• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A New Low.... Please read

steve5080
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not wishing to stir up the debate again, I have only experience of Abbey and Nationwide. For all their faults, when I transfer on-line the money is immediately transferred, so in this case the money would have been available to meet the payment. Whilst I appreciate NWSM probably is referring to the system at NatWest, there really is no excuse for the delay. Other banks can do it so why not the NatWest?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NATTIE

Just to state this clearly so everyone is clear I am not aware of any delay in a transfer from two accounts linked together. The only delay mentioned is on the date on the statement.

But surely NWSM an online E saver and a current account will be linked together? I don't know about NatWest's methods from personal experience but the comments in the posts suggests the money was transferred on the Saturday but had not taken effect until Tuesday. Now with Abbey a transfer on Saturday was immediately available and the money could be withdrawn from a cash machine that same day. Is perhaps that the point that Steve needs to get across when he writes?

I have never had any problem transferring funds between my Current Plus and Step accounts. Do it on line and it goes straight from one to the other. I also paid cash in at the branch the other day and it was available by the time I got home to buy something on line using my Switch card.

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

Guest NATTIE

Please read this slowly and clearly, When money is transferred between two accounts online there is no delay in it going into the other account that is linked together. Please note that while the transfer is instant it will still show on the statement as Monday if a weekend, Wednesday if last Christmas or Tuesday if over the last weekend.

Does that make sense?

I know the transfer would have shown on the morning of the 2nd if not the saturday, because I know I have had a few occasions when doing other transfers where I have had to send a customer home to transfer funds from an e savings account. That was instantly available although it would not have changed the result of your daughter's payment, which would have shown as being returned on the Saturday morning.(Automated Process and all) Good Luck and as I said I am sure that if not at the branch then a Prelim Letter should see that charge being refunded.

Hi NWSM I have just re read the above post and am a little confused why the payment would have been "returned on the Saturday". The payment out of her current account was not due until the Monday 1 Jan, that being a bank holiday, it did not get prossed until Tuesday 2 Jan. She transfered the funds from her Esaver account into her current account on Saturday 30 Dec

Creation Financial Services--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Statements received 28 Oct

PAR sent 30 Oct for £910 Credited £282 as Good will Offer

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

N1 filled out, but they phoned and settelled in full 19 Jan:D

GE Capital--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Capital One---S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Great Universal(Littlewoods Shop Direct--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

PAR sent 19 Jan

Nat West--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 26 Oct

Received 27 Oct

Acknowledgement received 28 Oct

Guest NATTIE

Because the payment needed to be in the account the previous working day which was Friday 29th December by 3:30pm to quote the fees guide

Hello again NWSM

Sorry to be a pain here, when I started my previous post I had not seen your last post. Am I right in thinking then, that the standing order would still have been prossed Tuesday morning before the transfer would have shown on the system.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

Great Universal(Littlewoods Shop Direct--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Sorry again, our posts crossed over again, obversley your typing is qicker them mine. Thank again

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

and your spelling is better,

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

This is the difficult bit to explain because most bank systems are automated which mean that by saturday morning when the system was updated, even though the Standing Order was not due to go out till the Tuesday, the system was already bouncing it on the saturday prior to any transfer being made that day. Does that make sense? (I'm sure it would make me extremely annoyed to know that).

Cheers NWSM. It seems like a great system (for a bank looking to make any oppertunity to make charges.)

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Can I just say here that whilst all input is welcome, the explanations you have provided NWSM are very difficult to understand. (I would even venture to say that I found post No 30 to be somewhat rude). I think we can all see clearly the problem here now and Steve really was right in the first place. The bank should not be bouncing a payment on Saturday that is not due until Monday or Tuesday for the simple reason that a) it's not due yet and b) an electronic transfer could be made to cover the amount and indeed in this case it was exactly what happened. A very stern letter would be my next course of action which is pretty much what Steve suggested in the first place.

Guest NATTIE

Post 30 was frustration as I thought I had explained the process clearly.

However i will clarify why the item was bounced

To understand why though we need to understand working days as it stands. Monday to Friday which means any item due out on saturday to monday, cash has to be in the account the working day before by 330 or Friday to cover an item going out of the account.

When there are Bank Holidays then on this specific thread the Working days were Thursday 28th Dec Friday 29th Dec Jan 2nd 07. Which means that if the money was not in the account on the Friday any items that were due out over the period 30/12/06 to 02/01/2007 could be bounced if no funds were in the account to cover them by the Friday.

We all know the system is automated so when it was updated following Friday, showing things due out for 2/1/07, the item would have been in the process of being bounced.

Does that make it clear how the system works?

Which means that the transfer, while going through immediately(29th Dec), would have had no effect on the item being returned.

The transfer made on Sat, Sun, Monday would still have shown as being made 2nd Jan on any banks system, not just NatWest.

Thanks for your patients here guys. It does seem to be a historic parctice in that, while in the days before automation things had to done manually and therefore in working hours. In these days of automation the banks have chosen to use automation where it suits them to do so, and to stick to out-of-date rules where that suits. They have insisted they staff adopt modern working practices while holding on to Monday to Friday, 9:00-3:30 for themselves

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

to Joneshousehold, NWSM is voluntarily providing time, advice and support, so please relax and don't be so sensisitive. It is a little harsh to think that was rude, I would say 'emphatic', but hey some people on this site need their advice robustly delivered, (in my opinion).

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

:cool:

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Acknowledgment of Service 06.11.2006

Offer of approx 50% £2200.00 22.11.2006

Full settlement £4500 received 03.01.2007

Smile settled in full

Barclaycard settled in full

RBS Worldwide settled in full

Lloyds TSB settled in full £750.00

Lloyds TSB settled in Full £275.00 11.04.2007

Lloyds TSB business account £1376.00 AQ filed

Lloyds TSB Business account settled in full 21.05.07

I don't know whether I am right here, but when I was at school many years before computers, we were taught that the banks would do debits from account in the morning and then credits in the afternoon.(This is the reason for my earlier slowness to grasp NWSM expenation, sorry NWSM) This would mean that if the funds were not in the account by closing time the day before they would not be there for the debit the next day. Prehapes, because debits and credits are now done in real time, the banks have adopted pricipal that the funds must be there the working day before hand.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Hey, I am chilled. I just wanted to point out this thread was not as helpful to Steve as it could have been. We all provide advice, time and support for free. What I thought was wrong was the way the post started, like it was being addressed to very naughty children. It has since been acknowledged to be borne of frustration. It was my belief that frustration came about because the earlier postings were not clear. I have looked at them again and they still do not seem to be clear. Steve's last comment is spot on and this was the important point.

I thought I was being conciliatory whilst gently pointing out that post 30 has just stepped over the mark a bit. It must depend on the way you read my words. Try to image a gentle voice and the image of a caring face with a warm smile. The words seem to convey a different message then.

Anyway, no worries. I accept your view and as for asking me to relax - any more relaxed and I will be asleep!

Guest NATTIE

I have this weird sense that the 3:30pm rule is in place because there are sub branches of banks who close at this time. I would love somebody to correct me on this one because I am guessing.

The Working Day thing relates to the Bank Of England and clearing money market accounts.

Just to be absolutely clear before we have a to and fro argument. Post 30 was meant to be brutally blunt and it can be read as rude. Let's all be civil and say we all understand how the system works now, if not then please ask further and I will try to explain. Let's not get into petty bickering as it serves no purpose.

Steve- has your daughter spoken to NatWest at all and have they been reasonable enough to refund the amount or harsh and not refunded any amount?

Edit phew at least this is a good thread

Hi NWSM, I don't know you saw my post #42 before you posted #44. I just wondered whether that might be one expenation.

Just to be clear to all here, I have taken no afence at your posts and an greatfull for your time here, I'm sure we all get frustrated, and thats why we are here, driven to by the banks. I'm glad I don't have to work in them.

My daughter has not yet had the oppertunity to phone the bank as she is working all the hours she can before going back to uni next week, but she did get a letter from them yesterday telling her how naughty she had been and that they were charging her £38.00 and next time they wont write, they'll just charge

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

cont. from#45 she was told at the branch that she needs to speak to the leanding deptment, (seems to be a odd term as she has not boroughed any money and is not looking to do so,

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

seems od for just one single charge on a student account when managers can refund up to £50 in the branch without reference to anyone. Odd one. The letter means I know it was her only charge since she had the account. She can go into any branch of NatWest should be a 5 minute job.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass that on to her.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

While here: my wife has just had her statement. She was 90p OD at the end of Nov statement date, and was adviced they would take £28.00 fee. She went back into credit on the 8 Dec after receiving the statement and has remained in credit, however in thismornigs statement they advice they are taking another £28.00 for the same offence. Is this right

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

yep Unarranged Borrowing and because it fell over two charging periods but as I am sure you know by now, claim it back