Holding Back Last Rent Cheque

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know if I am legally entitled to hold back my last rent cheque. Ive given my landlord notice in due course and told him I will be holding back the rent and he can use the deposit.

I will be leaving the place in a better condition than I recieved it too.

Im doing it like this becuase of past experience with people and 1 small claims case.

Thanks

Legally you can't and I would advise against it. It will put you in breach of contract.

Obviously if you withold the rent then it would be difficult for the landlord to do much about it if you are leaving within the month anyway.

Having said that, it will cause a lot of friction between you and the landlord and he will probably be suspicious and think the only reason you are holding it back is because there is likely to be a problem when you leave and you are expecting him to make some sort of deduction.

And if you do it this time I don't know what you will do in the future when the new deposit scheme comes into force on April 6th as deposits will be held by a third party as opposed to a landlord anyway.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

And if you do it this time I don't know what you will do in the future when the new deposit scheme comes into force on April 6th as deposits will be held by a third party as opposed to a landlord anyway.

I have in fact done more work to the flat and it is in better condition now and do not intend to rip him off.

I will speak to him and let him know he is welcome to come check the place over at any time.

If anyone has any other viewpoint or if they've done this Id appreciate it.

I have in fact done more work to the flat and it is in better condition now and do not intend to rip him off.

I wasn't suggesting you would do so, just pointing out how the landlord may take your refusing to pay the rent.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

No Probs.

I seem to have a fairly good relationship with my landlord and have just let him know this again.

At the end of the day he should have 350, my deposit to cover the rent secured somewhere (in an ideal world) so he should not and I doubt he is out of pocket.

I have been ripped of in the past and do it this way now unless I can be 100% but you never can be.

I did actually think I was entitled to do this but at the end of the day there isn't much he can do about it.

Or is there?