• Tweets

• Forgive my ignorance but I assume take out dates would be when next payment is usually due? Jacamo is the 10th of each month Vanquis is usually the 6th or 7th of each month
    • Dear Sir/Madam, TFL case number: **** I would like to thank TFL for providing me the opportunity to explain my behaviour. I realised the stupidity of what I have done and wish to seek a resolution to this matter. I have no valid excuse for this action and I am extremely sorry and deeply regret my action. I hope you will accept my sincere apologies. Nothing can justify my action. I am aware that TFL are only able to operate if everyone pays their fare correctly and I feel so guilty about attempting to breach public trust. This has caused me sleepness nights and raised my anxieties. I have history of anxiety. This has been a hard lesson learnt. I have never been in trouble with the law in the past and I ensure that I won’t be in the future. I am and will be using my oyster card (PAYG). I would like to humbly appeal to TFL to allow me to settle this matter out of court and avoid going to prosecution given the adverse consequences it can have on me and my family. I am very concerned that prosecution for the first time and I would like to make restitution for my action. Having a criminal offense on my record will have detrimental consequences on me. I have always been a law abiding person and have no previous offences. I would really appreciate if I can be given the opportunity to pay for any unpaid fares plus any charges and/or administrative cost which have been incurred by TFL due to this incident. I am sincerely remorseful and ashamed of myself, and I fully appreciate the severity and stupidity of my transgressions. Again, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies. Yours Faithfully, My Name
    • the date is 19/04/24, so i have until 29/4/24 to reply? Yes, i will send my draft of my begging letter   
    • use the webform if it allows you to attach your evidential documents then do so but do that later depending upon who your bank is.... - but i suspect you will be referred to Mastercard. who is your bank? dx    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A New Low.... Please read

steve5080
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6249 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Below is a letter I am about to send to the Chairman Of Nat West.

Dear Sir

On arriving home from work today, I was told by my daughter that the standing order for the rent on her student accommodation was not paid by you because of “insufficient funds”: this in spite of the fact that she had transferred the funds online from her Nat West E Saver account to her current account on Saturday 30 December 2006. The standing order would normally go through of the first of the month, however, with the bank holiday she was aware that it would go out on Tuesday 2 January 2007. Because debits are carried out in the morning and credits are processed in the afternoon, she was technically without funds at the moment your computer system processed the transfer. The transfer was denied and a charge of £38.00 has appeared on her account. The funds, of course, appeared in the account the same day.

Fortunately her current landlords agent has been understanding, and is prepared to wait for the cheque that she has posted today: although she is aware that others have levied a late payment charge of their own in such circumstances’.

I am incensed, livid and outraged at such a penalty being applied practically to a student on a tight budget, and when the funds were already in her Nat West accounts. I feel sure that you will tell me in your defence that this is an automated process, however I would like to know how you arrive at a charge of £38.00 for this action. I do not believe that this is a justifiable charge.

I now have nothing but contempt for your bank, you clearly have no regard whatsoever for your customers and are driven by greed for yourselves and your shareholders. I do not believe that you are a fit and proper organisation to have charge of peoples money.

I am passing the details of this matter to the Ombudsman’s Office, Trading Standards, my MP, BBC’s Watchdog and Radio 4 Money Box and the press in general.

This could be called legalised robbery, except that I do not believe that it is legal, it is "unlawfull", and if you think that statement is labile them I invite you to take me to court, I will look forward to the publicity.

Any comments or suggestions greatfully received

Creation Financial Services--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Statements received 28 Oct

PAR sent 30 Oct for £910 Credited £282 as Good will Offer

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

N1 filled out, but they phoned and settelled in full 19 Jan:D

GE Capital--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Capital One---S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

Great Universal(Littlewoods Shop Direct--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

PAR sent 19 Jan

Nat West--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 26 Oct

Received 27 Oct

Acknowledgement received 28 Oct

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All true but sadly I don't think they care.:(

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

Guest NATTIE

Sorry but the funds needed to be transferred on the previous working day before 3:30pm so Friday 29th. If this is the only charge then it will in all likelihood be refunded.

Sad fact but, in the Banks defence perhaps a phone call to them explaining the problem could have avoided all the unpleasantnes.:)

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

I'm with Natweststaff on this one. Ive been down this road with Barclays And the Financial Ombudsman, and the funds have to be in place the day before. Its the same for a direct debit.

Has your daughter actually spoken to the bank and requested the charge be refunded, before you go all guns blazing?

No she didn't phone them, she went in person to the branch. They say they can do nothing in the branch. The E Saver account is an internet only account. She was transfering money from one Nat West account to another Nat West account. I bank with IF and when I transfer funds from one account to another it is instant. If they can do it, then why not Nat West.

That said why is anyone here defending Nat West charging £38.00 for this "service" in first place. If you think there is any justification for this, then why are you here

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

Great Universal(Littlewoods Shop Direct--S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 18 Oct

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

plus i wouldnt put legalised robbery or theft. they are unlawful completely different.;) i think you need to tone the letter down a bit if i was sent that i would throw it in the bin. lots of peeps on here have had huge claims to deal with but havent gone down the road like you have.

follow the tried and trusted method on here and you will get it back.

Guest NATTIE

The branch are correct that the Esaver account is online no branch can do this, and so is IF as well as telephone. Her argument should have been that technically the funds had not left the account at the point that the funds were transferred online on the Saturday, therefore she should not have been charged. If it was a first charge then they could have taken cirumstances into consideration. As for the letting agency charging her, is that not a penalty charge?

Hi Kimmy

What I said was "this could be called Legalised robbery , except that I do not believe that it is legal,, it is unlawfull"

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Steve the charge is unlawful not illegal and the best thing for her to do is ring them and ask for it back, if they don't agree then to follow the process detailed on the site.

Also please can you edit yours posts where you mention theft, we must avoid potentially libelous comments. Thanks and good luck to your daughter, if its her first charge chances are they'll just refund it anyway. :)

Ex CAG helper ^_^

The branch are correct that the Esaver account is online no branch can do this, and so is IF as well as telephone.

Can you reword this as it makes no sence

the reference to IF is how MY bank work and if they can transfer funds at the click of a mouse, then why can't Nat West. She was transfering money from her Nat West Esaver to Her Nat West Current accounts.

Her argument should have been that technically the funds had not left the account at the point that the funds were transferred online on the Saturday, therefore she should not have been charged.

The funds were already taking out of her Esaver account but not yet in her Current Account

If it was a first charge then they could have taken cirumstances into consideration. As for the letting agency charging her, is that not a penalty charge?

And again how do you justify £38.00 For not paying the standing order

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

I understand that the word theft should not be used here so I have edited the above posts to read "unlawful" however if they wish to sue me personnelly I will welcome the publicity. If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog and barks like a dog..........

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Thank you steve it is much appriciated, we need to avoid such comments as the site can be sued as well as the member, as for nwsm's comments he is merely saying what practises NatWest use, he isn't condoning them. He is trying to explain to you what the process is.

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Guest NATTIE

IF= Intelligent Finance ie no branches. E Saver is designed as an online account and transfers are immediate although will show on the following working day as being made.

I was stating that her argument could have been. I work for the bank. I know the straight jacket that is put around us in relation to charges.

Just so you know, the bank as a general view will not refund a charge unless there has been a Bank Error which there has not been. It is a first charge so maybe a Gesture Of Goodwill Refund.

I am sure you realise, I have never justified the £38 charge on this site in the 2000 odd posts on this site, nor have I ever condoned the charge. The charge is a set charge regardless of amount of DD/SO or cheque.

If a husband and wife both have natwest accounts, and they transfer money between accounts, where does the money actually go? If you look on bankstatements, you will see it goes missing for three days or more. But where does it go?

We know there is no real money, just numbers, so where is the money acutally?

Marmot please can you start this discussion in general banking, it may get more answers there and not clutter up steves thread. Cheers! :D

(ps when i xfer money from mine to hubbys account it happens that second...or so i thought). :p

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Well Re Ombudsmen whether they find for or against you really doesn't matter, if you're twisted like me you will take satisfaction from knowing that every complaint the obudsmen investigate costs the organisation money. I forget the exact amount but I think it's a good few hundred quid...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Guest NATTIE

I will answer that one marmot, it depends is the answer as to whether both accounts are at the same branch which is overnight, if they have different branches then it is treated as a BACS payment and takes 3 days or 4 if done after the cut off point for internet payments same day.

Guest NATTIE

steve- get your daughter to argue that the payment had not actually left the account and funds were transferred online on the Saturday. If they fail to refund in full then start the CAG way on a Prelim. Hope that helps

Thanks nwsm, As I stated in my draft letter I am awear that debits are made in the morning and that the credit would not have been applied to the account untill the afternoon. It is the prosses that automatically renders a £38.00 charge, were others, as in the case of her house mates(A&L account), would have transfered outside of bank opening times: A&L did it on the 1st

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Guest NATTIE

I know the transfer would have shown on the morning of the 2nd if not the saturday, because I know I have had a few occasions when doing other transfers where I have had to send a customer home to transfer funds from an e savings account. That was instantly available although it would not have changed the result of your daughter's payment, which would have shown as being returned on the Saturday morning.(Automated Process and all) Good Luck and as I said I am sure that if not at the branch then a Prelim Letter should see that charge being refunded.

Thanks for your time guys

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

I can't help wondering that if we were a little less nice & polite in asking "please sir can I have my money back, I'll be good from now on", might they get the message that they cannot get away with treating their customers this way. Of couse I realise that it not the fault of the staff on the front line, they have to work within the system, but there must be another way. Prehapes some of us should buy shares, then turn up at the AGM and ask some awkward questions.

LBA sent 28 Dec for £730

PAR sent 19 Jan

Received 27 Oct

Couldnt agree more, we always go to the Bank cap in hand.

Many years ago a bank manager who retired helped us in business quite a lot, the cost of the help was the manager wanted to become a none executive director of our business. We felt obliged to agree, the shock was this: The retired manager expected our customers to behave like they were wanting a large overdraft, eventually we had to end the arrangement.:rolleyes:

I dont ever recall having to wait weeks and months for the charges to be applied however, the current regime of reclaiming with the help of all the good folk here at CAG works so, if it aint broke dont fix it.:)

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast