Water meters do they save you money?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ive been looking for a thread on this and only found one on Moneysavingexpert.

Im considering a water meter but after an online calculation tells me i will be paying £50 more a year and charged £20 for being semi detatched ( what that has to do with my water usage i have no ideal)

Im now thinking it may be a bad move, although some users say the calculation is innacurate so if anyone reading this has a water meter, have you saved any money?

I only know two people that switched to a water meter. Both are single, have combi-boilers and use showers rather than baths. They both saved quite a bit. A couple of years ago I was told that my bills would be higher as my household was much bigger (2 adults + 2 kids), I had a conventional boiler and used my dishwasher frequently!

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

I pay £11.00 per month on a water meter and I am in credit, I have no idea what I would pay on rates but I do live in a 3 bedroom house so I guess it would be more. Being single with no kids is probably the best way to reduce your water bill :D

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

If you buy a house, you will find that the water companies have the power to install a water meter whether you like it or not. I discovered this when I moved into my current home in March 2006. However, this has turned into a result for me. My water rates for the property were £348 for 2006/7. I can see from the meter what my usage is and with the standing charges thrown in it is going to cost me £150 a year. That's on a 3 bedroom house with 2 adults living there (including SWMBO who insists on having a bath rather than saving water by using the shower!!:D )

Guest Battleaxe

We are in a semi detached and our water rates went down from £320 a year to £150.00, two bedrooms, dishwasher,I take frequent baths as well shower each day , washing machine used every day, have a large garden, two adults, the POM showers. Bathe the three cats once a fortnight.

My neighbour who has two children and two dults, three bedroom with all mod cons is now paying £290.00 a year against the £320.00 a year unmetered.

I hate my meter, overcharged every month, they had the nerve to charge me £150 for 3 months of water, and they still haven't sorted it out. (£100 of this is with me in the house on my own for 2 months)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

. Bathe the three cats once a fortnight.

I would love to be a fly on the wall watching that exercise!!:D :D :D I wouldn't even attempt it with my 4, though to be fair they do keep themselves in good order.

I hate my meter, overcharged every month, they had the nerve to charge me £150 for 3 months of water, and they still haven't sorted it out. (£100 of this is with me in the house on my own for 2 months)

Was this due to a leak? do they check for pressure and underground loss?

or is the meter the closest point to the property?

Hmm.. In my house we have 4 kids and another on the way, all who prefer baths, as does other half, and the dog - me I'm a shower person, but with 3 toilets... Water bill on meter around £450 a year.. gulp....

Mike

What i dont understand is the extra £20 for a semi detached property what on earth has that got to do with how much water i use:confused:

I think - though not 100% that it may have more to do with drainage, and surface water....

Mike

I think - though not 100% that it may have more to do with drainage, and surface water....

Mike

Agh yes you could be right as the allowance taken off my bill is £17.50 but I think its the same which ever home has a soak away hhhmmm

May ring them on Monday and ask.

thanks

BL:)

Just checked the 2007 charges and its a £34 surface chrarge across the board so thats not it.

Guest Battleaxe

I forgot to add we have two toilets in our semi.

The puddies love their baths. If they hear a btah running, they are up the stairs and waiting. If I am in the bath, SDparky sits on the bath edge dipping his paws in the water. I think my Persian, Kea is too old to give a damn about bathing, being white and she goes outdoors, she needs to get the mud removed. She prefers a bath to being combed. Felix he afopted us and just does what the other two do. it can get hilarious when it comes to rinsing them. If they are going to sleep on our bed, they are going to be clean. The joys of being a mad cat woman

I still can't understand why they are charging that fee to Breadline.

Yikes GSMguy a bill for over £400 a year for water, but sounds like a high usage household, I'd get the dog to double up with one of the kids in the bath

I

The puddies love their baths. If they hear a btah running, they are up the stairs and waiting. If I am in the bath, SDparky sits on the bath edge dipping his paws in the water. I think my Persian, Kea is too old to give a damn about bathing, being white and she goes outdoors, she needs to get the mud removed. She prefers a bath to being combed. Felix he afopted us and just does what the other two do. it can get hilarious when it comes to rinsing them. If they are going to sleep on our bed, they are going to be clean. The joys of being a mad cat woman

I have a 9 month old half siamese called Cato (he really does leap around like Clouseau's man servant:D :D ) who does like walking around the perimeter of the bath when SWMBO is taking a bath, but he didn't like it too much when he fell in the other day!!:) The others steer well clear of it!! But Marley, who is nearly 15 and is black and white, does a superb job of keeping herself clean. She does go out a lot but she is always pristine. Her white bits positively sparkle:)

Yikes GSMguy a bill for over £400 a year for water, but sounds like a high usage household, I'd get the dog to double up with one of the kids in the bath

She has been known to.....

dsc02859rg9.jpg

But the kids always say she just jumped in... Yeah right.....

Mike

lmfao Aww, when I get a place of my own I'm getting a rescue doggie; it's second priority on my list, after building myself a greenhouse ;)

There's a certain breed of cat that loves the water, famous for it...the Bengal, I think...

EDIT: lol, and we won't revisit that pic on your kid fifteen years later... ;)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Guest Battleaxe

A Dutch Van cat loves water, they will play in it all day and if there is tap dripping, guess who will occupy your sink.

Battle Axe please get some pics up would love to see it, my cat only gets in the bath when i use the loo, hes straight for the plug hole.

IM sure he thinks having a wee is a group thing:rolleyes: "dont blame me!blame his mother!":D

He sits on the side when im having a bath and im more petrified than he is, as if he slips i get the brunt of the gripping and grabbing of some mighty painfull claws.:o

Looks like you folks have been getting it cheap...

Depends where in the county you live as to how much you pay for water, but certainly saving approximately 50% since the meter has been installed.

How about £616 :o a year on 2005-06 rates..... prior to installation.. 2 adult household only.