Bank and collections

Stockpot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I recently sold my house to pay off a bank loan and 2 bank accounts, all with the same bank. We had a bad patch a couple of years ago and used a debt consolidation company to keep up regular payments. I have had some problems with the bank since. Because the loan and account were in arreas the bank had passed our details to thier collections company. At first we contacted the collections company and payed off the loan over the telephone... or so we thought. A couple of days later we went to the branch to close the 2 other accounts and pay the charges etc. The branch looked into the accounts and told us we need to deal with the collections company and gave us the number to phone. I phoned the collections people there and then. They told me that te loan was also unpaid and that the debit card had been rejected by the security system. I was then asked by the collection department to go back to the branch. I gave the phone to the young lady I had spoken to in the branch earlier. She talked with the collections department and then dissapeared to return with payment slips. We filled out the payment slips with ref no.s and amounts owing and issued 2 cheques, 1 for the loan and the other combination of the 2 bank accounts.

This morning I recieved the nastly letter from collections asking me to get in touch with them, which I did. They havent recieved any payment. I checked my current bankers statement and both cheques were cleared and payed. I told collections this. They told me that it is my responsibility to track this money down.

Thats where I am at the moment. Can anyone give me an idea of what to do next?? Can I complain to the bank in question??:mad:

Guest NATTIE

I think I'll take this one guys. Was it cheque or cash? If cheque then get the bank where the cheque is on to give you a copy of the front and back and send a copy, keep one yourself to the collection company concerned. If it was Cash then get the branch to do a trace on the money because collections say they have not received it.

I just spotted it was cheques so copy front and back of both and send them a copy of it. Keep one copy yourself

Send your statements to the them, highlighting the payments and advise them that you have paid in full and that the funds were cleared in order to pay off the arrears. If need be, get copies of the cheques as it will be nearly impossible to dispute payment if a cheque is made out to them, and the same cheque has cleared from your account.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Wow that was quick

Yes we paid them with 2 cheques. We do have the tabs from the paying in slips. When you say get a copy of the cheques from the bank. Do you mean the bank we have paid off or our current bank? The problem I am having with this is the coleection company are telling me that this is my problem not the banks. is this true

Thankyou very much for your advice:smile:

Guest NATTIE

You wrote two cheques for the amounts. Copies of those cheques front and back(the back has encoding on it that should prove they have the funds) and keep a copy and send it to them. If the collection company say it is not the banks problem then the two copies should be sufficient, If not then i will advise what else can be done.

You will need to get the copies from the bank which cleared the funds i.e. the one which holds your current account. As Natwest says above, the front and back will be important in tracing the payments through the system.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

And never send them a Statement - this is your private data and noe of their business. You are at liberty to help the firm find what happened to their money, and with copies of the cancelled cheques, you can do this and it will be taken as evidence of payment should the matter ever come to court.