A New Low.... Please read

steve5080
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Why do they sometimes allow a payment taking an account into OD and refuse at other times? The event that took here in OD was a switch transaction in the supermarket yet in the past she has been refused in the same supermarket

Creation Financial Services--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Statements received 28 Oct

PAR sent 30 Oct for £910 Credited £282 as Good will Offer

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

N1 filled out, but they phoned and settelled in full 19 Jan:D

GE Capital--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Capital One---S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Great Universal(Littlewoods Shop Direct--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

PAR sent 19 Jan

Nat West--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 26 Oct

Received 27 Oct

Acknowledgement received 28 Oct

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm I right in thinking that she could have been in OD for 3 weeks within 1 statement period with just one charge, but go 2 days across a statement date and you get charged twice

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

Great Universal(Littlewoods Shop Direct--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

I would say that don't seem fair, but I've been here long enough to know that "fairness" and "bank" do not belong in the sentance

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

A thought here, If they charge once for a 3 weeks OD within a statement period but twice for a 2 day period across a statement date, how can this repressent a service, if it were then they have charged twice for the same sevice. A bit like charging £28 pounds for parking for 3 weeks in one month but then charging £56 for two days the next time because one day was the 30 Nov and the next was 1 Dec

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

the charging periods are set out in any charges leaflet and are pre advised as well. I do understand where you are coming from on this one.

On the 3.30 point, I was told by a then member of staff at a bank (NatWest I think) that this was originally the closing time of all branches which does ring a vague bell with me. The finishing time of the staff was whatever time they took to process anything received up to closing time. Once the hours of opening were extended, the same 3.30 time was retained and anything received in the branch after that time was treated as received the next day.

However I have no idea how true it is!

Yes Joneshousehold, I was awear of that and that was my point. They have chosen to take advantage of advances in working practices and computerisation where it suits them, but continued old practices where it suits their pockets to do so.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

Steve- am sure if you look at all the branches of natwest you will find a number of branches that still close at 330pm Monday to Friday, although I agree with the point about the wording which should say providing cash is paid into the branch by the time the branch closes on the previous working day or words to that effect.

Yes, I do understand that the branch may well close at 3:30 but unlike the old days surely ones accounts no longer exist only on a card within ones own branch. As you said yourself, these are automated proccess and the computers & call centres work around the clock. There is no reason that any debit or credit could not be applied instantly if the banks had the will to do so. The fact that they insist on the "branch opennig hours" thing is because it suits their pocket to do so.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

I am commenting on the T&C's on whether a bank will bounce an item not on the system as a whole. I am trying to rationalise the rule that they have as it stands now. I agree that we are in the modern age but I am aware of branches within NatWest that do not even have the facility to pay cash in and it show immediately in the account because they have no teller machines so real time banking is denied to some. I am not sure whether it is insisted upon but that part of the T&C's haven't changed for years.

Thanks NWSM, I appreciate that this site is not here to suggest how the banks should run their business, but to help us get our money back. It's just a pity the banks don't seem to realise that it is our money and their charges are putting a lot of people in real hardship. In my case I had no idea how my wife was getting through so much money every month. It very nearly led to the breakdown of our 30 year marrage. She would not talk to about her finance's because she felt stupid and ashamed at having got it in such a mess. While she had clearly made some mistakes, the bank simply made things worse. People used to trust in, and rely on, the banks to advice them with their finances.As I said, this is proberbly not the right place for such a discusion

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Below is the letter I have writen for my daughter to take into the branch tomorrow, It may seem harsh, but then so is a £38 penalty:-

On Saturday 30 December 2006 I transferred funds on-line, from my E-saver account to the above account, to meet a standing order which was due on 2 January 2007. I understand now that because the funds were not in the account by 3:30pm on the 29 December 2006, the standing order was declined and I have been charged a penalty of £38.00. I have held a bank account with you since the age of 13, I am a third year university student and this is the first time I have incurred a penalty charge. I have asked, in the branch, for this money to be refunded as a gesture of goodwill, but they have refused to do so. I feel, therefore, that I must review my future with Nat West.

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charge.

................................................................................

If it is your defence that this is a service charge, then I require that you send me a break down of costs and details of the benefit to me of this service, since it is a fundamental requirement in law that a “service” must benefit both parties.

Your responsibilities

.................................................................................

What I require

That you repay the £38.00 that you have taken from my account.

I regret that our relationship has come to this, but I feel strongly that your behaviour, terms and penalties are unreasonable. To quote your own advertising slogan “there is another way”.

Yours faithfully,

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

The last bit is too much a cliche and I have to say if I had a pound for everytime I heard it then I would not be working for anyone. I am still not sure why you are not taking the simple approach because as soon as she takes it into the branch it will be skim read and sent on to Customer Relations Unit, which means they will not even think about a refund. The letter says unlawful charges, so it will be out of their hands. A gentle approach first, if not then the letter should be handed in. It can work.

As an aside, can you edit the above post as Template letters are only available for registered users, thanks.

The idear is that she is going into the branch to talk to them again,

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

My daughter was told by the branch to phone the lending dept. She did, and appologised for being late with the transfer and asked if they would waive yhe fee on this occation, the woman said that she would only refund half the £38 penalty. She quoted terms and conditions etc.My daughter then told her that she could expect a letter.

No more miss nice girl..

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

So is that one is for £19 or £38? I would send it to Customer Relations Unit Borehamwood. I can almost guarantee success as it is such a small amount on Letter 1.

I believe she made it clear that she was not happy with £19. We will write to Borehamwood for a full refund. Sorry I didn't get the ref. to letter 1. In the templates 1 is the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request).

I do not understand why Nat West seem so hell bent on loosing customers, particularly one who will soon be a university graduite, who potentially will be earning good money, and looking to buy property etc.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

I suspect that the Prelim letter is what you are looking for. If only I could tell you some things from experience but I can;t. She will get it back from just Prelim as it is a first charge.

I will be modifying the draft letter I wrote earlier in post #66 which is based on the prelim.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Below is the ammended last paragraph, if they are sick of hearing it, prehapes they'll pass their feeling up those who think it's good to advertise for new customers while they p*ss off the ones they have, or maybe I'm being nieve in thinking they give a damn

I regret that our relationship has come to this, but I feel strongly that your behaviour, terms and penalties are unreasonable. To quote your own advertising slogan “there is another way”. I realise that this may sound cliché and I know you will sick and tired of hearing it; but nonetheless it is true, and it time your organisation realised it.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct