• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Geek vs Loyds TSB

Geek
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Just my humble account of my attempts to reclaim the charges against my account!

I started it all with my first letter on the 2nd December 2006. This was requesting just under £1400 in charges.

The bank responded with a letter stating that they were sorry I was unhappy, but that they did not believe that the charges were unlawful. They stated that they were not willing to repay any of these charges back.

My second letter was sent on the 13th December (just after receiving their letter). In this letter I stated that I was disappointed with them, but that I was going to start court proceedings within 14 days. I stated that I was going to claim statutory interest in court, but that I would allow 14 days for Without prejudice settlement in full of all charges (without interest).

I filed a claim on the moneyclaim.gov.uk site last night (2nd January 2007)... :)

Today (3rd Jan 2007) I received Lloyds' "Final Response". This was a statement that they accept no liability, that it was all my fault, that I was being unreasonable etc. etc. Bottom line was that they do not usually adjust charges, but that they are prepared in this instance to reduce the charges by repaying £750 to my account as a gesture of goodwill.

They (again) stated that they do not consider that they have any legal obligation to do so.

Further to this...

I have checked my account and they have already paid this money into my account. What position does this put me in?

Should I just leave this money in the account untouched? (The account is not used now).

Should I send them a letter to state that I do not accept this as a full settlement? Or should I just leave it as it has already been filed with the court system?

I certainly do not wish to accept this now - particularly after paying £120.00 in court fees to file my claim!

Any advice welcome!

I am close to the same timeline as you. I received that kind of letter and sum just before Christmas. It seems to be their new thing.

It is not couched as an offer therefore not capable of acceptance in full and final settlement. Some people have taken the view that it is necessary to reject the 'offer' formally and say that your will be continuing with your claim, but will take the sum as part payment, but I do not think this is necessary.

To be on the safe side you can just write to them thanking them for the sum and saying that you will take it in partial settlement of your claim and you are continuing to pursue the balance under in x county court under claim reference xxx.

Just carry on with your claim regardless, donate some of the money to CAG and spend the rest.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have just received the letter from the Courts to inform me that Lloyds intend to defend my claim.

They have returned the Acknowledgment of Service form, which appears to mean that they get a further 14 days (to a total of 28 ), on top of the initial 14 days.

Need to work out what (if anything) I need to do now...

You do not have to do anything for now, all is progressing normally.

Next stage is completion of Allocation Questionnaire, the courts will forward this to you with the defence in a few weeks. In the meantime you would be wise to read here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/11644-allocation-questionnaires-guide-completion.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionaires-8.html#post481560

The new strategy should help speed up settlement.

No need for court bundle yet, one step at a time. Keep going through the FAQs, it all sinks in eventually. It helps to read other successful threads to place the FAQs in context.

Recently, I have seen a claim settle just after AQ as the new strategy was adopted. There is a possibility that by the time you get around to court that Lloyds' strategy will have changed.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just want to say a big THANK YOU! to all at CAG for this site and all the advice within...

I have today received a letter (the day my CAQ should be in), from Sechiari, Clark and Mitchell (representitives of Lloyds TSB). This is below:

Address, references etc omitted ...
:)

We refer to the above matter and can confirm that our Client will be settling the above claim by crediting your Bank Account within the next three working days [it is already in there - I checked]. You are advised at this stage that by our Client metting your Claim on this occasion, this is not to be treated in any way as an admission of liability. This is merely an attempt to resolve the matter amicably between the parties concerned. [How very reasonable of them!]

We therefore trust you shall write to the Court to confirm that the claim has been settled once the funds have been received and provide this office with a copy of the letter for our Client's records.

Yours faithfully

Sechiari, Clark & Mitchell.

On checking my account, they have paid all of my fees (and statutory interest) that I was claiming, plus all of the court fees (£120 for initial fees and £100 for the CAQ).

Thanks again for all the advice on this site - and for the advice given directly to me! I certainly intend to try and repay this by paying some of my winnings to the CAG...

And remember everyone... Just hold tight!

Geek.

Thanks Guido.

I was going to look into that today...

I did 3, 5 and 6 last night (6 particulary being the reason I had not searched all that hard for instructions on closing the thread)!

I paid the entire amount (after my donation to the site) to pay off other debts already - so start today considerably less weighed down... :)

Thanks again for all the advice!