BankFodder BankFodder

weaver440

R U Paying too much council Tax?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4890 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Thought this may be of interest. I did a check on my property using the links below and I am paying the correct amount, however it did show that 2 properties in our row of terraced houses are banded as C and not B like the rest of us? I have told my neighbours and advised them to get it checked out. On Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert some are saying that they are getting back payments as far back as 1993 for overpayment of council Tax!

First, check your neighbour's Council Tax band

The obvious step is to compare your property's banding with neighbours in similar properties either by asking them, or more salaciously by looking, for free, on the web.

Then check house price values for free

A second method is even more revealing, go to nethouseprices.com, which gives a free search of the prices of all houses sold in your street since 2000. This should help give a reasonable idea of your property's current value.

Now use that to roughly estimate their 1991 house price

The nationwide.co.uk/hpi house price calculator enables you to work out what your property would have been worth in 1991 when the bandings were set. So, you can estimate what banding you should be in.

At 1991 prices the bandings are:

Band A: All properties under £40,000

Band B: £40,000 - £52,000

Band C: £52,001 - £68,000

Band D: £68,001 - £88,000

Band E: £88,001 - £120,000

Band F: £120,001 - £160,000

Band G: £160,001 - £320,000

• Haha 1