• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

£750 limit question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Presumably you are talking about a Scottish claim? If yes, then the total claimable under Small Claims is £750 and that excludes interest and court fees.

However, you may be able to use MCOL and take advantage of the £5000 small claims limit as long as you have an address you can use for service of documents in either England or Wales.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Thanks hagenuk.

Yes it's a scottish claim. tbh i've only just found the Scottish section. I wondered why very few people were replying to my thread in the normal BoS section. Might be an idea to get you to move it actually if you don't mind. Although i've just found out i don't know how to link it. Thanks for your reply though. It was just what i needed to know.

Thanks

Hi there townend, I've recently made the mistake of going for £750 worth of charges + 8% interest + expenses but was quickly put right by the clerk who said i could include the interest but as long as the two added together came in under £750. Hope this helps and good luck.

davg

sorry davg, can't understand why they told you that. Claim is £750 of charges + 8% interest + £39 fee. Received nearly £920 back from BOS to settle my first claim. Clerk of court must have made a mistake.

What hagenuk said was right.

Hi Townend1

Have just read your post and was wondering if your claim is for more than £750 of charges you could use summery cause which allows you to claim £1500,i have just been paid out on my second summery claim and going for 3rd i also live in scotland.It costs you another £16 or so but it is worth it, this is for a sherrif officer to serve it this may sound complicated to you but it isn't if i can do it anyone can.If i can be of any help to you just ask,you will get your money back.

Hi willmurr. Funny you should say that about summary cause. I was sitting trawling the website last night while sorting my spreadsheets and found loads of info on summary cause and realized the it's not exactly a great risk to go for it because not only are they not going to send a lawyer to the court to defend more than £750 but less than £1500 (which my claim is), and even if they did, they're not exactly going to start revealing they're cost for sending automated letters because i'll have won then anyway along with the entire country! Thats if this case even goes to court in the first case. I also found out about getting a sheriff officer to serve and have their phone numbers in front of me right now!

Thanks everyone

Sorry to mislead you townend if thats the case, the clerk who i spoke to was adamant that i was the first person to try and do the claim by adding the interest on top of £750 worth of charges. To be honest she didn't seem to clued up so Mhairi your probably right about this. There has been conflicting arguements on this for a while now, maybe one of the mods can put everyone right.

davg

I must say that through reading several posts i haved formed an opinion of adding interest to POC. This is as follows

Where peeps have had claim of £750 (charges) and added text to the words of claiming judicial interest at 8% etc etc etc the banks have more than often offered settlement of the claim itself (charges only) and indeed have put in writing that the interest is only added at the judges discretion, yes you could say to hell with that and hold out for it but the way i see it better is to make your claim up to £750 or as near to it including the interest (contractual as i got or judicial) then they will have paid your interest as well and you dont need to wait any longer, cute eh.