• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Son of Steven4064 vs NatWest ***WON***

steven4064
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with impatience........... that's a feeling I'm too aware of!!! Get your 'to do' list written up........... gives you something to look forward to!!! xxx :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Received Cobblers defence this morning. Usual nonsense. On allocation, they want the court to direct there be a case management conference to give us the opportunity to "properly particularise the claim" - cheek!!

Anyway, letter off to Cobbetts later today (cc Court) with a copy of the scehdelue since "it is clear they have not been adequately briefed by their client" (OK , I KNOW I am supposed to be patient, etc, etc but I am allowing myself this one dig).

Letter to court (cc Cobbetts) acknowledging receipt of defence and

"Since Nat West have not defended any of now many hundreds of such cases, we believe they have no intention of defending this case. The request for a case management conference to give me 'the oprotuinity to properly particularise the claim' is an attempt to intimidate me and to delay. I therefore respectfully ask that this request be struck out as an abuse of process"

What do you think?

Steven

Think you're a star!!! :D

And there's nothing wrong in getting a little dig in either.......... it's not as though they don't get plenty of digs in right back at us!!!

Get your letter sent - cheque's not too far off from the sounds though!! xxx :p

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Actrually I'm thinking of changing the last bit of the letter to the court:

Replace: "I therefore respectfully ask that this request be struck out as an abuse of process"

With: "I therefore respectfully suggest that, on allocation, this request and possibly the whole defence be struck out as an abuse of process"

What does anyone think?

Also I have now had time to read the defence which seems to rest completly on s15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, which clause is concerned with the reasonableness of consideration, ie the reasonableness of the charges. They have completely ignored the LAWFULNESS question.

Also, presumably, to prove reasonableness don't they have to divulge their costs. Otehrwise there is the possibilty of "undue enrichment". Do these people actually KNOW what they are doing?

I have also amended the letter to Cobbetts:

"Thank you for your letter of 11 May enclosing the Defendant’s Defence. I notice that you do not believe my Particulars of Claim to be properly particularised, a circumstance that I can only surmise has come about because of inadequate briefing by your client. I therefore attach for your information a copy of the schedule of charges that accompany my claim. I believe the basis of my claim is adequately covered in my Particulars of Claim. "

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

I think you have to play the patience game steven. The majority of the courts in the country are now realising that the banks are wasting court time. Alot of the directions from the courts are heavily weighed in favour of the claimants. My own claim is one. They have left the bank between a rock and a hard place with their directions. I also have a limitation argument, but the court has left the bank in a very awkward position with the clock ticking away. So i would tend not to try and push the courts and let it run its course.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Thanks Parkvale. I have been following your thread with interest (no pun intended!).

I will take your advice and not push the court except for using the new AQ strategy. (My court told me they are still issuing AQs BTW)

I'm still going to send my tongue-in-cheek letter to Cobbetts though.

Steven

I sent the new AQ strategy. The judge ignored it and put his own directions forward. Which were very good, but i waited 11 weeks for them. So you can't rush a good thing. ;) By all means have a swipe at Cobblers and recipricate. In my own claim i am half expecting them to send me the cheque back for the second time.

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Having given my word to Parkvale that wewouldn't push the court, we decided that we would push Nat West. We habe added to the letter a few posts back because Cobblers spent most of thier letter to us waffling about the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

Revised version:

Dear Cobbetts,

Re SoS4064 - v Nasty West

Thank you for your letter of 11 May enclosing the Defendant’s Defence. I notice that you do not believe my Particulars of Claim to be properly particularised, a circumstance that I can only surmise has come about because of inadequate briefing by your client. I therefore attach for your information a copy of the schedule of charges that accompany my claim. I believe the basis of my claim is adequately particularised in my PoC.

With reference to s15 of the SGSA 1982, the facts that determine the difference between a reasonable charge and undue enrichment are exactly the same as those that determine whether a charge for breach of contract is lawful, namely the actual cost to National Westminster Bank arising from any activities by them that resulted in charges to my account. Despite several requests for them to do so, National Westminster Bank have not supplied me with any breakdown of such costs.

At allocation, therefore, I shall be asking the court for an order requiring National Westminster Bank to disclose the breakdown of their costs so that the regime of charges applied to my account can be tested against the common law on penalties and liquidated damages in contracts, the legislation quoted in my PoC and the SGSA 1982.

Yours faithfully

SoS4064

What do you think?

Steven

Steven looks good to me. Keeping the pressure on Cobblers is deffo the right stratergy. The courts are swamped and pushing them to much will possibly delay their process. Cobblers on the other hand will be wanting to shift cases forward, because if they start losing control it will him them in their pockets. Good luck.

Final version sent yesyerday:

Cobbetts

Dear Sirs,

SoS4064 -v- National Westminster Bank plc

Claim Number: xxxxxxx

Thank you for your letter of 11 May enclosing the Defendant’s Defence. I notice that you have submitted a standard defence without taking notice of my specific PoC, since the items you say I need to identify are quite clearly identified therein.

With reference to s15 of the SGSA 1982, the facts that determine the difference between a reasonable charge and undue enrichment are exactly the same as those that determine whether a charge levied for breach of contract is lawful, namely the actual cost to National Westminster Bank arising from any activities by them that resulted in charges to my account. National Westminster Bank has not supplied me with any breakdown of such costs despite my requests on date1 and date2 for them to do so.

At allocation, therefore, I shall be inviting the court to make an order requiring National Westminster Bank to disclose the breakdown of their costs so that the regime of charges applied to my account can be tested against the common law on penalties and liquidated damages in contracts, the legislation cited in my PoC and the SGSA 1982, as appropriate.

Yours faithfully,

SoS4064

Steven

Thats the way steven. Pile the pressure on Cobblers. I can see the cheque writing clerk getting their pen out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Thats the way steven. Pile the pressure on Cobblers.

Stevepm has had this

absolutely brilliant idea

that we should send Cobbetts a CPR Part 18 request. I am just about to send them one today and we didn't even get one from them, just the nonesense reproduced above. THis is what i am sending them (and handing in to court today along with the AQ for our GE Money case)

IN THE TOYTOWN COUNTY COURT CLAIM NO. XXXXXX

BETWEEN:

SonofSteven4064 Claimant

-and –

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK PLC Defendant

REQUEST FOR FURTHER INFORMATION UNDER CPR PART 18

DATE OF REQUEST: 30 May 2007

1. The attached schedule lists the charges that the Claimant is claiming from National Westminster Bank plc.

2. Please provide the following information:

2.1 Pursuant to what contractual provision each charge in the schedule was made, producing a copy of the contractual document(s) relied upon;

2.2 Whether such charges are accepted to be a penalty, and if not why not;

2.3 If such charges are alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is treated as a breach of contract between the parties), all facts and matters showing that such was a proper estimate of such loss;

2.4 If such charges are not alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions then facts and matters showing the basis upon which the charge was calculated and all evidence to show that the charge was fair and reasonable.

3. Please supply the above information by 15 June 2007

What do you think?

Find a post from Stevepm somewhere and click his scales

Steven

Now that could be one hell of an idea,

that would cause havoc with the banks I think, it will be great to know what other more learned members think of that, that might be the big gun we are all looking for....woaah..it would be nice to say to the Banks "look what we have got" .....our CPR is bigger than yours:D:D ;)

sparkie

Now that could be one hell of an idea,

that would cause havoc with the banks I think, it will be great to know what other more learned members think of that, that might be the big gun we are all looking for....woaah..it would be nice to say to the Banks "look what we have got" .....our CPR is bigger than yours:D:D ;)

sparkie

Yes

RESPECT TO STEVEPM

Steven

Brilliant - right back atcha' cobblers!!!

Just a thought - but can we get this to Bankfodder as well???? Strikes me that this is an opportunity for all - regardless of who we're claiming against!! :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Brilliant - right back atcha' cobblers!!!

Just a thought - but can we get this to Bankfodder as well???? Strikes me that this is an opportunity for all - regardless of who we're claiming against!! :D

But it is particularly sweet using it against Cobblers - I haven't seen solicitors for other banks using it on small track claims the way Cobbetts do.

I think we ought to wait and see what Cobbetts do. Hopefully, they will throw the towel in!

Steven

I think we ought to wait and see what Cobbetts do. Hopefully, they will throw the towel in! Steven

.............. and hopefully a lot earlier than they have been doing!!! :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

The part 18 provisions simply allow requests for information and clarification. Part 18 requests are strictly confined to matters necessary to prepare your case or help you clarify or understand the case you have to meet. It does not stretch to disclosure, which is what the above is - a disclosure order. Cobbetts would simply backheel it and unfortunately the court would be highly unlikely to order it on application.

Even if it was acceptable within the part 18 provisions then we should not be issueing part 18's in SCT claims IMHO - it would make us as bad as them. Part 18 does not apply to small claims.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

In their defence they have asked me to expand on various statements in my PoC which I can only do if I have this information. For example, a large part of their defence concerns s15 of the SGSA 1982. They ask me what I consider reasonable, a question I can only answer if I have the information I have requested in my CPR 18 request. s 15 says "What is a reasonable charge is a question of fact"

A lot of the charges on my statements jsut said 'charges' because they were the sum of penalties and Advantage Gold charges. I want them to clarify which contractual provision gave rise to each.

The claim has not yet been allocated to a track (although I have to admit it will probably be allocated to the SCT)

Steven

I agree with you steven.

You have merely asked for further information and clarification your request does not even border disclosure, it is a request, the only thing I would add is that you just make it a request without mentioning CPR18 it is only if Cobbetts or Bank fail to give you that further info do you then mention to them the CPR 18 if they still do not give the info you apply apply for an order under CPR18for them to supply that infomation you would not be asking the court for a disclosure order.

I have just been all through this with Cobbetts and the RBOS in a High Court multi track case, that I handled myself it ended 50/50 I won but lost my claim for loss.

This is only my view I am not a legally trained person and I could be wrong and most probably be proved to be so, but everyone to their view.

sparkie

I'm not legally trained either, I just read Part 18:

18.1 (1) The court may at any time order a party to –

(a) clarify any matter which is in dispute in the proceedings; or

(b) give additional information in relation to any such matter,

whether or not the matter is contained or referred to in a statement of case

and thought that I could get the additional information I need to answer Cobbetts questions in their defence. I am aware that Part 18 does not apply on the Small Claims Track (CPR 27)

27.2 (1) The following Parts of these Rules do not apply to small claims –

(f) Subject to paragraph (3), Part 18 (further information);

(3) The court of its own initiative may order a party to provide further information if it considers it appropriate to do so

but my claim has not yet been allocated to any track.

As a lay person it seems completely reasonable for me to put in a part 18 request for the additional information I need.

In stevepm's case the court "of its own initiative...." has ordered him to respond to Cobbetts part 18 request. Again it seems very reasonable...

Steven

hi

i believe that if your claim is under £5k it will be dealt with in the small claims court and the cpr18 request is not required by either party unless directed by the judge..............

if the claim is for more than £5k the judge can allocate fast track or multi-track in either of there 2 scenarios either party can request a cpr18 but only the judge can direct either party to complete the cpr18.......you can respectfully request the judge to tell the defendant (banks solicitors) to complete the cpr18.........

If the judge orders the defendant to complete the cpr 18 you will be home & dry as u will ask 4 disclosure of costs which they will not supply therefore they will pay out..........

As a thought as cobbletts send out a cpr18 u could write to the judge saying u will complete the request to speed up the court process and save court time as the defendant always settle before the court date in all previous cases................as such could i respectfully ask the judge to ask cobbetts to complete a cpr 18 request to save court time if cobbetts refuse ask for the defence to be struck out

Scott

My last post wasn't intended as a critisism.:)

What you are asking for in that request is an abbreviated form of disclosure - its the same as the draft directions order. To my interpretation this is not the intent of part 18. Part 18 is solely meant to provide means of clarifying matters referred to in the claim or defence.

The practice directive to part 18 (below) is more relevant than the rule, the rule as posted above concerns orders of the courts own initiative;

1.1 Before making an application to the court for an order under Part 18, the party seeking clarification or information (the first party) should first serve on the party from whom it is sought (the second party) a written request for that clarification or information (a Request) stating a date by which the response to the Request should be served. The date must allow the second party a reasonable time to respond.

1.2 A Request should be concise and strictly confined to matters which are reasonably necessary and proportionate to enable the first party to prepare his own case or to understand the case he has to meet.

1.3 Requests must be made as far as possible in a single comprehensive document and not piecemeal.

1.4 A Request may be made by letter if the text of the Request is brief and the reply is likely to be brief; otherwise the Request should be made in a separate document.

1.5 If a Request is made in a letter, the letter should, in order to distinguish it from any other that might routinely be written in the course of a case,

(1)state that it contains a Request made under Part 18, and

(2)deal with no matters other than the Request.

1.6 (1)A Request (whether made by letter or in a separate document) must –

(a)be headed with the name of the court and the title and number of the claim,

(b)in its heading state that it is a Request made under Part 18, identify the first party and the second party and state the date on which it is made,

©set out in a separate numbered paragraph each request for information or clarification,

(d)where a Request relates to a document, identify that document and (if relevant) the paragraph or words to which it relates,

(e)state the date by which the first party expects a response to the Request.

(2)(a)A Request which is not in the form of a letter may, if convenient, be prepared in such a way that the response may be given on the same document.

(b)To do this the numbered paragraphs of the Request should appear on the left hand half of each sheet so that the paragraphs of the response may then appear on the right.

©Where a Request is prepared in this form an extra copy should be served for the use of the second party.

1.7 Subject to the provisions of paragraphs 3.1 to 3.3 of the Practice Direction to Part 6, a request should be served by e-mail if reasonably practicable.

Obviously if you have a good argument that the request you propose is relevant to clarify matters raised in the defence then thats for you to argue in your N244 part C statement when it comes to applying for the order.

All I'm saying is that it is virtually inconceivable that Cobbetts will comply with the preliminary request, not least becouse they have at least 2 perfectly valid reasons not to. The notion that they are suddenly going to disclose on the back of a part 18 is fanciful to say the least. They'll just backheel it.

If you can satisfy the court that the request is relevant within the provisions of part 18 then you may get it ordered on application, but given your likely to be allocated to the SCT its still unlikely IMHO.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

i believe that if your claim is under £5k it will be dealt with in the small claims court

Normally, yes but not necessarily. Leaflet EX307 gives 3 tests for a claim to be allocated to the small claims track:

1) the amount should not be more than £5000 (although some cases > £5000 can be allocate to the SCT)

2) It will usually involve consumer claims, accident claims, etc

3) The amount and type of preparation needed to be able to deal with the case justly - it adds that the claim should require only minimal preparation for the final hearing, it will not normally involve a lot of witnesses or difficult points of law.

So, for example, a case 6 years old based on s 32 of the LA 1980 might be considered to be outwith this conditin and allocated to the Fast Track. Maybe other considerations might incline to DJ to allocate a claim to the FT even if

Steven