• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mbna Nightmare!!!!

Cornucopia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, having a nightmare with MBNA.

In July time, I contacted ...as my husband was having difficulty with his huge MBNA debt.

He was fantastically helpful and agreed to freeze interest and charges and refund all charges made to account thusfar.

He then told me that my husband could pay back £120.00 a month over 10 years. Not ideal, but at least the debt would be reduced and no further interest and charges added.

So far, so good.

Waited weeks for an Asset & Expenditure form from them, when it arrived I filled it in and returned it at around the end of August.

Then..........nothing. Emailed ... who didn't respond until a few days later but explained he had a family issue

and would be out of the office for a while and that ...would oversee things in his absence. Emailed .., copied .. in.

Asked what had happened to our A&E form that we returned. Heard nothing.

Have emailed about 15 times since, I did have ...direct number at one point but cannot find it anywhere and it doesn't appear to be on the site.

Also where I work there is no privacy so impossible for me to call in the day so I rely a lot on email.

We then received a letter from a random bloke called ...saying that this was our "last chance" to take action with the account before it got nasty (in not so many words).

I emailed him immediately explaining the situation and that ...were dealing with it but heard nothing.

I have now just received a default notice from a company called Arrow Global LLC saying that my husband had to pay £2,150 by today or they will be taking him to court.

Husband is at wits end and says to hell with it, let them take him to court, given we have done everything that was required of us.

I immediately wrote to them (faxed and posted) explaining all of the above and that in our view MBNA should not have assigned the debt.

I asked them to confirm receipt, so far nothing, but then it was just before Christmas.

It says on the default that if he pays the money, no further action will be taken, but frankly, we haven't got that amount available to us.

I have emailed ...straight away but got an out of office reply from Gavin (until 28th December), have emailed twice since, but have absolutely no response whatsoever.

This is really really odd, ..... has always been very helpful and I can't believe they would just ignore us.

Furthermore, ... did not credit the charges as promised, nor freeze the interest and £2,000 has been added since I first spoke to him!

I am so surprised at how this has gone because .... is in fact a lovely chap and has always been really helpful and kind to me.

I am at a loss at what to do. The Default is scary, advising husband to get a Solicitor etc, we can't afford a bloody solicitor!!!!

I am going to gather up all the information tonight and fax it through to ... tomorrow when I am in the office, with copies of everything.

I know that there is a fax number for his office in the MBNA sticky. He surely can't ignore a fax?!

Can anybody give me any advice at all? I am absolutely worried sick!

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont panic. Firstly, hit the debt collection agency with a cca. You will find template for this on the site (bank letters). Enc £1 postal order. This will put the debt on hold and they cannot register the default whist the debt is in dispute. Send SAR request to MBNA. I really wouldnt bother contacting MBNA again other than the SAR request. They are obviously incompetent. We are all here to help you, so dont worry.

Dont panic. Firstly, hit the debt collection agency with a cca. You will find template for this on the site (bank letters). Enc £1 postal order. This will put the debt on hold and they cannot register the default whist the debt is in dispute. Send S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request to MBNA. I really wouldnt bother contacting MBNA again other than the SAR request. They are obviously incompetent. We are all here to help you, so dont worry.

Hi there, thanks so much for your reply! I will do that tonight and send tomorrow, however, where does that leave me with our arrangement to pay and the asset and expenditure form? I think the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing there and I have consistently kept them informed. What is galling is being ignored, that is just not on!:(

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Dont panic. Firstly, hit the debt collection agency with a cca. You will find template for this on the site (bank letters). Enc £1 postal order. This will put the debt on hold and they cannot register the default whist the debt is in dispute. Send S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request to MBNA. I really wouldnt bother contacting MBNA again other than the SAR request. They are obviously incompetent. We are all here to help you, so dont worry.

Hi, sorry to be a nuisance, can't find a CCA letter under the library templates, am I looking in the right place?

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Dont worry about the expenditure form for the moment. Firstly, you need to get the debt put on hold, stop them issuing the default and find out how much can be reclaimed in unlawful charges to reduce the debt. Will just look for CCA letter. just a mo

Lovely, thank you for that! I have printed it out and will send tomorrow. Can I send a cheque instead of postal order? How much time will this buy me to find out what the hell MBNA are up to??

Thank you again!

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

By which time, you should have all your statements back and can send your prelim letter to MBNA, thus putting the debt into dispute until they settle.

Fab! You're a star! Thank you! Will keep the thread updated with any news. :)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Most important, dont worry. Hopefully, you can get a big chunk of this debt wiped off due to unlawful charges. Dont forget that you can claim back the contractual interest on the charges. If my memory serves me correct, I think it is 14.9 with MBNA. Then we can work on a manageable repayment plan that is affordable for you. Take no notice of the DCA demanding ridiculous amounts in repayment. If you had £2,000 spare, you wouldnt be in this mess. They are not supposed to intimidate debtors in this way, but unfortunately they think they are a law unto themselves. You have found your way here now, and you are slowly learning your rights. Let us know how much your charges are when you get them back, and if you have any more hassle from the DCA, we are all here to help you. Good luck.

• Haha 2

Most important, dont worry. Hopefully, you can get a big chunk of this debt wiped off due to unlawful charges. Dont forget that you can claim back the contractual interest on the charges. If my memory serves me correct, I think it is 14.9 with MBNA. Then we can work on a manageable repayment plan that is affordable for you. Take no notice of the DCA demanding ridiculous amounts in repayment. If you had £2,000 spare, you wouldnt be in this mess. They are not supposed to intimidate debtors in this way, but unfortunately they think they are a law unto themselves. You have found your way here now, and you are slowly learning your rights. Let us know how much your charges are when you get them back, and if you have any more hassle from the DCA, we are all here to help you. Good luck.

Hi Stansfield, thank you for your lovely post above. Unfortunately, I have today received a Termination Notice from Arrow Global demanding immediate repayment of an amount akin to a lot of people's salaries! When Arrow Global sent their first letter the week before last, they told us to contact Eversheds LLP who would be dealing with it. I immediately wrote to Eversheds (and faxed it), explaining that the account was being dealt with directly with MBNA and could they please hang on for five minutes whilst I found out what was happening at MBNA. I then issued the CCA letter via recorded delivery (as you advised) and they have completely ignored both letters. So, Arrow Global have gone ahead and terminated. I have written quite a strongly worded letter to them today and sent it recorded, containing all the facts, copies of all letters and correspondence with MBNA. If they do take us to court, I think that any Judge will see that we have made every effort known to man to sort this out and that MBNA have somehow screwed up. MBNA agreed to accept £120.00 a month over 10 years, how the hell can they assign the debt to somebody else? Surely there must be some regulatory body who can help me with this? I wrote to Stuart Johnson and Gavin Theobald on Tuesday and faxed it directly to MBNA's solicitor, I also e-mailed it to both of them and then posted it. That elicited an email response from Gavin Theobald that he would be in touch very shortly. However, I have emailed today asking him or Stuart to respond, given that we have received the termination, and thus far nothing. Stuart is well aware of our circumstances and I think they have just washed their hands of it and don't want to tell me that. As always, I am appreciative of any comments, thank you:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

This is just terrible for you. Do not worry, they cannot break down your door and they cannot get what you havent got. More importantly, they are going to find themselves with egg on their faces. We need that SAR request back to work out how much the charges are. Stick to the £120 for now and make sure you save the emails in which they agreed to this. This will not good to a judge should it go to court. However, I dont think it will come to that. If you need to talk, just pm for my phone number. Keep your chin up x

This is just terrible for you. Do not worry, they cannot break down your door and they cannot get what you havent got. More importantly, they are going to find themselves with egg on their faces. We need that S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request back to work out how much the charges are. Stick to the £120 for now and make sure you save the emails in which they agreed to this. This will not good to a judge should it go to court. However, I dont think it will come to that. If you need to talk, just pm for my phone number. Keep your chin up x

Ahh bless you, you're a star! I actually don't feel scared anymore, I feel bloody angry and would be more than happy to stand up in court to this lot! What a shower! I am hoping to have some sort of correspondence from MBNA by tomorrow or at least Monday. I am going to write a formal complaint and will also contact the Financial Services Authority to see what they have to say. I will do the SAR this weekend. I am going to send the first cheque on Monday, but do I sent it to Arrow or to MBNA? I am rather tempted to send it to MBNA making it clear what it is actually for and in accordance with our "agreement". My husband hasn't used that card in about 4 years, not once, and it has grown by thousands because they are charging nearly 30% interest. In actual fact, the debt has grown by £2,000 since August because of interest and charges. That is surely criminal? It only got to the size it did because of some really difficult personal circumstances (ie : he divorced and was cleaned out - I am his second wife and have inherited this debt) and then he was made redundant. He decided to start his own construction business which has been quite successful but then he lost a massive contract in the summer at the very last minute due to an issue with the Local Authority (not his fault and completely unforseen) so it had a huge impact on our income. That was when we decided to seek help. We have a little girl, so I only work part time, although it is well-paid, but my salary covers things like the mortgage and other essential direct debts. I do take as much overtime as I can get aswell. Things have improved since and he is currently very busy (long may it continue!). He works extremely hard and deserves success, not all this stress! I am so grateful for the offer of a chat and may well take that up if it all gets too much! But for the moment, I am off to put my Gladiator outfit on and drink a LOT of wine!!!!:):):):):)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Good for you! Keep up the fighting spirit! Yes, the SAR goes to MBNA, you will find the template letter on this site. Include a paragraph saying that you would like to see a copy of the original agreement. I hope you have kept copies of the correspondence giving agreement to freeze the interest. This is very important if you have, because they will HAVE to adhere to their word! I am keeping my fingers crossed that the charges and interest you can claim back, will significantly reduce the debt. Remember, you are not a criminal! You deserve to be treated with respect!

I may have missed somthing because I haven't had time to read all the messages on your thread, this is a flying visit.This is Gavin Theobald's number just in case you don't already have it 01244 672628 9am-5pm. I have spoken to him several times about my claim but he is very firm and tough. Good luck!

I may have missed somthing because I haven't had time to read all the messages on your thread, this is a flying visit.This is Gavin Theobald's number just in case you don't already have it 01244 672628 9am-5pm. I have spoken to him several times about my claim but he is very firm and tough. Good luck!

Thank you for that Melanie! Don't like the sound of him! Stuart Johnson is really very nice and easy to talk to, shame you didn't get to speak to him! That is very useful, thank you!:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Ladies, these people are just paying you lip service! Dont be fooled by their kind and sincere telephone manner. At the end of the day, they have done nothing to help you.

You are probably SO right!! They are certainly not helping me at the moment! Just a quick update of sorts, Arrow Global told us that all correspondence relating to the account should be sent to Eversheds LLP. They provided all the contact details. I wrote to Eversheds on the 21 December and again on Tuesday last week, but have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement, I know they have received the letters as they were sent "recorded". Arrow Global should have got my letter today containing all the information in response to their issue of the termination notice. I have just emailed my friends at MBNA and reminded them that they have not responded to my letter dated 2 January, despite Gavin emailing me and promising a response. I think they just can't find my A&E form and don't know what to do! My SAR request is drawn up and I shall post tomorrow. Onwards and upwards...............:-|

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Surprise, surprise, since my post above, not a word from MBNA, Arrow Global or Eversheds. Why are they all ignoring me? Am particularly peeved (not the word I wanted to use, but for the sake of decency......) with MBNA, especially after being promised a response by Gavin Theobald in his e-mail to me on 4th January.

I am planning on making a formal complaint to the Financial Services Authority, I am sure there must be some legislation in place that can protect me in such circumstances. Surely somebody is answerable? Should I report to the OFT aswell? Any comments, anybody?

Also, could anybody confirm that the highest person to complain to at MBNA is still Michael Rhodes?

Thank you! :)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I would not even bother contacting MBNA again. Make sure you keep copies of all your correspondence to them, should ever you need them as proof that you have done all in your capacity to resolve this matter.

Just sit back and wait now.

I would not even bother contacting MBNA again. Make sure you keep copies of all your correspondence to them, should ever you need them as proof that you have done all in your capacity to resolve this matter.

Just sit back and wait now.

Hi Stansfield! I hope you are well!

Thanks for that, I tend to agree with you, but I feel the need to complain at their shoddy behaviour. It is outrageous! Do you know if I can complain to the OFT also? Is that worth bothering with?

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I would complain to everyone including the Information Commissioner's Office. Make their life as difficult as possible for shunning you in such a disgraceful way. You can download the complain form on the ICO site.

I would complain to everyone including the Information Commissioner's Office. Make their life as difficult as possible for shunning you in such a disgraceful way. You can download the complain form on the Information Commissioners Office site.

Oh wow! I didn't even think of them! Right, I'm on a mission now - thank you, as ever, for your sound advice!!! :D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Right, an update, and advice desperately needed!!!

We today received a letter from Eversheds, the Solicitor acting for Arrow Global plc, the company that MBNA appear to have sold my husbands debt to. This gives us 5 days to pay the sum of £15,000.00. Ha bloody ha. They have ignored both my previous letters, including the CCA letter that I sent a week ago. They are saying if we don't pay it in that time, they will send bailiffs to our home or instigate court proceedings.

I sent a detailed pack of correspondence to Arrow Global and they have also completely ignored me and have not responded to that.

To top it all, I have also received a letter today from Stephen Bailey at MBNA saying "we acknowledge your complaint and will respond by 30th January". What good is that to me? They have ignored me so far and 30th January is far too late. So Stuart Johnson and Gavin Theobald have obviously washed their hands of it. I think MBNA don't want to admit that they have completely screwed up. What got me was their "committment to you" leaflet that they included! Hilarious!

So what now? Will call Eversheds obviously, have no choice in the matter, but what do we do? Will they accept the payment plan that was agreed with MBNA or can they bankrupt us? I am most scared of that to be honest.

Can anybody advise?:sad:

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks