BankFodder BankFodder

yellowplum

Membership Rewards and American Express

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4734 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This is an odd issue, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on it.

I had an AMEX card; it was cancelled because I was disputing something on it. However AMEX also cancelled the separate membership rewards account and state that I forfeit the points.

However I have a problem with this. Firstly membership rewards charges a separate annual fee to be a member and obtain points. Secondly all the points that have been cancelled relate to purchases that where bought using the card previously and that have been paid for.

Now my issue is also how you define the points actual value, since you earn 1 point for every pound spent you can’t go demanding ‘x’ amount of pounds back from them.

Any suggestions gratefully received….

When I worked for BA AIR MILES, the value of an AIR MILE was 0.001p, I remember someone that I knew who worked for American Express Rewards and I think it was the same value per point. If you check the T & C's (if you can get hold of them) of the scheme, it should tell you the value of each point.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to add something which i didn't think of adding previously.

The card isn't a UK card, it's a USD card that is issued in the UK, so the terms of the rewards are somewhat different.

American Express International Dollar Card - Europe & Africa - Personal - Membership Rewards - FAQs

I have yet to be able to locate the actual terms of the USD rewards.

Although it seems they do not offer a cash alternative...

My problem is that the points where accumulated by paying a fee to subscribe, whereas the points you refer to for AIR Miles you do not pay to join the scheme you just get them when you fly or use the credit card etc. This is a separate scheme that you have to pay an annual fee for.

Does that not make any difference?

I am intrigued, that if you pay a subscription that they can cancel the points?

In terms of the value, I am pretty sure their will be a value, but very minimal (In USD 0.0001 cents) or even 0.001 cents?

You really need those T & C's. Have you not thought to phone them up and asked for them to be sent?

Best regards

It's been an ongoing battle with them, what is interesting is that my personal card that I have with them has had it's credit limit recently slashed from 15,000 to 1,200.

I have never been late with paments, and actually very seldom use the card. I suspect someone has noticed this business card was held in my name as well.

Oh well.

With regards to the points, I am still waiting for details regarding T&Cs to be sent through, once I have obtained these I will post...

my personal card that I have with them has had it's credit limit recently slashed from 15,000 to 1,200.

I have never been late with paments, and actually very seldom use the card. I suspect someone has noticed this business card was held in my name as well.

Amex have done this to me too, though the reduction was only £200. I asked for an explanation and was told that they do this regularly to many cardholders and it shouldn't be looked at as any criticism or indication that Amex were concerned. However, they did not like my suggestion that I would follow their example, review my payments and reduce them :)