Halifax Total Mortgage Protection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

3 years ago I changed my mortgage to the Halifax. At this time I also took out their own home and contents insurance, on my bank statements (again halifax) I have had an amount of money coming out each month and the statement reads 'Halifax Insurance', naturally I assumed this was the house insurance until last month I changed mortgage company and the insurance was cancelled. The money is / was still coming out of my bank account with 'Halifax Insurance', I called the halifax and they say it is a 'Total Mortgage Protection' insurance to cover injury on my mortgage when i changed to them 3 yrs ago. I did NOT take this insurance out and Halifax seem to be struggling to prove otherwise yet still refusing to refund me the payments made over the last 3 yrs stating I have been covered and if I had ever had an accident i would have been covererd! How come, I never knew about or even agreed to such an insurance. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience with the halifax and managed to get thre premium back?

All i can say at this stage is to ask for proof of the agreement. Is it a box that was ticked on the mortgage application?

Hi all,

3 years ago I changed my mortgage to the Halifax. At this time I also took out their own home and contents insurance, on my bank statements (again halifax) I have had an amount of money coming out each month and the statement reads 'Halifax Insurance', naturally I assumed this was the house insurance until last month I changed mortgage company and the insurance was cancelled. The money is / was still coming out of my bank account with 'Halifax Insurance', I called the halifax and they say it is a 'Total Mortgage Protection' insurance to cover injury on my mortgage when i changed to them 3 yrs ago. I did NOT take this insurance out and Halifax seem to be struggling to prove otherwise yet still refusing to refund me the payments made over the last 3 yrs stating I have been covered and if I had ever had an accident i would have been covererd! How come, I never knew about or even agreed to such an insurance. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience with the halifax and managed to get thre premium back?

A couple of points here if I may.

Firstly, it is unwise to have "all your eggs in one basket", in your case everything with the Halifax, so I'm glad to see you have remortgaged away from them.

Secondly, this sounds more like a Sickness, Accident & Unemployment policy (ASU), now generically referred to as MPPI (mortgage payment protection insurance). If so, there is a section contained within the Halifax mortgage application for this which you either must have signed inadvertantly, or they have ticked the box without your knowledge/consent. Write a letter of complaint to them asking to see a copy of your original mortgage application form.

Does this mean that you have not had buildings or contents insurance for the last 3 years then? That would have been interesting if you had needed to make a claim, wouldn't it?

Donate to your favourite charities without it costing you a penny. For more details please visit www.insure4charity.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and replys. Kizan - Thanks, I have had home insurance so NO problem there. As for the MPPI, I have received the proof from the Halifax, how it is worded as part of the declaration that states:

I am / am not applying for Total Mortgage Protection (delete as applicable)

NONE of these has been deleted so effectively I have not apllied for nor declined this insurance. Any ideas from here?

Thanks again

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and replys. Kizan - Thanks, I have had home insurance so NO problem there. As for the MPPI, I have received the proof from the Halifax, how it is worded as part of the declaration that states:

I am / am not applying for Total Mortgage Protection (delete as applicable)

NONE of these has been deleted so effectively I have not apllied for nor declined this insurance. Any ideas from here?

Thanks again

If neither has been deleted then you would have a case to say that you did not request the cover, as I pressume the application would have been completed by a member of their staff ?. If it was completed by their staff I would say if you never requested it and their staff member did not delete the appropriate item then that would be an error on their part (which of course they will deny) and you would have the right to reclaim any payments that they have taken, as long as you have never made any claim on the policy of course. If you do reclaim the premiums..Remember that you can also claim Interest at the contractual rate for each payment.

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.