixed the pipe no more smoke, no more wasted fuel, goeds like a dream. I am loathe to pay the garage just under £40 for a problem that is apparently something a junior mechanic would have noticed. Any suggestions as to what to do.

The car was at the first garage for about four hours and the second garage for two days.

Well was the discs and pads needing replaced to solve the problem, that is the question and quite obviously they were not and i aint a mechanic, however did you agree to them being renewed as they i would have hoped advised you on a different matter to what your complaint was, surely they didnt say it would solve the smoke issue?

Was the work that was carried out necessary anyway, as in this case you have still benefitted from the work which would have required attention regardless.

I assume you don't have the old parts, so it will be quite hard to tell whether this is the case.

For a start, though, it would seem to me that brake discs and pads are a different issue because surely they wouldn't cause the black smoke from the exhaust? I'm really not a mechanic though so am happy to be proved wrong, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

I would imagine that the first garage did a visual healthcheck or just had a quick look over the car whilst it was on the ramp and noticed the brakes may have appearred low and advised as necessary, which is exactly what happens at the garage I work at, every car has a visual health check. But really they should have investiagted the initial concern (excessive smoke) first and given you a definate answer to the cause, not guess at changing the filters and fob you off if that doesn't fix the problem.

Which filters did they change, as it is really only the air filter that would cause black smoke if it was blocked.

Really £230 to investigate the problem and replace a few filters seems pretty expensive, especially as it didn't cure the problem. It would be helpful if you had a receipt with a breakdwon of the work carried out and their costs before making assumptions.

Go ask them for a refund!

Seems disks and pads are a good earner these days. Our local vauxhall dealer told my wife her car needs new disks and pads on the front, I said no saying: we will look at them first. 18 months later the car goes back to them for a service they never mentioned that the car needs new disks and pads..At each service they call with a list of faults all amounting to approx £200.

And this was in Hull the dirty ********'s

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast