BankFodder BankFodder

Twicer

Interest nightmare - anyone else had this?!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4898 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

Greetings to everyone. I've just received my last 5 years' bank statements for a RBS account that I thought had been frozen in May 2004. I've been paying £20 a month on an overdraft of just over £2200 since then, and had thought that the interest had been frozen (I have another account with Barclays, so I use this for my day-to-day banking).

When I received my statements I found I have been being charged around £60 a month interest every month, so despite having paid around £600, I have accrued interest of about £1500. I went overdrawn due to charges, although I think these 'only' total about £300. Obviously I wouldn't have agreed with the bank to pay £20 a month had I known I was losing £40 in interest every month!!!

Can I claim these interest charges back? I keep hunting around for info on interest charges, but I'm confused about compound interest etc.

I intend to speak to my bank tomorrow (not about my intentions of claiming, rather about the fact the interest has been charged).

Any advice? Or am I a gonner?

Guest NATTIE

Yep I think you can claim that back